• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What kind of gun has the cheapest ammo?

Gunslinger

I know there are many types of hand guns and I certainly want to read up on all the different types to know what kind to get in the future. But what are some that have the cheapest ammo?

A .22LR pistol, revolver or rifle all shoot 525 rounds for about $16. 50 9x19 (9mm Luger) can be well under 10 bucks for Russkie; about $10 for decent US. It goes up rapidly from there. Get the .22 if you just want it to target shoot or plink; get a Ruger 9MM if you also want home defense. $250-300 buys a nice .22--Ruger, Browning, etc. $400 will buy a decent 9MM. Next up is .38 spcl at about $15-16 for 50. Talking revolvers now, and a nice Taurus will run less than the $400 for a 9MM. Check them all out and get what you like in one of the above calibers.

Last edited:

anmut

Really the best thing you could do was go out and shoot as many different options as possible before you make up your mind. Shoot semi's & revolvers, large frame & compact and as many different ammo options as possible.