• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny CCW Story

j4l

With the right to exercise one's liberty comes great responsibility. As weapons carriers, we have taken on the requirement to act responsibly. No one can seriously debate that being drunk -- as the OP claimed -- does not affect one's judgement. We are still at a point in time where our right to carry defensive weapons is under attack, and the possibility/probability that at some point a drunk carrier will do something wrong is almost certain, and that will harm everyone's rights.

Look at the success that MADD has had on drunk driving in getting the DUI threshold lowered from 0.1 to 0.08 ... a level that is reached very quickly even by the most casual drinker. Why? Because it is recognized that one's reaction time and judgement are negatively affected by that level of alcohol.

Here in Virginia we are now allowed to CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, and I really enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner ... but I *won't*, because(1) I don't want there to be any chance of my judgement being compromised, (2) it's against the law and I don't want to lose my right to CC, and (3) I don't need the imputed liability of "being under the influence" if the shtf. Even though I could OC and still have that glass of wine, I *won't* because of (1) and (3).

To have someone post on this board and advocate carrying while drunk, and to have someone claim "no harm, no foul" is just irresponsible.

100% SPOT-ON. THAT, is the difference in question. We take on a huge responsibility with our arms. Sober OR drunk. Why risk that just so we can have a few drinks? If we arent mature enough to be able to restrain ourselves from a drink or three while packing, maybe we shouldnt be packing? C'mon, are we teenagers or adults,here?
And with as many anti's as there are already,some bonehead,somewhere, is eventually going to give them all the ammo they need to yank our rights from us.

HandyHamlet

Seriously, more people might actually post on these forums if EVERY SINGLE POST wasn't met with a "You handled that wrong" or a "You shouldn't have done that" or "Let me proceed to tell you why you are wrong, and I am right".

Now, I look forward to your elitist, confrontational reply.

Oh sweet irony... The life bread of trolls everywhere.

00009776.gif

MKEgal

As many others have already said, being drunk & having a firearm is a really stupid combination.
Beyond that, being drunk & having a firearm around other drunks is even more stupid.
Hopefully it's not a fatal mistake for you some day, or for someone around you & you end up sitting in prison because of it.

That being said, I could agree with having "use of firearm" laws similar to DUI laws - if you're found to have a BAC over the legal limit (same as cars) & you're carrying, you've committed a crime.
That allows for having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner, which for most people isn't impaired.

Besides, scaring other people with anything in regard to firearms isn't cool, unless it's the thug who's just stopped trying to attack you & started whining for his mama while he pees his pants.

BTW, just out of curiosity, if this grope-fest had degenerated into an orgy, how were you prepared to protect your gun?
Getting undressed, it was sure to come into view of the others in the room, and with them being both drunk & probably completely inexperienced with firearms they're sure to have been fascinated & wanted to handle it.
How had you planned to keep it out of reach of other (unqualified, unsafe, drunk) people?

UtahRSO

Yes, the OP had a fairly funny story... until I got to the PostScript.
I doubt that all the comments will change the OP's behavior, but that doesn't make them less true.
Alcohol (or any other mind-altering or brain-fuzzy-ing substance) and carrying surely shouldn't mix.

eye95

...I doubt that all the comments will change the OP's behavior, but that doesn't make them less true...

Just speaking gorilla to gorilla...

The OP won't be the only person reading the replies. Hosts on advice call-in shows know that their advice will likely NOT be followed by the caller. They are actually hoping that thousands of others facing similar dilemmas are listening and that a few dozen will put the advice into action.

I don't expect the OP to change his idiotic behavior. Someone else who is scrutinizing his behavior, with an eye to acting more maturely, might just take what we are saying to heart. He is the real target of our advice.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't expect the OP to change his idiotic behavior. Someone else who is scrutinizing his behavior, with an eye to acting more maturely, might just take what we are saying to heart. He is the real target of our advice.

DING, DING, DIIING!

