• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

God Help Us...

MKEgal

Wow.
Just, wow.

I'd heard gripes from a cop friend here in Milwaukee about their hiring standards being dumbed down, but I didn't know it was anything like this!

I don't care what a cop looks like*, I expect her (him) to be able to control or diffuse dangerous situations, write reports, testify (honestly!) in court... I think the passing grade should be 75%, w/ hiring preference to those w/ the highest scores, no matter what they look like.

The video said Dayton revamped their test, including consulting with current officers, to make it very job-related & unbiased. If I were on that force, I wouldn't want to work with a new minority officer because I couldn't trust that s/he was able to do the job adequately.

I also disagree with lower physical standards for jobs like firefighting, where there's a lot of very physical work & someone's life can depend on the person being able to lift the hose or drag the body out of the building.
OTOH, accomplishing the same thing in a different way is OK with me.
If a woman (or smaller man) can drag a test dummy out of a burning building in something close to the same time a larger, stronger man can throw it over his shoulder & walk out, that's OK with me. Either way, I'm not going to burn to death. (& being dragged, I'm down in the coolest air. I'm OK with a few scrapes & bruised heels as long as I'm not dead.)

* (though I really like looking at the cute guys, and think the ones whose necks spill out over their shirt collars & bellies spill over their belts are gross... lose weight &/or get clothes that fit)

Last edited:

usamarshal

Well, its not going to end there...theres still the background investigations, polygraph, physical, drug test, and pysch(o) evaluations...hopefully the interview goes well too...haha

The standard for testing when I went into the law enforcement field was an 80% was passing. Shoot, for the OPOTA exam I believe you had to score at least around an 80% as well.

I could see an open carry situation going badly if one of these officers is hired...:eek:

VW_Factor

I read about something like that last year sometime. Don't exactly remember when..

It is kinda like..

Umm... Soooo... Yeah.

Do you feel comfortable with failing grade public servants "enforcing law" around you? Literally failing grade "I make horrible awful choices" people. Enforcing the law for you.

usamarshal

haha...very true...its about par for the course here in Ohio though...if it don't work don't fix it I guess...whats the definition of insanity again?

sudden valley gunner

When I heard this story last weak my first thought was maybe smart 'minorities' just don't want to be cops. :rolleyes:

And how pissed I'd be that they feel folks with my ethnic background are not "smart" enough to take the "white" guy test? What ever that would mean.

Last edited:

MKEgal

sudden valley gunner said:
And how pissed I'd be that they feel folks with my ethnic background are not "smart" enough to take the "white" guy test?
If you watched the video, they interviewed the Dayton NAACP guy, who said pretty much the same thing - don't dumb it down, that's insulting. Then the national NAACP came out with the opposite position, & the local guy seems to have been told to shut up. :(

Between saying their members are too stupid to pass a civil service exam and too irresponsible to carry firearms to protect themselves against their less law-abiding neighbors, I don't see why anyone would want to join the NAACP!
It's a racist organization which keeps perpetuating those negative stereotypes about the people it's supposed to be helping. Why be a part of a group that thinks you're stupid & irresponsible?

Aknazer

This reminds me of the Carlos Mencia "lower the standards" skit and the "dee dee dee" song that he does. Anyone curious as to those skits just know that as a comedian he does cuss...a lot.

usamarshal

Guess I never looked at it that way...I wonder what would happen if the NRA did that...haha

If you watched the video, they interviewed the Dayton NAACP guy, who said pretty much the same thing - don't dumb it down, that's insulting. Then the national NAACP came out with the opposite position, & the local guy seems to have been told to shut up. :(

Between saying their members are too stupid to pass a civil service exam and too irresponsible to carry firearms to protect themselves against their less law-abiding neighbors, I don't see why anyone would want to join the NAACP!
It's a racist organization which keeps perpetuating those negative stereotypes about the people it's supposed to be helping. Why be a part of a group that thinks you're stupid & irresponsible?

jbone

Never surprised at what this Administration will do for the minority vote.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Passing Muster

"An F is now passing?" No wonder people call him Obooba. Hey, let's allow airline pilots to score Fs and fly you around. Perhaps this dumbing down of America is why we have an economically-challenged President in the White House.

Pretty much every test we ever had in the military had a mimimum passing grade of 80%. Some were easy. Some were hard. I tell you the truth, though, scoring less than 95% meant an early end to one's career! For many of them, 100% was the expected grade. If you didn't pass muster, you'd hear about it.

Not much room for error in aviation, nor should there be much room for error in law enforcement. Yes, it is a public safety issue. If I mistype a word on an online message forum, no big deal. If an LEO accidentally discharges his weapon while drawing on a suspect, very big deal.

58% is a passing grade in Ohio? :banghead:

I'm glad I don't live in Ohio!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Like the dumbing down of America in our Education system I think the reasons behind this is just an excuse to get more people in as LEO's who simply won't think for themselves are aggressive and will just "follow orders".

jbone

Like the dumbing down of America in our Education system I think the reasons behind this is just an excuse to get more people in as LEO's who simply won't think for themselves are aggressive and will just "follow orders".

Without a doubt! A country controlled by a few who control a mass of idiots who control the few remaining idiots.

M

McX

lower standards equate to lower expectations, actions, reliability, integrity...........and the list goes on.