• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New York Times - Nine of a Kind: Purse Pistols

Barnett3006

1. Was there an article to go with that? All I got from that link was a picture of some handguns.

2. Do to the complaining that I hear about how heavy my wifes purse is, when I think of a "purse gun" I don't think of a Sig P226 (featured twice) or a 6" heavy barreled Ruger Mark 2...also I don't think of tiny mini revolvers (also featured twice) do to all the other small things floating around in my wife's purse.

Dreamer

The sad thing about this article is that it implies that it is safe and effective to just "pop your gun into a handbag."

Nothing could be further from the truth...

Can you say "negligent discharge" boys and girls?

Not to mention all the scratches, dings, and lint and other contaminants that a handgun would be exposed to inside the average purse.

They make purses SPECIFICALLY for carrying concealed. These purses have specially-designed pockets for carrying a gun. Because you DON'T want your gun (especially if its one of these $2000+ custom jobs) rattling around in there with your keys, change, makeup, and who knows what else.

Cool guns though. The engraving on the Walther, Smith, and Casull is especially nice...

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
They are called "purse snatchers" for a reason.

Consider the source. I'm wouldn't at all be surprised if the failure to point out the flaws of this are intentional. They usually scream like a banshee about anything gun related.

The shoe fits.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
No, the derringers are definitely NOT good for purse carry. We had someone here in New Orleans recently have one go off in Galatoire's Restaurant when she dropped her purse containing a derringer. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/09/gun_at_galatoires_belongs_to_l.html

A competition Ruger .22 is another useless gun for purse carry - unless you've got one of those shopping bag sized purses.

Dreamer

A competition Ruger .22 is another useless gun for purse carry - unless you've got one of those shopping bag sized purses.

You obviously don't know much about NYC fashion, and what is acceptable (and even desirable) in a woman's handbag... ;)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It's NYT and NYC.

Why are we even talking about this?

I think it's pretty clear that the article was published with the intent of suggesting to NYC Women that carrying a gun in your purse is legal there.

The more who get arrested, the more 'gun crime' they can claim to be preventing...

j4l

You obviously don't know much about NYC fashion, and what is acceptable (and even desirable) in a woman's handbag... ;)

Either way, it's NYC- highly unlikely anyone there will ever be able to carry any of these anyway.

Sonora Rebel

Consider the source and demogrqphic culture. Airhead information for mouthbreathers. '..pop your gun into a handbag...' says it all right there.

jpjpjp

HeroHog

carry05.jpg

carry04.jpg

Set up for Open Carry mode using the holster's clip and a heavy Velcro strap:
EDC-OC00.jpg

Note Laptop Bag strap used cross chest. Snatch my bag and you are taking ME along with it!
speedy-wc.jpg

DigsSigs

One for the Ladies

Concealed carry purse.
Note the lock on the zipper (for if you're at a friend's house etc.)
DSC06898.jpg

Holster inside zipper pocket on the back side of the purse.
DSC06899.jpg

A smaller gun works best. Pictured: Sig Sauer P 238 Equinox .380
DSC06901.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
DigsSigs -

Welcome to OCDO.

Please Google the phrase "necroposting".

Otherwise, hope you enjoy your time here.

stay safe.