We have a winner.:exclaim:....
icon14.png

Hef

Wow, you are probably the cutest lil guy I have ever come across! Alcohol is a negative factor when coupled with gun? Also, you say to drink when there's zero chance of me hurting someone?

Why is that? To me, it sounds like you don't trust yourself. If you don't trust yourself to drink and have a gun on you without shooting someone, you need to take a long hard look at yourself. I honestly feel bad for you, to be so unsure of yourself.

At no point did the gun come out. I wasn't waving it around or showing anyone. Get off your high ******* horse and quit being so uptight.

Seriously, more people might actually post on these forums if EVERY SINGLE POST wasn't met with a "You handled that wrong" or a "You shouldn't have done that" or "Let me proceed to tell you why you are wrong, and I am right".

Now, I look forward to your elitist, confrontational reply.

You'll learn, one way or another.

Claytron

Its VERY interesting seeing the comments on this page, ill agree thats its not smart to drink and carry simply because drinking isnt smart anyway. The interesting part is people saying that even touching an alcoholic drink while carrying is taboo are the same people who will learn about a store or establishment that doesnt allow firearms and isnt OC friendly, and go there SPECIFICALLY for the chance to cause a problem.

So why is bringing your gun with you JUST to flash it around at a place you know doesnt accept it any more mature than having a beer or two while carrying?

Could you live with yourself if you decided not to carry to a restaurant that served drinks because it was too "taboo", and ended up not being able to save the life of your loved ones?

I agree that people shouldnt carry when they have been drinking but thats following the philosophy that its not good to drink, period. Gun or no gun. But if you cannot safely hold a firearm after having a drink or two then you probably cannot hold it safely while sober either.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Its VERY interesting seeing the comments on this page, ill agree thats its not smart to drink and carry simply because drinking isnt smart anyway. The interesting part is people saying that even touching an alcoholic drink while carrying is taboo are the same people who will learn about a store or establishment that doesnt allow firearms and isnt OC friendly, and go there SPECIFICALLY for the chance to cause a problem.

So why is bringing your gun with you JUST to flash it around at a place you know doesnt accept it any more mature than having a beer or two while carrying?

Could you live with yourself if you decided not to carry to a restaurant that served drinks because it was too "taboo", and ended up not being able to save the life of your loved ones?

I agree that people shouldnt carry when they have been drinking but thats following the philosophy that its not good to drink, period. Gun or no gun. But if you cannot safely hold a firearm after having a drink or two then you probably cannot hold it safely while sober either.

This thread started with the OP saying that he knew he was posting to an inappropriate thread but didn't care, was going to do it anyway. Then regaled us with a tale of drunkenness and guns, defended it as being legal, instructed us to not lecture him and insulted the forum. Little question about what is in his wallet and it is not responsibility.

It may or may not be technically legal to have an adult beverage while carrying - it depends on the state. It is decidedly not directly beneficial to our image - something many work very hard at protecting. Frequently planned events go so far as taking the position that imbibing is not welcomed. It is all about image and public relations.

Everything else here is somewhat off target, not to the point.

EyeHog

<sarcasm>
Wow, the amount of maturity in the funny story is just astounding! I wish we had more responsible people like this!
</sarcasm>

In Missouri it is illegal to be in possesion of a firearm while intoxicated, which I think is a smart idea. Over all I think getting drunk is a pretty stupid idea. Why would I ever want to lose control of rational thought and actions? I love beer, but being drunk is just not for me.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I never drink & drive, nor Drink & Carry. 2 stupid things that I just won't do. Although I love Crown Royal, 1800 Sliver Tequila,Stoli Vodka & a good Bloody Mary but will never consume them while carrying & I never drink to the point of intoxication,.I am not a Beer person.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
P.S.- Yes, I was carrying while drunk. I do often, as there is no law against it in NH. If you can't responsibly carry while drunk, you probably shouldn't be carrying at all.

You, sir, are an irresponsible jackass. If you can't be responsible enough to remain sober while carrying, you definitely shouldn't be carrying at all. That's not a lecture but a simple observation of fact. If it won't work on you, at least perhaps someone else will take it to heart. I can only pray that when the times comes that you have a negligent discharge while intoxicated -- because it will -- nobody but you gets hurt.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran

Obviously you don't understand physiology. Do this experiment: Write the sentence, "I can write just fine after drinking." Have one drink, wait 30 minutes, and write it again. Repeat 3-4 times. The next day or the day after, compare all the written sentences. Even one drink diminishes fine motor skills. That is a medical fact. Every person has a threshold below which it is not safe for him/her to handle dangerous objects but none of us really know what that is. For some people, it is probably just one drink. It depends upon a lot of factors such as how accustomed we are to the task and the degree of muscle memory but you will only know what that is after you have found your limit and had a negligent discharge. I don't intend to find out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By acclimation, guns and alcohol are NOT a good mix.

Those that make bad choices must live with the results of their personal decisions.

SavageOne

<sarcasm>
Wow, the amount of maturity in the funny story is just astounding! I wish we had more responsible people like this!
</sarcasm>

In Missouri it is illegal to be in possesion of a firearm while intoxicated, which I think is a smart idea. Over all I think getting drunk is a pretty stupid idea. Why would I ever want to lose control of rational thought and actions? I love beer, but being drunk is just not for me.

I am afraid you are mistaken. In Missouri it is legal to be in possesion of a firearm while intoxicated, as long as you don't handle it in a negligent manner. If you look at post #18 of this thread you will see a link to applicable state statue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am afraid you are mistaken. In Missouri it is legal to be in possesion of a firearm while intoxicated, as long as you don't handle it in a negligent manner. If you look at post #18 of this thread you will see a link to applicable state statue.

Granted that there are states that offer more direct statutory protection to those that might imbibe while carrying. The objection to the OP's story was both in attitude and in postulating that "if you can't responsibly carry while drunk, you probably shouldn't be carrying at all."

He seems to have quit the field and left it for others to clean up his mess. No problem though as we are used to it and enjoy the exercise.

Gunslinger

Not really a "Tale of Self Defense" but I'm posting it here, anyways.

So, I carry 100% of the time, and I carry a S&W Sigma .40. Tonight, I went to a party with a friend, and didn't really know anyone else there. Like always, I'm carrying. So anyways, as the party is dying down I end up in a bedroom with 2 girls and 3 guys one of which was the friend I went to the party with, and he knows I carry.

Anyways, I see a poster on the wall that has the name of one of the girls sororities on it. The first word of the sorority is "Sigma". I ask her what it is, and she says it's the name of her sorority and quotes the Lil Wayne song "Like a Sigma"... Stompin on this beat like a motha****** Sigma.

I tell her Sigma is a gun, and she doesn't believe me. I say "Yes it is! Here, I'll show you!" and reach for something near my pocket. Everyone in the room jumped back in fear as I drew my... cell phone. I was going to show them a photo of a Sigma. People asked me if I had a handgun and me and my friend laughed as I said no.

Funny think is, I actually had my Sigma with me haha

P.S.- Yes, I was carrying while drunk. I do often, as there is no law against it in NH. If you can't responsibly carry while drunk, you probably shouldn't be carrying at all. So don't bother trying to lecture me.

There most certainly is a law against it in NH. "If you can't responsibily carry (drive a car, fly a plane) while drunk..."
This is a joke, right? Maybe the cop who sees you're carrying while intoxicated will get a kick out of it as he puts the cuffs on.

631:3 Reckless Conduct. –
I. A person is guilty of reckless conduct if he recklessly engages in conduct which places or may place another in danger of serious bodily injury.
II. Reckless conduct is a class B felony if the person uses a deadly weapon as defined in RSA 625:11, V. All other reckless conduct is a misdemeanor.
III. A person convicted of a class B felony offense under this section shall not be subject to the provisions of RSA 651:2, II-g.

Last edited: