• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crimson Trace for pocket pistols

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I'm looking to get a Crimson Trace laser sight for my Kahr PM9. I sometimes carry it around the house in a Desantis Pocket holster when I'm not carrying one of my main carry guns on my belt (or it plays a backup role while I am carrying something else).

Do any of you out there have issues with the laser being activated while in your pocket? I'll probably get the laser sight regardless, but I'm just curious if anyone has had issues. In looking at the holstered gun it doesn't seem like there will be an issue but you never know... Thank you.

flb_78

I have a LCP with a Crimson Trace on it. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis holster that's designed for use with the Crimson trace.

jeeper1

It depends on where the trigger button for the CT is. On my Taurus 85 it is slightly off-center to the right behind the revolvers trigger.
On my Beretta 92FS it is on the right grip panel where it can easily be triggered by brushing against things. Those grips didn't stay on the firearm very long because as a lefty I couldn't comfortably reach the button.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

It depends on where the trigger button for the CT is. On my Taurus 85 it is slightly off-center to the right behind the revolvers trigger.
On my Beretta 92FS it is on the right grip panel where it can easily be triggered by brushing against things. Those grips didn't stay on the firearm very long because as a lefty I couldn't comfortably reach the button.

It's the version with the laser attached to the trigger guard with the button on the fore of the grip. It seems like this is less likely to be actuated than the models that have the "on" button as part of the side of the grip.

irish52084

It's the version with the laser attached to the trigger guard with the button on the fore of the grip. It seems like this is less likely to be actuated than the models that have the "on" button as part of the side of the grip.

Is it a pressure switch? I have always hated lights with pressure switches, because you have to grip them a certain way and it may not be ideal. As for my very limited experience with lasers, I always felt like I shot better and faster with standard sights vs laser.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Is it a pressure switch? I have always hated lights with pressure switches, because you have to grip them a certain way and it may not be ideal. As for my very limited experience with lasers, I always felt like I shot better and faster with standard sights vs laser.

It is a pressure switch located under your middle finger, on the front of the grip, just underneath the trigger guard. I agree with you that most pressure switches aren't all that great (especially when located on the side of the grip). The forward pointing Crimson Trace switch seems to work pretty well however.

I can certainly shoot much faster using the standard sights. I'll mostly be using it when training at the range to help me diagnose problems in my technique with the PM9. I can shoot fairly well with it but it does take a really steady hand to be accurate when doing longer range drills at 25 yards (this seems to be my limit in shooting this pistol fairly accurately). Granted, if I ever have to use it in self defense (and I pray to the powers that be that I don't ever have to), it will most likely be used at shorter range. You never know though, do you?

irish52084

There are some situations that a laser is quite helpful, and if the switch works without having to alter a good solid grip, then I think they're great. They excel if you have to shoot over or around something and can see the dot so you don't have to expose yourself.

j4l

" You never know though, do you? "

No, you dont. So train for targets near and far as often as possible. And train to do so strong hand and weak hand,because you never know when one hand or the other may be damaged,disabled or otherwise occupied at the moment things kick off.

But to lasers, like anything else, they take some getting used to. If you get them, just practice with them as often as possible, until you get the "feel" of them-triggering-wise.
There are holsters out there made specifically for Crimson-trace equipped pistols-if there's one specific for yours, it should'nt be an issue. If carried loose,in a pocket or whatever,yes they can be triggered when you dont intend to.
Also, some snap caps, if you dont already have them. Practice drawing-from concealment ,if you are concealing,-then lasing/and getting that 1st shot off.

One other thing about the lasers though. Great for night/low-light, but in bright light/daylight, not so visible.So, dont neglect learning that front-sight,press routine in favor of the laser.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

" You never know though, do you? "

No, you dont. So train for targets near and far as often as possible. And train to do so strong hand and weak hand,because you never know when one hand or the other may be damaged,disabled or otherwise occupied at the moment things kick off.

But to lasers, like anything else, they take some getting used to. If you get them, just practice with them as often as possible, until you get the "feel" of them-triggering-wise.
There are holsters out there made specifically for Crimson-trace equipped pistols-if there's one specific for yours, it should'nt be an issue. If carried loose,in a pocket or whatever,yes they can be triggered when you dont intend to.
Also, some snap caps, if you dont already have them. Practice drawing-from concealment ,if you are concealing,-then lasing/and getting that 1st shot off.

One other thing about the lasers though. Great for night/low-light, but in bright light/daylight, not so visible.So, dont neglect learning that front-sight,press routine in favor of the laser.

Thanks for the advice j4l.

I agree that one should train at different distances w/ both strong/weak hand (it's also great to practice moving while shooting, shooting from cover, moving targets, malfunction drills etc...). I'm fortunate that I'm able to get to my gun club twice a week to practice and run the paces through different drills. I don't use snap caps so often anymore (I probably should use them more) as I have fairly good trigger control with most of my pistols.

For some reason, I'm just not as consistent with the PM9 versus my other guns at 20+ yards (closer in I have no problems). Granted, the pistol is not meant to be used too far out. I know that it's not my eyesight as I can consistantly hit a metal gong at 75 yards w/ my G19/G33. Hopefully, the laser will help me tighten my groups with the Kahr at longer range. As for self defense, I probably would completely ignore the laser altogether. In that circumstance I would be just barely forming a sight picture and using more of a point shoot technique while activating the trigger as quickly as possible.

j4l

True enough, but once you get well-practiced with it, it will become second-nature. It can greatly speed-up the processes sometimes-especially that 1st shot.
Same idea kinda/sorta w/ the aimpoints and holosights w/ the red dots.