• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holdup on the Lake

rustybucket

This was told to me by my husband. A friend of his, he is around 62, was fishing in his
lil boat on Percy Priest Lake in Nashville, TN. This occurred Summer 2010. He was minding his own business, fishing alone in his boat, when another male boater pulled up beside him and held up his gun and demanded his wallet and fishing equipment.
The friend never goes anywhere without his gun, so he pulled it out of his holster and said I don't think so, you need to leave. Guy took off real quick! :shocker: You can't even go fishing anymore and have a peaceful Saturday afternoon on the lake without someone trying to rob you.

There have been a lot of break ins at the parking lots there as well. Be careful out there.

bushwacker

act of inland piracy on the high lakes should have made him get in the water then keelhauled him with a johnboat garrrrr maties it's capt trebblehook .....garrrrr

eye95

i'd disarm the bad guy then cap his boat and tell him to have a nice swim!:lol:

I wonder what Colorado laws you would have broken by doing so. Disarming him would have been lawful (assuming that CO law allows for self-defense). CO law might even allow to arrest him, using force if necessary. However, putting a hole in his boat would, in most jurisdictions, be considered "malicious mischief" (or equivalent) and open you to criminal charges and/or a civil suit.

Oh, and it would be a stupid thing to do anyway, unlawful or not. Your predispositions mean that I would not want to be within range of you while you are carrying.

CO-Joe

...stuff...Oh, and it would be a stupid thing to do anyway, unlawful or not. Your predispositions mean that I would not want to be within range of you while you are carrying.

I bet you're just a riot at parties. *facepalm*

eye95

I bet you're just a riot at parties. *facepalm*

Well, if you need clarity, I'll just be more blunt: I don't brook stupidity disguised as humor.

Oh, and if you want to snip a quote, the proper way to do so is to use ellipses (...) for missing text. On message boards, some folks use a [snip] tag. Inserting a word that is not from the original quote, thereby implying that it was, is not Kosher.

Aknazer

While I wouldn't do it, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to teach the perp a lesson without the need of going to court. And I mean a lesson that's more than simply them learning they could have a gun pulled on them.

A bit of citizen's justice (within reason) could be just as effective, or more effective, than actual litigation/charges. It would give criminals one more thing to worry about (court, their own life if the target is armed, or even the "victim" turning the tables and applying a bit of their own justice). But of course something like this would require the "victim" to be reasonable in what they did and we all know our citizens aren't reasonable.

CO-Joe

Well, if you need clarity, I'll just be more blunt: I don't brook stupidity disguised as humor.

Heh, that's...great. I'm glad to see someone out there knows how to have some afternoon fun time with a thesaurus. Indeed, in my one line snarky comment, I may have measured you incorrectly after all; you might get along at the local Friends of Shakespeare chapter, but I imagine the egoism would soon turn them off as well.

I pity the person who can't laugh at the occasional stupid situation, or giggle at a dumb joke. In this case, the purely hypothetical pleasure derived from the cartoon-like sinking of a foolish would-be robber. Even children know that Schadenfreude is superior to lesser forms of humor, and Schadenfreude at the expense of evil-doers (even if they are imaginary) is all the more delicious.

If your sense humor is so broken, at some level, you must understand his comment was purely in jest, and that he truly wouldn't discharge a firearm unless the situation warranted it... So, what's the compulsion to make a derisive post that serves exactly no purpose? If you don't like his humor, would it not be more judicious to tell him so, rather than berate him about the finer points of law that have exactly zero chance of being called into use--or better yet, to ignore the whole thing?

And, the really sad thing about this whole thread is this: While it's certainly possible, if not probable, that someone, somewhere encountered a boat-faring stickup man, and it's even possible that events unfolded as such, let's take this for what it is. A fish story. Literally. You're trying to make a point that didn't ever need to be made, based *A FISH TALE*. What special brand of silliness is this?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Pro-Sinkers are Dead

What the "sink him" advocates are overlooking is that by sinking him, you are unnecessarily threatening his life, and are now open to his killing you in self-defense to prevent you pulling his plug. What if he has another gun?

Some humor just isn't well-advised on a public forum unless it is clearly labelled as humor. And, maybe not even then in some cases.

4angrybadgers

Popcorn was invented for just this kind of thread. :)
deerpopcorn.gif

Grimes

Ummm, no one finds it odd that the first post of this person (rustybucket) is this unlikely story.

He hasn't logged in since the 19th and hasn't followed up with his "story".

If someone holds you up, and you reach for your gun. You are likely going to get shot in the process.

I would say troll on this story.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

I can see the BG temporarily displaying a gun, then putting it down in anticipation of getting the 'handout.' Especially with having to control the boat, etc.

I'm think two to the chest, the rest broadside at the waterline.

Aknazer

What the "sink him" advocates are overlooking is that by sinking him, you are unnecessarily threatening his life, and are now open to his killing you in self-defense to prevent you pulling his plug. What if he has another gun?

Some humor just isn't well-advised on a public forum unless it is clearly labelled as humor. And, maybe not even then in some cases.

You could also argue that by putting a hole in the boat you aren't holding him there which means unless you used a cannon there's no reason he shouldn't be able to get back to land before the boat sinks. So his life would only be threatened if he were to stay out in the middle of the lake AND couldn't swim, as opposed to returning to land and thinking about what he's done.

Again, not that I would do this and I understand that there's a reason we have laws. But I can also see the value in some simple citizen justice as a deterrent to crime.

js5439

damn folks its just a ******* joke i said to get a few laughs
i wouldn't really have done it its sarcasm

lighten up and if you work real hard maybe you will be able to crack a smile someday

"that's funny i don't care who you are" Larry the Cable Guy