• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What kind of gun has the cheapest ammo?

I know there are many types of hand guns and I certainly want to read up on all the different types to know what kind to get in the future. But what are some that have the cheapest ammo?

RR_Broccoli

.22LR, .22, .22 short, and .22 magnum.

So, any of the .22LR or the PMR-30 Kel-Tec .22 Magnum pistol.

There's a significant jump per round when you go up to .25, .32, .38, .380, 9MM etc.

.380 is probably the smallest/cheapest round that is still effective for defensive purposes. (.38 is way bigger).

A lot of people go with 9 MM because it's all over the place and pretty effective. Rounds bigger than 9 MM will have yet another price increase.

It sort of depends on what you are doing though, you can't beat the price for a nice .22LR pistol and a couple bricks of ammo for plinking/target.

skorittnig

.22 lr---550 rounds for less than 20 bucks. I try to buy .22 conversion kits for most of my guns--makes for a cheap day at the range.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Rubber band gun. Sorry, I couldn't help it... :)

On the serious side:

It depends on what you are using it for. If it is a first gun for you and it is not going to be a carry weapon, I would suggest the .22 cal. I used to own a Ruger Mark II pistol in .22 long rifle (I gave it to my brother, which was stupid. I wish I still had it). The ammo itself is fairly inexpensive so you can shoot it a lot. Everyone should have a .22 pistol (even seasoned shooters) as you get a lot out of it. I had some of my best times out shooting with friends and a couple .22 LR pistols/rifles. There are a bunch of different manufacturers besides Ruger you should look at (Walther, SIG Sauer, Smith & Wesson, etc...).

If you are buying a pistol for carry (self defense), 9mm is perfectly acceptable. The practice ammo is relatively cheap (in comparison to larger calibers). You can expect to pay around $13-$16 for a box of 50, 115 grain FMJ. .40 S&W is about $7-$10 more a box. Once you get into jacketed hollowpoint self defense ammo, they are all pretty expensive. Another option is that you can buy conversion kits for some of the higher caliber pistols and convert them to .22 Long Rifle to use in practice (the conversion kits are fairly expensive though).

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
If we are talking about an inexpensive Hand gun round with an effective amount of stopping power. then I would say 9mm. Cheap ammo for target practice & the more expensive 115 grain or 124 grain +P Hollow points will put a bad guy down. The 124 grain Sub Sonic rounds will also do number on a scum bag too.

Last edited:

Carcharodon

Load your own. Seriously, If you want to shoot any amount yet are on a budget, buy a press and the dies for your caliber. I'm loading .40 right now for about 17 cents a round. My new press cost $400 but I should make that back in savings this summer.

1245A Defender

well,,,

im going to make some assumptions,,,,,,

you dont have a gun yet, and youre on a budget.
not the time to start reloading, and 22 LR is only for play.

classic arms is selling used CZ-82 da/sa with holster, 2 12rd mags and holder for 200 bucks!
caliber is 9X18mm makorav, for sale on line, cheaper than 9X19mm luger and 9X17mm 380 auto.

the only gun i know of thats cheaper would be hi-point, not recommended.

anmut

Load your own. Seriously, If you want to shoot any amount yet are on a budget, buy a press and the dies for your caliber. I'm loading .40 right now for about 17 cents a round. My new press cost $400 but I should make that back in savings this summer.

+1

I just started reloading .44mag. Investment was about the same initially but I'm at about $4 per 100 round count shooting wad cutters. CTD price before shipping is $29 per box of 50 for the cheap and dirty Blazer brand.

LR Yote 312

I know there are many types of hand guns and I certainly want to read up on all the different types to know what kind to get in the future. But what are some that have the cheapest ammo?

Whats YOUR life worth ???

Firearms and the Ammo they use fall into " You get what ya pay for " category.

If you aint worth nothin ....then buy the cheapest garbage you can get your hands on.
The sky is the limit for what you can spend. Most of us try different brands and bullet weight combinations to find a happy compromise between consistent reliability and and affordability.

There are many things that can and do affect the price.

LEO Agencies use what they use for good reasons.

They want reliable primers that fire every time...."Click" is a bad sound in a self/home defense situation.

They want powders with little or no flash.Muzzle flash is a bad,...very bad thing in low light.How are you gonna do a follow up shot if your blind from the first shot.

Bullets are more than just a chunk of lead. A bullet that doesnt expand will could punch a wall and kill your wife and kid.
A bullet that expands too much could plug up and fail to penetrate deep enough to stop the bad guy.

I shoot what I use...and use what I shoot. Yes,its expensive. But I am worth it.

I dont shoot to kill...I shoot to STAY alive.

What are you WORTH ???

LR Yote

Last edited: