• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boise State University

jimd_21

Ok this is to the people close to BSU. It has been said and proven in the Idaho House debate about HB0222 that open carry is legal on campus. The campus policy does not allow firearms. So...... why don't the open carry crowed do a protest on campus? they are not students so can't be expelled, only asked to leave.

The only reason i bring this up is i remember the Boise Zoo story. Why not get more press on this?

ecocks

Actually, I don't think they can ask you to leave. Well, they can ask, but there is no obligation for you to do so.

It's public property covered by preemption unless you are a student. No different than wearing you firearm in a city
park.

ISRAEL

Ok this is to the people close to BSU. It has been said and proven in the Idaho House debate about HB0222 that open carry is legal on campus. The campus policy does not allow firearms. So...... why don't the open carry crowed do a protest on campus? they are not students so can't be expelled, only asked to leave.

The only reason i bring this up is i remember the Boise Zoo story. Why not get more press on this?
Can somebody tell me what happened at Boise Zoo.? I heard about it but I do not know the wholw story.

rcrosby

I mentioned this very thing on the sticky thread regarding HB0222.

I would be up for getting together for a open carry day at BSU. I was walking on the bike trail along campus yesterday on the way to the basketball game and thinking about it. I was thinking if we can get this bill passed we should defintely have a great tailgate party next fall!

We need to be proactive on this including combatting some of the blatant lies and misleading info coming out of the Idaho Statesman and the message boards.

I have sent emails/letters to my state senator and Butch Otter.

Last edited:

idahoguy84

State preemption doesn't apply to BSU or any other public college in Idaho.

I.C. 18-3302J(5): "This section shall not be construed to affect:...
(c) The authority of the board of regents of the university of Idaho, the boards of trustees of the state colleges and universities, the board of professional-technical education and the boards of trustees of each of the community colleges established under chapter 21, title 33, Idaho Code, to regulate in matters relating to firearms."

Of course, the alleged "authority" of public colleges to ban the possession of firearms on campus is non-existent - Article I Section 11 of the Idaho Constitution doesn't make an exception for public colleges when it states that the rights of Idahoans to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged.

If you're trespassed from BSU for exercising your rights, that would seem to provide standing for a lawsuit asking for a declaratory judgment against BSU's no-firearms policy. (You can be trespassed from the BSU campus, and from city parks. Just try having a kegger in a city park or hanging out there after hours when it's closed.)

I'd say we should start by having an open-carry rally with signs saying "Support H.B. 222" while standing on the sidewalks adjacent to University Ave. The sidewalks are city-owned property, not university-owned, so BSU can't trespass you off like it can if you're on the quad. We should do this before the Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on the bill this week.

Zhukov

Regardless of what the statute says, the state constitution only allows for them to focus on concealed carry.

Court precedent also says so.

And the parks can't trespass you solely for open carrying.

idahoguy84

Open carry protest on sidewalk in front of SUB at BSU?

So... BSU sent their minions out in force to defeat HB 222 in the State Senate Affairs Committee today, and essentially argued that citizens are so inept that they should never be allowed to carry firearms at all. The BSU administration doesn't seem to realize that open carry is legal in this great State, and so I think we need to spread awareness of that fact.

Attached is a map from the Ada County Assessor's Office (available online at http://66.192.184.147/imf/imf.jsp?site=adapar) showing the boundary lines of the parcels of land owned by BSU near the SUB. You'll notice BSU does not own the sidewalks along University Drive - those are city-owned - which means that we can legally open carry there and cannot be trespassed by BSU.

Carrying in that location will undoubtedly garner a response from the university - so be prepared to explain yourself to campus security, BPD, and likely the media. Also, hand-carried signs explaining the purpose of the protest would add to the educational value of the event. If we could get a group together to do this it would be ideal.

What do you guys say?

Attachments

• BSU_SUB_boundary_map.pdf
    261.9 KB · Views: 140

clarkebar

I'm in, when are we planning to do this? Spring break is all next week so that won't help us attract attention. I say we wait till the following week in April on Wednesday or Thursday.

cdub

Nic

i thnk we should go state wide with this event all on the same day we have ISU, NIC, UofI, and CSI if we all went out to the difernt universitys and OC at th same time flooded all the local news that would be ideal

here is a pic of NIC sub don't have as much room but still have sidewalk space

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-27 at 11.33.17 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-03-27 at 11.33.17 PM.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited: