Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holdup on the Lake

Holdup on the Lake

This was told to me by my husband. A friend of his, he is around 62, was fishing in his
    lil boat on Percy Priest Lake in Nashville, TN. This occurred Summer 2010. He was minding his own business, fishing alone in his boat, when another male boater pulled up beside him and held up his gun and demanded his wallet and fishing equipment.
    The friend never goes anywhere without his gun, so he pulled it out of his holster and said I don't think so, you need to leave. Guy took off real quick! You can't even go fishing anymore and have a peaceful Saturday afternoon on the lake without someone trying to rob you.

There have been a lot of break ins at the parking lots there as well. Be careful out there.

i'd disarm the bad guy then cap his boat and tell him to have a nice swim!

Yep take his key and toss it in the water, then pull his plug. Then tell him to have a nice day.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

ya that would work. It amazes me how stupid some folks are. Got to watch them in Ky and TN they don't mess around down there
    Quote Originally Posted by js5439 View Post

act of inland piracy on the high lakes should have made him get in the water then keelhauled him with a johnboat garrrrr maties it's capt trebblehook .....garrrrr
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

Banned
    I wonder what Colorado laws you would have broken by doing so. Disarming him would have been lawful (assuming that CO law allows for self-defense). CO law might even allow to arrest him, using force if necessary. However, putting a hole in his boat would, in most jurisdictions, be considered "malicious mischief" (or equivalent) and open you to criminal charges and/or a civil suit.

Oh, and it would be a stupid thing to do anyway, unlawful or not. Your predispositions mean that I would not want to be within range of you while you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    ...stuff...Oh, and it would be a stupid thing to do anyway, unlawful or not. Your predispositions mean that I would not want to be within range of you while you are carrying.
    I bet you're just a riot at parties. *facepalm*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CO-Joe View Post
    I bet you're just a riot at parties. *facepalm*
    Well, if you need clarity, I'll just be more blunt: I don't brook stupidity disguised as humor.

Oh, and if you want to snip a quote, the proper way to do so is to use ellipses (...) for missing text. On message boards, some folks use a [snip] tag. Inserting a word that is not from the original quote, thereby implying that it was, is not Kosher.

While I wouldn't do it, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to teach the perp a lesson without the need of going to court. And I mean a lesson that's more than simply them learning they could have a gun pulled on them.

A bit of citizen's justice (within reason) could be just as effective, or more effective, than actual litigation/charges. It would give criminals one more thing to worry about (court, their own life if the target is armed, or even the "victim" turning the tables and applying a bit of their own justice). But of course something like this would require the "victim" to be reasonable in what they did and we all know our citizens aren't reasonable.

Well, if you need clarity, I'll just be more blunt: I don't brook stupidity disguised as humor.
    Heh, that's...great. I'm glad to see someone out there knows how to have some afternoon fun time with a thesaurus. Indeed, in my one line snarky comment, I may have measured you incorrectly after all; you might get along at the local Friends of Shakespeare chapter, but I imagine the egoism would soon turn them off as well.

I pity the person who can't laugh at the occasional stupid situation, or giggle at a dumb joke. In this case, the purely hypothetical pleasure derived from the cartoon-like sinking of a foolish would-be robber. Even children know that Schadenfreude is superior to lesser forms of humor, and Schadenfreude at the expense of evil-doers (even if they are imaginary) is all the more delicious.

If your sense humor is so broken, at some level, you must understand his comment was purely in jest, and that he truly wouldn't discharge a firearm unless the situation warranted it... So, what's the compulsion to make a derisive post that serves exactly no purpose? If you don't like his humor, would it not be more judicious to tell him so, rather than berate him about the finer points of law that have exactly zero chance of being called into use--or better yet, to ignore the whole thing?

And, the really sad thing about this whole thread is this: While it's certainly possible, if not probable, that someone, somewhere encountered a boat-faring stickup man, and it's even possible that events unfolded as such, let's take this for what it is. A fish story. Literally. You're trying to make a point that didn't ever need to be made, based *A FISH TALE*. What special brand of silliness is this?

Founder's Club Member

Pro-Sinkers are Dead

What the "sink him" advocates are overlooking is that by sinking him, you are unnecessarily threatening his life, and are now open to his killing you in self-defense to prevent you pulling his plug. What if he has another gun?

