• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC Outting Advice?

Josh R.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any first time advice for me. Certain places to advoid, certain places that are more open to it. Things like that and anything else you all may think is important for me to know. I'm don't think I'm ready to take that step yet, just want to prepare for when I am and when I am all educated up.

Thabks

x3atthis

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any first time advice for me. Certain places to advoid, certain places that are more open to it. Things like that and anything else you all may think is important for me to know. I'm don't think I'm ready to take that step yet, just want to prepare for when I am and when I am all educated up.

Thabks

Well if you're nervous about confrontation from a business or something of that manner, I would suggest going to a store that has a well known policy of allowing open carrying. Personally, I went to Starbucks my first time due to their corporate policy allowing openly carried weapons.

ApacheBunny

Well dont look like me is good advice lol, I have a natural scowl. Some sheeple are gonna be huge arses about it, but that wont be for too long after it gets normalized. If you are uneasy about OCing I would just start at the local store that knows you a bit more, it's what I did and it got easier after a few tries (my first time I broke the law with a loaded mag in my gun during driving).

jt59

You should read the thread on South Sound Carry...start from the beginning. It will give you a long list of places that you won't have to worry about.

Then, get yourself a starbucks, take your grocery list to Albertsons' or Safeway and go about your business....stop off at Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up some stuff on the Honey do, list... and plan on coming to one or two of the meet and greets....Go in and make a deposit in your bank, unless it's US Bank or Chase, or BOA, unless your local branch manager doesn't care...get a mitful of the OCDO handouts and stick them in your pocket to give to folks when you get asked questions...and definately go have lunch at Cabella's.

Basically, go where you normally go and do your best to just act normal until it feels like you are just acting normal.....when you need to think for a moment which side your cell phone is on vs your sidearm, you'll be pretty close.

have fun....it will freeing experience.

Last edited:

DevinWKuska

OC into your local gunstore/sporting goods store! Havent heard of anyone getting harassed about OC in a gunstore yet... unless maybe you had your hand rested on the handle and your finger through the trigger guard.... but thats niether here nor there! I think most places(aside from the usual suspects) are pretty good about OC. Now if you WANT to get confronted OC a long gun...

x3atthis

OC into your local gunstore/sporting goods store! Havent heard of anyone getting harassed about OC in a gunstore yet... unless maybe you had your hand rested on the handle and your finger through the trigger guard.... but thats niether here nor there! I think most places(aside from the usual suspects) are pretty good about OC. Now if you WANT to get confronted OC a long gun...

For the intent of covering your bases and ensuring a positive experience, make sure if you go to a gun store that you check their carry policy before going. We have a large store in my city, not in the worst part of town but not in the best either, that is very popular. They have a large selection as well as an indoor range. They've also been robbed quite often, and actually don't permit loaded weapons in their store. Some say its because of the range, others say its because folks are trying holsters on, others say its the crime. Either way, I'm glad that before I went in I knew that I had to go up to the counter to clear my weapon at the counter and leave the magazine out, because it could have been potentially flustering.

Oh...and I forgot to tell you before...relax! You're nervous about people's reactions I assume? Think about it, which do you think would make the soccer mom in the grocery more anxious about a gun, a calm regular guy doing his grocery shopping who happens to have a gun on his hip, or the dude who's glancing all over and clearly nervous, while wearing a gun?

I also suggest going out with friends. You'll be talking and interacting and whatnot, you'll completely forget you're even carrying.

1911er

Hey josh if you feel like it come on down to cabelas today. I will be out in front of the store with the gold ProspectorsIf you dont see someone out there packing ask for Clay. I would be more than willing to walk around and BS with you for a bit in the store if it would make you feel more at ease.

amlevin

If your dress and demeanor doesn't draw any undue attention, chances are the addition of a gun, openly carried, won't change that. Dress in an attention getting manner or behave like someone they don't want in their place of business and the gun will magnify all these traits.

Just act normal. Pretend that that firearm you're carrying has been there since you were able to walk. Don't check it regularly, just go about your business.

sudden valley gunner

Just act normal. Pretend that that firearm you're carrying has been there since you were able to walk. Don't check it regularly, just go about your business.

+1

Just act like you belong people will assume you do. Be very friendly, don't be afraid to strike up friendly conversations, I have seen peoples whole demeanor change, because made simple friendly chit chat with them. It can be simple things, like "So glad the sun came out today", " hope this rain quits soon", I remember one lady and husband with a cute little girl of about 2, looked kinda worried behind me, I smiled told them how there daughter reminded me of mine at that age. You could see the physical change of mindset in their instantly relaxed body language and the how the smiled and talked kids with me.

Now they have to think twice the next time they hear about how bad gun people are because they won't help but remember the nice guy who was Openly Carrying in the grocery line.