• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Kicked Out? (or asked to leave)

SIGKzoo

How often are you asked to leave or disarm somewhere you are open carrying, by a manager, owner, or someone of actual authority for the given property you are patronizing?
:shocker:

I don't mean the wal-mart mwag bs, but actually going to a restaurant, a roller rink, a mall, a local shop, a gas station, etc. Any small to medium sized businesses, whatever else you can think of, or whoever else's private property you end up on throughout your day(s).
:banana:

Business owners and managers in charge of businesses on private property are fully within their rights to ask you to leave or to disarm, I respect those rights. Because of this I tend to lean more toward concealing (yes, I have my CPL) my weapon. I am hoping for some positive yet honest responses to educate me and hopefully persuade me to feel more comfortable about not getting asked to leave while openly carrying in these types of places. :cool:

SIGKzoo

Yeah, I saw. Thank you! I suppose it's probably the same people on both forums' OC topic but figured was worth it if I get more positive responses like yours.

stainless1911

Banned
Occasionally. Can't remember all of them, but once at the mall, but the security wouldnt tell me which store not to go into anymore. :rolleyes: Oh, and then there was my own home. And you still cant carry at Waterford schools.

Michigander

It's only happened to me a handful of times. If you OC enough it will happen, and it will happen again, at least in the more urban, leftist voting areas. But as DanM said, it's rare. Consider it a pleasant surprise marking an important milestone when it finally happens to you.

lil_freak_66

It happened once in the 9 months I have OC'd -- Lansing Mall/Security Guard.

forgetting when we went to taco bell too.

HOWEVER,after a talk with taco bell corporate,it was discovered that taco bell follows state law,and that the employee whom asked us to leave was in the wrong,and we've been back there at least a dozen times since with no issue.

and i think thats what a majority of the "getting asked to leave" instances involving a resturaunt are,an employee going against corporate policy,either by accident(since they cant carry,assuming that patrons cant either) or on purpose.

DanM

stainless1911 said:
The park manager says Im not allowed to OC in tha park, on my rented lot, or inside my own home.

What does your rental agreement say? If there's nothing anti-gun, then no worries.

If there's something anti-gun in the agreement, it might or might not be enforceable per state landlord-tenant law. I'm not familiar with the law in that regard. It could also run afoul of the findings of the Heller and McDonald decisions.

stainless1911

Banned
Only that you agree (under duress) that the rules can change without your consent.

I believe that cant deny you your first amendment rights, even if they can deny you your second. OC is more first than second.

Dean told me that as long as I'm following the law, that I had the right to "peaceable enjoyment" if I got that straight. IMO, if they kicked me out, then I should be able to sue for millions, but I couldn't afford the suit, so they'll probably get away with it.

TheQ

IMO, if they kicked me out, then I should be able to sue for millions, but I couldn't afford the suit, so they'll probably get away with it.

don't know about millions...civil suits usually revolve around some sort of "real" damage. They may have to pay the expenses you incurred by moving, accept you back, pay legal fees -- but millions -- I think that may be a stretch. If you want millions, you should've spilled coffee on your lap ;)