Thread: New York Times - Nine of a Kind: Purse Pistols

Super Moderator

New York Times - Nine of a Kind: Purse Pistols

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...e-pistols.html

SNIP

Nine of a Kind
    Purse Pistols
    By CHEE PEARLMAN
    As more states allow citizens to carry concealed weapons, manufacturers and customizers are making guns that are flashier, more feminine and easier to pop into a handbag . . .

1. Was there an article to go with that? All I got from that link was a picture of some handguns.

2. Do to the complaining that I hear about how heavy my wifes purse is, when I think of a "purse gun" I don't think of a Sig P226 (featured twice) or a 6" heavy barreled Ruger Mark 2...also I don't think of tiny mini revolvers (also featured twice) do to all the other small things floating around in my wife's purse.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    The sad thing about this article is that it implies that it is safe and effective to just "pop your gun into a handbag."

Nothing could be further from the truth...

Can you say "negligent discharge" boys and girls?

Not to mention all the scratches, dings, and lint and other contaminants that a handgun would be exposed to inside the average purse.

They make purses SPECIFICALLY for carrying concealed. These purses have specially-designed pockets for carrying a gun. Because you DON'T want your gun (especially if its one of these $2000+ custom jobs) rattling around in there with your keys, change, makeup, and who knows what else.

Cool guns though. The engraving on the Walther, Smith, and Casull is especially nice...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 03-24-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

They are called "purse snatchers" for a reason.

Consider the source. I'm wouldn't at all be surprised if the failure to point out the flaws of this are intentional. They usually scream like a banshee about anything gun related.

The shoe fits.
    Last edited by ixtow; 03-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

The Forest is dead because the Trees are Dead.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

It's not that cops are crap, it's that crap is hand-picked for the job by much larger turds. I'd like to meet an exception.

gunthreadadapters.com

No, the derringers are definitely NOT good for purse carry. We had someone here in New Orleans recently have one go off in Galatoire's Restaurant when she dropped her purse containing a derringer. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ongs_to_l.html

A competition Ruger .22 is another useless gun for purse carry - unless you've got one of those shopping bag sized purses.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    Quote Originally Posted by XD-GEM View Post
    A competition Ruger .22 is another useless gun for purse carry - unless you've got one of those shopping bag sized purses.

You obviously don't know much about NYC fashion, and what is acceptable (and even desirable) in a woman's handbag...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

It's NYT and NYC.

Why are we even talking about this?

I think it's pretty clear that the article was published with the intent of suggesting to NYC Women that carrying a gun in your purse is legal there.

The more who get arrested, the more 'gun crime' they can claim to be preventing...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

The Forest is dead because the Trees are Dead.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

It's not that cops are crap, it's that crap is hand-picked for the job by much larger turds. I'd like to meet an exception.

gunthreadadapters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    You obviously don't know much about NYC fashion, and what is acceptable (and even desirable) in a woman's handbag...
    Either way, it's NYC- highly unlikely anyone there will ever be able to carry any of these anyway.

i like the hello kitty one
    3. Move thumb safety down taking gun off safety. Caution: The gun is now ready to fire. Be prepared for noise and recoil when pistol fires.

Consider the source and demogrqphic culture. Airhead information for mouthbreathers. '..pop your gun into a handbag...' says it all right there.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by XD-GEM View Post
    No, the derringers are definitely NOT good for purse carry. We had someone here in New Orleans recently have one go off in Galatoire's Restaurant when she dropped her purse containing a derringer. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ongs_to_l.html

no trigger guard
    JP

Set up for Open Carry mode using the holster's clip and a heavy Velcro strap:

Note Laptop Bag strap used cross chest. Snatch my bag and you are taking ME along with it!
    Speedy: LOCAL League VP, Pres, NWLOCAL Chapter
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

One for the Ladies

Concealed carry purse.
    Note the lock on the zipper (for if you're at a friend's house etc.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06898.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	7063

Holster inside zipper pocket on the back side of the purse.

Name:	DSC06899.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	7064

A smaller gun works best. Pictured: Sig Sauer P 238 Equinox .380

Name:	DSC06901.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	7065

Guys, don't feel left out!!!

Just for kicks:

Concealed Carry Purse For Men

Name:	DSC06906.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	7068

Quote Originally Posted by DigsSigs View Post
    Just for kicks:

Concealed Carry Purse For Men

Name:	DSC06906.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	7068
    Oh, relax, will 'ya? I've got a murse that doesn't look like a murse.

(chuckle)
    Haven't been a member of the NRA since 1991. Get a clue.

"One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."

DigsSigs -

Welcome to OCDO.

Please Google the phrase "necroposting".

Otherwise, hope you enjoy your time here.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Please Google the phrase "necroposting".
    Skids, if others show a serious interest in the topic over last six months, it's not necro. Just because you might not want to see the topic again doesn't mean others don't.

Give it a rest.
    Haven't been a member of the NRA since 1991. Get a clue.

"One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."