• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Capacity Magazines and Their Critical Role in Lawful Self Defense

DevinWKuska

Although I like the article I wish it was written by someone who isnt attached to some form of pro-2A group. I think to the general populace would value the article more if it wasnt written by someone they could say was a "fellow gun-nut."

since9

Campaign Veteran
Although I like the article I wish it was written by someone who isnt attached to some form of pro-2A group. I think to the general populace would value the article more if it wasnt written by someone they could say was a "fellow gun-nut."

If not one of us, then who? An anti-gun nut like those in the Brady Bunch? Yih-Chau mentioned that a recent Washington Post article came to the same conclusions, particularly in the case of home invasions involving multiple suspects. I carry 65 rounds in four 16-round magazines BECAUSE I live alone. It's also the reason I've installed additional devices on all doors and windows to help prevent unauthorized intrusion.

Yih-Chau, I thought your article was very good. I took some time reading through your other articles, as well, and was similarly impressed!

Last edited:

Black Dragon

Thank you, Since9. I really appreciate your support. If you like my articles, please feel free to subscribe to them by clicking on the "Subscribe" button next to my photo on the articles. If you know of others who might enjoy them as well, please share my articles with them and ask them to subscribe as well. We need to get the truth out about common, law-abiding gun owners and demonstrate (with facts and evidence) why the gun control lobby's lies and propaganda will simply not be allowed to stand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you, Since9. I really appreciate your support. If you like my articles, please feel free to subscribe to them by clicking on the "Subscribe" button next to my photo on the articles. If you know of others who might enjoy them as well, please share my articles with them and ask them to subscribe as well. We need to get the truth out about common, law-abiding gun owners and demonstrate (with facts and evidence) why the gun control lobby's lies and propaganda will simply not be allowed to stand.

All excellent articles - I subscribed from the first one I read.

Dreamer

Firearms like the Glock 17 (with it's capacity of 17+1 rounds) or the Para Ordnance P14 (with a capacity of 13+1 rounds) DO NOT have "high capacity" magazines. They have "standard capacity" magazines, because they are DESIGNED to have that many rounds...

The 10-round mags forced on these manufacturers by certain states are, in fact, "LOW-capacity" or "reduced-capacity" magazines, because they hold fewer rounds than the manufacturer designed the gun to carry.

We need to stop using the term "high capacity" for these types of firearms. We don't call school buses "high-capacity cars". We don't call XXXL clothing "high-capacity". Why should we call a gun (or magazine) "high-capacity" when it is DESIGNED that way?

The writer of this "Examiner" article "gets it". But many firearms owners don't and they need to get on board...

Words have meaning. And we, as 2A advocates, need to start USING words like the powerful tools they are. The "anti's" learned this a LONG time ago and have been using charged, loaded words for decades to manipulate public opinion. We need to step up to the plate, and use the power of words to our advantage--to shape public opinion in our favor, and to expose the lies and propaganda of the "anti's", by illustrating just how nonsensical and manipulative their language is...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
We need to stop using the term "high capacity" for these types of firearms. We don't call school busses "high-capacity cars". We don't call XXXL clothing "high-capacity". Why should we call a gun (or magazine) "high-capacity" when it is DESIGNED that way?

Well worth repeating. My 16+1 isn't high-capacity at all. It's normal capacity. It is, after all, the way it was designed.

hogeaterf6

Firearms like the Glock 17 (with it's capacity of 17+1 rounds) or the Para Ordnance P14 (with a capacity of 13+1 rounds) DO NOT have "high capacity" magazines. They have "standard capacity" magazines, because they are DESIGNED to have that many rounds...

The 10-round mags forced on these manufacturers by certain states are, in fact, "LOW-capacity" or "reduced-capacity" magazines, because they hold fewer agazines than the manufacturer designed the gun to carry.

We need to stop using the term "high capacity" for these types of firearms. We don't call school busses "high-capacity cars". We don't call XXXL clothing "high-capacity". Why should we call a gun (or magazine) "high-capacity" when it is DESIGNED that way?

The writer of this "Examiner" article "gets it". But many firearms owners don't and they need to get on board...