Some humor just isn't well-advised on a public forum unless it is clearly labelled as humor. And, maybe not even then in some cases.

Popcorn was invented for just this kind of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Popcorn was invented for just this kind of thread.

Ummm, no one finds it odd that the first post of this person (rustybucket) is this unlikely story.

He hasn't logged in since the 19th and hasn't followed up with his "story".

If someone holds you up, and you reach for your gun. You are likely going to get shot in the process.

I would say troll on this story.
    Last edited by Grimes; 03-21-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can see the BG temporarily displaying a gun, then putting it down in anticipation of getting the 'handout.' Especially with having to control the boat, etc.

I'm think two to the chest, the rest broadside at the waterline.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    What the "sink him" advocates are overlooking is that by sinking him, you are unnecessarily threatening his life, and are now open to his killing you in self-defense to prevent you pulling his plug. What if he has another gun?

Some humor just isn't well-advised on a public forum unless it is clearly labelled as humor. And, maybe not even then in some cases.
    You could also argue that by putting a hole in the boat you aren't holding him there which means unless you used a cannon there's no reason he shouldn't be able to get back to land before the boat sinks. So his life would only be threatened if he were to stay out in the middle of the lake AND couldn't swim, as opposed to returning to land and thinking about what he's done.

Again, not that I would do this and I understand that there's a reason we have laws. But I can also see the value in some simple citizen justice as a deterrent to crime.

damn folks its just a ******* joke i said to get a few laughs
    i wouldn't really have done it its sarcasm

lighten up and if you work real hard maybe you will be able to crack a smile someday

"that's funny i don't care who you are" Larry the Cable Guy

Banned
    ...lighten up and if you work real hard maybe you will be able to crack a smile someday...
    Not likely at your inane attempts at humor.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

what do you do for a living audit people or foreclose on houses?

Banned
    Ah, name-calling.

Well played, sir!

*disposes of all future posts by the name-caller*

damn folks its just a ******* joke i said to get a few laughs
    i wouldn't really have done it its sarcasm

lighten up and if you work real hard maybe you will be able to crack a smile someday

"that's funny i don't care who you are" Larry the Cable Guy
    Actually it was quite unfunny. It seems that the only thing funny you have done is try to defend your so called humor.

Stay away from trying to be humorous, you are quite bad at it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimes View Post

I would say troll on this story.
    Smartest post in the whole thread.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Oh, and if you want to snip a quote, the proper way to do so is to use ellipses (...) for missing text. On message boards, some folks use a [snip] tag. Inserting a word that is not from the original quote, thereby implying that it was, is not Kosher.
    You said "Kosher." That means you're anti-Semitic I think...

Under Colorado law, that he pulled or displayed a gun while in the process of committing a crime of violence, to wit: armed robbery, justifies deadly force if in imminent fear of death or grievous bodily injury. That he held a firearm is prima facie justification of that fear. And dead bodies can't testify against you.

Red face The "troll" is back...

1. I am not a troll, just first time poster with a real story to tell..
    2. 4 angry badgers... Love the deer eating popcorn!!
    3. My husband's friend has had the same thing happen to him in his long fishing "career"
    at various lakes around Nashville, not always in a boat. Even shore fishing he had had
    a gun pulled on him. Obviously not fishing in the nicest neighborhoods!

4. The point is, you never know when someone might pull a gun on you, snatch your purse off your shoulder in a Walmart parking lot.happened to me in college.
    (I am female).. threaten you with a knife... in New Orleans on vacation, never going there again... or rednecks come to your house threatening your life!
    Husband met them at the gate with a large stick...he was asked "What's the stick for?"
    He replied.."It's my equalizer, there's two of you and one of me." They left quickly.
    And just cause I want to...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You said "Kosher." That means you're anti-Semitic I think...

Under Colorado law, that he pulled or displayed a gun while in the process of committing a crime of violence, to wit: armed robbery, justifies deadly force if in imminent fear of death or grievous bodily injury. That he held a firearm is prima facie justification of that fear. And dead bodies can't testify against you.
    Knock off the personal insults. You are better than that.

BTW, a large portion of my family is Jewish. My niece is in Israel right now, studying to become a rabbi. You might want to REthink.

On point: Reread the post. He said that he'd disarm the guy (yeah, right) and THEN put a cap in his boat. Once the threat is over, putting the bullet in the boat would be assault, assuming that the perp lived.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast