Thread: What kind of gun has the cheapest ammo?

What kind of gun has the cheapest ammo?

I know there are many types of hand guns and I certainly want to read up on all the different types to know what kind to get in the future. But what are some that have the cheapest ammo?

.22LR, .22, .22 short, and .22 magnum.

So, any of the .22LR or the PMR-30 Kel-Tec .22 Magnum pistol.

There's a significant jump per round when you go up to .25, .32, .38, .380, 9MM etc.

.380 is probably the smallest/cheapest round that is still effective for defensive purposes. (.38 is way bigger).

A lot of people go with 9 MM because it's all over the place and pretty effective. Rounds bigger than 9 MM will have yet another price increase.

It sort of depends on what you are doing though, you can't beat the price for a nice .22LR pistol and a couple bricks of ammo for plinking/target.

Cheapest ammo for what? Long gun or hand gun?

.22LR is probably the cheapest you can go.

BB gun

.22 lr---550 rounds for less than 20 bucks. I try to buy .22 conversion kits for most of my guns--makes for a cheap day at the range.
    skorittnig

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Airsoft, it is only about $10 for 4000 rounds.

And thats the good ammo. lol
    Last edited by CalicoJack10; 03-19-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Rubber band gun. Sorry, I couldn't help it...

On the serious side:

It depends on what you are using it for. If it is a first gun for you and it is not going to be a carry weapon, I would suggest the .22 cal. I used to own a Ruger Mark II pistol in .22 long rifle (I gave it to my brother, which was stupid. I wish I still had it). The ammo itself is fairly inexpensive so you can shoot it a lot. Everyone should have a .22 pistol (even seasoned shooters) as you get a lot out of it. I had some of my best times out shooting with friends and a couple .22 LR pistols/rifles. There are a bunch of different manufacturers besides Ruger you should look at (Walther, SIG Sauer, Smith & Wesson, etc...).

If you are buying a pistol for carry (self defense), 9mm is perfectly acceptable. The practice ammo is relatively cheap (in comparison to larger calibers). You can expect to pay around $13-$16 for a box of 50, 115 grain FMJ. .40 S&W is about $7-$10 more a box. Once you get into jacketed hollowpoint self defense ammo, they are all pretty expensive. Another option is that you can buy conversion kits for some of the higher caliber pistols and convert them to .22 Long Rifle to use in practice (the conversion kits are fairly expensive though).
    Last edited by Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.; 03-19-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Felt bad about not giving any helpful information.
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

If we are talking about an inexpensive Hand gun round with an effective amount of stopping power. then I would say 9mm. Cheap ammo for target practice & the more expensive 115 grain or 124 grain +P Hollow points will put a bad guy down. The 124 grain Sub Sonic rounds will also do number on a scum bag too.
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Squirt gun.. Cheap ammo, although not very effective, unless your target is too hot.

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Wow!

I have one of these! The EVIL black one, though. :-p
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Squirt gun.. Cheap ammo, although not very effective, unless your target is too hot.
    I was gonna say a super soaker filled with gasoline.....but that would probably be the most expensive ammo right now...lol
    Rand Paul 2016

rocks in a slingshot

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar
    Straw and paper wads, Worked great in grade school.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQ34JTqk0I

In the ashes burns an ember of liberty, We are the fuel to ignite the ember into a flame of liberty.

The embodiment of our founding fathers will not be found in one man , But in Many.

****** give it away ( Our rights ) prostitutes sell it (Mandated training).

Load your own. Seriously, If you want to shoot any amount yet are on a budget, buy a press and the dies for your caliber. I'm loading .40 right now for about 17 cents a round. My new press cost $400 but I should make that back in savings this summer.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    Thomas Jefferson

The one you never have to pull.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

well,,,

im going to make some assumptions,,,,,,

you dont have a gun yet, and youre on a budget.
    not the time to start reloading, and 22 LR is only for play.

classic arms is selling used CZ-82 da/sa with holster, 2 12rd mags and holder for 200 bucks!
    caliber is 9X18mm makorav, for sale on line, cheaper than 9X19mm luger and 9X17mm 380 auto.

the only gun i know of thats cheaper would be hi-point, not recommended.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
    Load your own. Seriously, If you want to shoot any amount yet are on a budget, buy a press and the dies for your caliber. I'm loading .40 right now for about 17 cents a round. My new press cost $400 but I should make that back in savings this summer.
    +1

I just started reloading .44mag. Investment was about the same initially but I'm at about $4 per 100 round count shooting wad cutters. CTD price before shipping is $29 per box of 50 for the cheap and dirty Blazer brand.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom_fighter_of_america View Post
    I know there are many types of hand guns and I certainly want to read up on all the different types to know what kind to get in the future. But what are some that have the cheapest ammo?
    Whats YOUR life worth ???

Firearms and the Ammo they use fall into " You get what ya pay for " category.

If you aint worth nothin ....then buy the cheapest garbage you can get your hands on.
    The sky is the limit for what you can spend. Most of us try different brands and bullet weight combinations to find a happy compromise between consistent reliability and and affordability.

There are many things that can and do affect the price.

LEO Agencies use what they use for good reasons.

They want reliable primers that fire every time...."Click" is a bad sound in a self/home defense situation.

They want powders with little or no flash.Muzzle flash is a bad,...very bad thing in low light.How are you gonna do a follow up shot if your blind from the first shot.

Bullets are more than just a chunk of lead. A bullet that doesnt expand will could punch a wall and kill your wife and kid.
    A bullet that expands too much could plug up and fail to penetrate deep enough to stop the bad guy.

I shoot what I use...and use what I shoot. Yes,its expensive. But I am worth it.

I dont shoot to kill...I shoot to STAY alive.

What are you WORTH ???

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 03-20-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    .22 magnum.
    False.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    False.
    No doubt, last time I bought some it was $8 for 50. Wish I could reload THOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom_fighter_of_america View Post
    A .22LR pistol, revolver or rifle all shoot 525 rounds for about $16. 50 9x19 (9mm Luger) can be well under 10 bucks for Russkie; about $10 for decent US. It goes up rapidly from there. Get the .22 if you just want it to target shoot or plink; get a Ruger 9MM if you also want home defense. $250-300 buys a nice .22--Ruger, Browning, etc. $400 will buy a decent 9MM. Next up is .38 spcl at about $15-16 for 50. Talking revolvers now, and a nice Taurus will run less than the $400 for a 9MM. Check them all out and get what you like in one of the above calibers.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 03-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Really the best thing you could do was go out and shoot as many different options as possible before you make up your mind. Shoot semi's & revolvers, large frame & compact and as many different ammo options as possible.