• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of Carry into Churches, Schools, and Colleges/Universities

jmwildenthal

I've gone through the fifty states on www.handgunlaw.us, compiling the legality of carrying into churches, schools, and colleges/universities. I've attached the summary as a Word doc because Excel isn't supported.

There are many states that allow you to carry outside the school. I have generally listed them as "prohibited". The laws about that may be "during drop off", "drop off or parked", or "outside the buildings". Rather than try to distinguish between the three, I listed them all as "prohibited" - if you live there you will probably know better. If you don't live there, you probably aren't dropping someone off. The states that allow you to carry into schools only with permission are also listed as "prohibited". However states where you may carry in a church after receiving permission are listed as "permission". I feel there are very few, if any, school boards that would give permission. And that churches are at least a possibility.

If you see any mistakes, please point them out.

Maybe we can get a map generated after we refine this as needed?

Attachments

• Church_Schools.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 789

eye95

Can you cite your source that states the carry in churches is legal in North Carolina? This would be welcome news to me should it prove to be true.

Thanks,

Greg.

There is likely no law making carry in a church legal. The law does not work that way. it tends to be a list of things you may not do, not a list of things you may. So, absent a law stating that carry in a church is illegal, such would be legal.

In Alabama, it is legal to carry in a church since there is no law prohibiting such carry.

Greg Bradburn

There is likely no law making carry in a church legal. The law does not work that way. it tends to be a list of things you may not do, not a list of things you may. So, absent a law stating that carry in a church is illegal, such would be legal.

In Alabama, it is legal to carry in a church since there is no law prohibiting such carry.

Gotcha. I'm just looking for confirmation because I seem to remember, when I took the CCH course, hearing that carrying in churches was prohibited.

I looked up the NC regs and unless churches fall into this category, I guess it's legal:
f. Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;

Last edited:

eye95

Gotcha. I'm just looking for confirmation because I seem to remember, when I took the CCH course, hearing that carrying in churches was prohibited.

I looked up the NC regs and unless churches fall into this category, I guess it's legal:
f. Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;

A lot of folks here in AL, including many LEOs, would say that carry in a church is illegal. It is amazing how much myth has crept into what many believe about the law.

IANAL, but I'd say that, unless you can find case law or an AG opinion stating otherwise, churches (at least the sanctuaries) would constitute an "area of assembly."

aadvark

Greg Bradburn:

Under North Carolina Law, it is Perfectly Legal to Carry a Firearm into a Church.

A Church is neither an Assembly nor Establishment, under North Carolina General Statute 14-269.3.

However, a Church is Private Property, and, as such, may Legally Prohibit such Carry under The Guise of a Criminal Trespassing Statue, under North Carolina General Statute Article 22B of Chapter 14 of such General Statutes.

aadvark

*** Many States Allow Church Carry by Default, however, there are some Southern States that do not. North Dakota is the ONLY State West of The Mississippi River that has a State-wide Ban on Church Carry. ***

KBCraig

Thanks for the compilation.

Here's a .PDF version for those who can't open Word documents.

Attachments

• Church_Schools.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 475

hermannr

I do not understand your "civil" designation...as in WA colleges and universities. While some (not all) colleges and universities in WA put in the STUDENT RULES book that students cannot carry on University property, it is perfectly LEGAL to do so.

If you are not a student, the student rules apply, even if it is also Perfectly Legal to do so.

IMHO: it is impropper for the University Regents to put that rule in their student handbooks, and I think push comes to shove if that question goes to court thenRegents would loose, but it has never gone to court. Also, the attempt to specifically codify student carry on campus failed this year in the legislature.

Personally I did not like the undergrad dorm restriction anyway, so I am not that sad that this particular version didn't pass.

hermannr

Lt: Other than the prohibition for students in the student handbook, I see nothing for WSU....I know you are better at the WAC's than I am...I can hold my own on ths RCWs (they count) never paid much attention to the WAC's.

Don't remember anything for Skagit Valley College back in the days I went there either????

hermannr

Ok Lt. Thanks//// I see SVC rules are dated 1989...long after I left. :D

I just don't remember it ever comming up, but then I may be part of why it's there now.:eek:

Went through all of WSU's WACs, and only found the restrictions for teh students, and the one you note.

I saw another post, Don't remember where, where a WSU professor wanted that info, as he also noted that there was no published WAC that prevented a professor from carrying while he was on WSU property.

Last edited:

Campo6245

I've gone through the fifty states on www.handgunlaw.us, compiling the legality of carrying into churches, schools, and colleges/universities. I've attached the summary as a Word doc because Excel isn't supported.

There are many states that allow you to carry outside the school. I have generally listed them as "prohibited". The laws about that may be "during drop off", "drop off or parked", or "outside the buildings". Rather than try to distinguish between the three, I listed them all as "prohibited" - if you live there you will probably know better. If you don't live there, you probably aren't dropping someone off. The states that allow you to carry into schools only with permission are also listed as "prohibited". However states where you may carry in a church after receiving permission are listed as "permission". I feel there are very few, if any, school boards that would give permission. And that churches are at least a possibility.

If you see any mistakes, please point them out.

Maybe we can get a map generated after we refine this as needed?

They won't let you carry in a k-12, or even near it in RI. Unless you are a LEO. Legally you can carry in a college if you have a permit, but if you attend the college as a student the handbook states you can not. Of course, however, it is not illegal, but you may be let go from the school.

Monroe

Is WAC Law?

Since WAC is not law0

Not trying to start a flame war here...
:confused:

I thought that the legislature voted to enact the WAC, and that gives it the force of law. The individual parts are not voted on, and are created by agencies, but I believe that the legal force of the code is because it is enacted by the legislature.

Last edited: