• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Statement on WI Legislation

paul@paul-fisher.com

Am I reading stuff into this or are they mad it is taking so long?

Get Involved and Stand up for Your Right-to-Carry in Wisconsin Today!

There is a great deal of misinformation, rumor and speculation associated with the ongoing effort to finally secure the same essential right for Wisconsinites exercised by the citizens of forty other states – the Right-to-Carry. In light of the fact that we have been so close so many times in the past, this anxiety and impatience is understandable. However, it is time to set the record straight and provide you with the latest information.

Your NRA has been working diligently with legislative leaders in an effort to set the stage for what has been a victory too long denied. This includes the drafting of complex legislation in order to ensure that it is perfected for introduction into the legislative process. At the same time, bill sponsors and lead advocates are being recruited. It is not possible to understate the importance of this work and it necessarily takes time.

As you all know, the events in Madison over the last many weeks have evolved into a story that has dominated news cycles nationwide. The result of the culminating vote has been an effort to recall a number of legislators who have been longtime supporters of your Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Many of you have heard rumors that the battle for your right to be able to defend yourselves and your families from violence will be delayed until the dust settles. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The new majority leaders in the Wisconsin Senate and Assembly are battle-tested veterans who have voted in support of our firearms freedoms time and time again. They understand that unnecessary delay in securing your rights is simply unacceptable. They know that thousands of good citizens have been violently victimized, unable to defend themselves, since anti-freedom legislators first used partisan ploys to block attempts to enact Right-to-Carry. Further delay means only more defenseless victims to add to the toll. They are committed to ending this injustice and will not falter.

Let there be no question. Time for talking is nearing its end. Action is imminent and each of you will be instrumental in the ultimate success. NRA members played a key role in the election of pro-freedom majorities in both houses of the state legislature last November. Now, the same energy that led to those successful elections must be channeled into legislative activism.

Be sure to talk to your family, friends and co-workers about the importance of Right-to-Carry. Educate them and have them commit to the cause. Call NRA Grassroots at 1-800-392-8683 and sign-up as a volunteer who will help motivate others to contact legislators and attend hearings once legislation is introduced.

BECOME INVOLVED TODAY! YOUR RIGHTS DEPEND ON IT!

phred

I don't know if they are mad, but the message certainly is "firm". Since some of the legislators are NRA members, now they also know that other NRA members know what the expectations are.

I wish though, the message had used the words "Constitutional Carry" not only "Right to Carry".
We already have the Right to Carry. Their announcement sounds old, or at least as if somebody has not updated them with Constitutional Carry idea.

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I agree with Phred, the fact is we need to push both the NRA as well as our legislature for a specific type of carry. That should only be Constitutional Carry, and if we have to deal with a permit the only effect that a permit should have is for reciprocity. And we want CC first!

phred

According to the NRA, we don't, since average citizens can't carry concealed.
They don't care about open carry.

I knew that. I was just trying to make the point.

For a while there, a couple of months ago, I thought the NRA was backing Constitutional Carry and was on board with it. WI-Force was also supportive, at least from their state meeting in February 2011 that's what I saw. Has this support changed? ????

paul@paul-fisher.com

For a while there, a couple of months ago, I thought the NRA was backing Constitutional Carry and was on board with it. WI-Force was also supportive, at least from their state meeting in February 2011 that's what I saw. Has this support changed? ????

As far as I can tell, officially no, however, they are indicating in public that they will compromise. So.... when you go into a car dealer and say I want to pay $10K but would pay up to $12K, it's amazing how often the $12K gets pulled out of your wallet.

I normally don't change my offer until I am presented a counter-offer.

civilwarguy

As far as I can tell, officially no, however, they are indicating in public that they will compromise. So.... when you go into a car dealer and say I want to pay $10K but would pay up to $12K, it's amazing how often the $12K gets pulled out of your wallet.

I normally don't change my offer until I am presented a counter-offer.

my only compromise either we get constitutional carry or i will save up and move to a state that does and they can lose any tax dollars they get from my income or my spending.

On a side note i have found it effective to call your reps office every day if thye dont respond to emails or snail mail it takes a while but eventually the staff gets tired of you calling and makes it a point to get that rep to call you so they no longer have to hear from you every day:)

johnny amish

my only compromise either we get constitutional carry or i will save up and move to a state that does and they can lose any tax dollars they get from my income or my spending.

On a side note i have found it effective to call your reps office every day if thye dont respond to emails or snail mail it takes a while but eventually the staff gets tired of you calling and makes it a point to get that rep to call you so they no longer have to hear from you every day:)

Now that's the way to get things done. Very nice. I have been doing much the same, Dan Kapanke and Lee Nerison know exactally what my opinion is concerning constitutional carry. We need to be a pain in the ars if we want our voices heard. Don't let up, we elected them to represent us, we should not feel bad if we expect then to do that.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I no longer have the issue of the NRA mag that gave their ratings for the Wisconsin state legislative races. Does anyone have in a format that can be posted here?

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
According to the NRA, we don't, since average citizens can't carry concealed.
They don't care about open carry.

Except most people who carry in other states prefer concealed over open. That's just the bottom line. To many people that i know who carry for their personal protection, it is concealed that is the right, not open, despite judicial apprehension at CC.

The "Right to Carry" movement was inspired by a grandmother in Florida who could open carry on her belt, but felt it more prudent to carry concealed in her purse due to her own perceived safety and social acceptability factors.

Captain Nemo

Florida statute

And this is the result of Florida's right to conceal carry.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.--

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.

(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:

(a) A self-defense chemical spray.

(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

It can happen here if we don't insist on the constitutional right to choice of carry.