Words have meaning. And we, as 2A advocates, need to start USING words like the powerful tools they are. The "anti's" learned this a LONG time ago and have been using charged, loaded words for decades to manipulate public opinion. We need to step up to the plate, and use the power of words to our advantage--to shape public opinion in our favor, and to expose the lies and propaganda of the "anti's", by illustrating just how nonsensical and manipulative their language is...

"I DO NOT have "high capacity" magazines. I have "standard capacity" magazines, because they are DESIGNED to have that many rounds..."

I want that on a tee shirt!

DevinWKuska

The 10-round mags forced on these manufacturers by certain states are, in fact, "LOW-capacity" or "reduced-capacity" magazines, because they hold fewer agazines than the manufacturer designed the gun to carry.

+1

I have a glock 17 and in fact its has proven very difficult for me to find 10rnd magazines for it(I travel to California). Although what does one consider hi-cap for say an ar-15 pistol or ak pistol? Would we consider 30rd mags normal? I am not sure since those are handguns that dont really have a set limit

Hmm scratch that last thought. The ar/ak pistols come with 30rd mags so i guess thats what they were intended for

silver

If i hadn't lost it in a tragic boating accident id have an XDM (9) with 19 in the mag one in the tube and 38 more on my left hip. too bad my boat capsized:eek:

DevinWKuska perhaps you should consider using a 19 rather than a 17. 10 round mags are easy to find for those. plus it shoots exactly like your 17.

"I DO NOT have "high capacity" magazines. I have "standard capacity" magazines, because they are DESIGNED to have that many rounds..."

I want that on a tee shirt!

id buy it

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

+1

I have a glock 17 and in fact its has proven very difficult for me to find 10rnd magazines for it(I travel to California). Although what does one consider hi-cap for say an ar-15 pistol or ak pistol? Would we consider 30rd mags normal? I am not sure since those are handguns that dont really have a set limit

Hmm scratch that last thought. The ar/ak pistols come with 30rd mags so i guess thats what they were intended for

I presume you don't carry in CA, since they do not recognize any other state's chl's.
:cool:

Aknazer

I presume you don't carry in CA, since they do not recognize any other state's chl's.
:cool:

You can OC in CA, unlike here in OK. I've thought about it for next time I go to visit my dad in CA, but they live so close to a school (on the edge of the 1000' but I'm not sure if they are just inside or just outside of it) and taking my younger brothers to various sports practices/games (that are within 1000' of schools) that I couldn't effectively carry while I was out there even if I did try to OC.

JohnH

The 10-round mags forced on these manufacturers by certain states are, in fact, "LOW-capacity" or "reduced-capacity" magazines, because they hold fewer rounds than the manufacturer designed the gun to carry.

We need to stop using the term "high capacity" for these types of firearms. We don't call school buses "high-capacity cars". We don't call XXXL clothing "high-capacity". Why should we call a gun (or magazine) "high-capacity" when it is DESIGNED that way?

Eloquent, I like it and it is true. What is ironic is that after the '94 AWB manufactuers began designing handguns around the 10 round mag. This was one of the reasons that the .40 SW became so popular, one could stuff 10 rounds in a mag and still be within normal full size pistol dimensions. With the 40 one got 45 like performace in a a 9mm size package. It is also a likely influence on the many compacts available today

The only good thing that came out of that ban other than the sunset.

Just don't forget that once we begin to address semantics like this the next move on the part of the anti's will be attempts to force manufactuers into those semantics. i.e.,the manufactuerer's should only make arms designed for 10 rounds.

Language is powerful. It irks me to no end to hear folk at the range whine about how the politicians what to ban their assault rifle, as they sit there banging away with an AR. I've met a few of these who didn't even know that the AR stands for Armalite Rifle. No joke.

This language thing is incidious. it is in many parts of firearms slang. How many times have we heard semi-automatic shotguns called "automatic shotgun". I much prefer the term "self loading" but always make a point of using semiautomatic when describing such an arm, pistol, rifle or shotgun.

"Packin'"... as in What are you packin' there, like I'm a gangsta or some such. I don't pack anything other than luggage, the trunk of my car or boxes when I move. I do carry a pistol. And how many rounds it has is none of my governments business.

Last edited: