Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC unfriendly restaurants - out of business

OC unfriendly restaurants - out of business

Do we have a list of other restaurants or locations-of-restaurants that went out of business after being/becoming anti? I like the post cards that are sent (by ED?) to anti businesses. Would it be considered bad form to rub it in to corporate that they went out of business? ;-)

I was passing by our local Fuddruckers in Yorktown and noticed no cars in the parking lot and no lights on. At first I thought that maybe they were closed on Sundays but drove over and saw signs taken down. This is the Fuddruckers we held a OC dinner at a while back but then stopped supporting because their corporate enforced anti-OC policies.

I did a search and the closest Fuddruckers is now 25 miles away from me.

Richbrau Brewing Company in Richmond was anti,

The Fuddrucker's here closed too. I forgot the timeline of events but they were friendly and several dinners/VCDL meetings were held there, a sign was put up after a robbery (?), people spoke with the manager, and open carrying law-abiding citizens were welcomed back by the general manager.

I forgot what happened after that, my search-fu is lacking now, and I can't remember if at the time of closing they were back on anti policies because of corporate or what. I think they were. I think the manager may have quit before they closed as well. Not sure if it was related, but I seem to recall him being very interested in VCDL/2A.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

The Fuddrucker's here closed too. I forgot the timeline of events but they were friendly and several dinners/VCDL meetings were held there, a sign was put up after a robbery (?), people spoke with the manager, and open carrying law-abiding citizens were welcomed back by the general manager.

I forgot what happened after that, my search-fu is lacking now, and I can't remember if at the time of closing they were back on anti policies because of corporate or what. I think they were. I think the manager may have quit before they closed as well. Not sure if it was related, but I seem to recall him being very interested in VCDL/2A.
    Fuddruckers Herndon closed and Friday's Sterling
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

The population demographics passed by the Richmond Fuddruckers - they lost their market audience. The manager was Navy Reservist (pilot) and went active just about a year ago.

The Fuddruckers went into Chapter 11 and was sold to Luby's.
    http://www.kens5.com/news/Going-once...-96672714.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Anybody know Luby's policy on 2A?

Fuddruckers

Jim, I drove past that Fudds a few days ago and noticed the same thing. I remember sending our FUDD receipts and a letter to RED ROBIN because they had turned away an OCer. That was our first time breaking bread with our Sheriff and his lovely bride, too. We were never turned away from our local FUDDS for OCing. Did anyone on OCDO or VCDL ever have a problem with that one? How about the remaining one in Va Beach? I drove past the Va Beach one shortly after sunrise last weekend and it appeared to still be in business, even though it wasn't open at the time. ;-)

Has anyone tried OCing at the VB Fudds?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Anybody know Luby's policy on 2A?
    I'm curious as well.

They have some sort of notoriety as being a point in Texas' gun rights progression. The reason that Suzanna Gratia Hupp was unarmed inside was because of Texas law, I believe, and not because of a policy set by Luby's.

I haven't read up on it much but I think the sensible position for them to take would be to understand that a carrying law-abiding citizen could have stopped the massacre prematurely. But if they are anti-gun they aren't too terribly sensible in the first place. They certainly, tragically, and unfortunately saw what harm being a gun free zone did for them, y'know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0B...eature=related
    Last edited by Curtis; 03-20-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Jim, I drove past that Fudds a few days ago and noticed the same thing. I remember sending our FUDD receipts and a letter to RED ROBIN because they had turned away an OCer. That was our first time breaking bread with our Sheriff and his lovely bride, too. We were never turned away from our local FUDDS for OCing. Did anyone on OCDO or VCDL ever have a problem with that one? How about the remaining one in Va Beach? I drove past the Va Beach one shortly after sunrise last weekend and it appeared to still be in business, even though it wasn't open at the time. ;-)

Has anyone tried OCing at the VB Fudds?
    Oh great red robin is anti? where was this? A family member is having a lunch at red robin in a week, I wonder how it will go.....
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I'm curious as well.

They have some sort of notoriety as being a point in Texas' gun rights progression. The reason that Suzanna Gratia Hupp was unarmed inside was because of Texas law, I believe, and not because of a policy set by Luby's.

I haven't read up on it much but I think the sensible position for them to take would be to understand that a carrying law-abiding citizen could have stopped the massacre prematurely. But if they are anti-gun they aren't too terribly sensible in the first place. They certainly, tragically, and unfortunately saw what harm being a gun free zone did for them, y'know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0B...eature=related
    On April 22, 2010, Austin-based Magic Brands LLC announced plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and sell most of its assets, including Fuddruckers and Koo Koo Roo brand eateries, to the Tavistock Group. On the same day, the closing of 24 Fuddruckers locations was announced. On June 18, 2010, Luby's Cafeterias announced it was buying Fuddruckers for $61 million.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuddruckers

New policy pro gun?
    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...no-guns-policy
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Oh great red robin is anti? where was this? A family member is having a lunch at red robin in a week, I wonder how it will go.....
    Try our Search Function. I don't much like typing in some illegible code word to get permission to find something, but I wanted to save you the trouble when you go to lunch...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ighlight=Robin
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Try our Search Function. I don't much like typing in some illegible code word to get permission to find something, but I wanted to save you the trouble when you go to lunch...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ighlight=Robin
    Apparently some are and some aren't.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...0pm.-Layton-UT

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    On April 22, 2010, Austin-based Magic Brands LLC announced plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and sell most of its assets, including Fuddruckers and Koo Koo Roo brand eateries, to the Tavistock Group. On the same day, the closing of 24 Fuddruckers locations was announced. On June 18, 2010, Luby's Cafeterias announced it was buying Fuddruckers for $61 million.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuddruckers

New policy pro gun?
    So as of the writing Luby's had not replyed other than - We will take it under advisement.

Cool

I should hope that honour and decorum would prevent the majority of us from resorting to any "nanny-nanny boo-boo" sorts of response.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

So as of the writing Luby's had not replyed other than - We will take it under advisement.
    That was my conclusion too. Did not find anything more definitive past the date of July 10, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I should hope that honour and decorum would prevent the majority of us from resorting to any "nanny-nanny boo-boo" sorts of response.
    Indeed, Sir.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Red Robin:

Your search should find that I and the family have gone several times to the one by Chesapeake Square while the adults OCed and never had a problem. The servers and hostesses definitely knew we were OCing, as well as several fellow patrons.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Red Robin:

Your search should find that I and the family have gone several times to the one by Chesapeake Square while the adults OCed and never had a problem. The servers and hostesses definitely knew we were OCing, as well as several fellow patrons.

Thats the one I am going to.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    The Fuddruckers in Fairfax and in Annandale are still open. These two locations welcomed OCers but thanks to corporate, haven't seen us for a while now.
    If I am not mistaken, both of those are franchise locations and operated according to the rules of the franchisee. Problem being that we recognize that some monies are indirectly funneled to the corporate level.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Red Robin:

In Utah, we have actually had a LOCAL RedRobin call us and ASK US BACK!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Looks like they're both corporate.

http://www.fuddruckers.com/local/location.php?s=199
    http://www.fuddruckers.com/local/location.php?s=83

ETA: hmm. If Fudds is now owned by Luby's, perhaps we can see what the new owners have to say regarding carry. Of course we know of what happened in one of their restaurants in Texas, an event that basically was the cause for TX to get concealed carry.
    It's my understanding that the sale will not be finale until sometime in July if approved by the court. Also see

New policy pro gun?

Other than We'll take it under advisement, Luby's hasn't said if their pro or anti.
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 03-21-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: fixed link

It's my understanding that the sale will not be finale until sometime in July if approved by the court. Also see

New policy pro gun?

Other than We'll take it under advisement, Luby's hasn't said if their pro or anti.
    Examiner linky brokey - no workey.

Examiner linky brokey - no workey.
    OK Grape I went back and fixed it. Its the same article we were discussing earlier.

I don't know why it didn't copy right the first time.

a thought just occured to me

as I was reading this post. Perhaps we should all send a "thank you" to the Starbucks corp. for being pro-gun. It has been a while since the brady goons gave them a hard time. They didn't cave and many of us thanked them at the time but it wouldn't hurt to let them know that we still appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6GC View Post
    as I was reading this post. Perhaps we should all send a "thank you" to the Starbucks corp. for being pro-gun. It has been a while since the brady goons gave them a hard time. They didn't cave and many of us thanked them at the time but it wouldn't hurt to let them know that we still appreciate it.
    Starbucks is not so much pro as they are neutral. They have asked that they not be made the center of attention and we have tried to honor that.

We do continue to patronize them and they continue to accept us. Life is good.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Starbucks is not so much pro as they are neutral. They have asked that they not be made the center of attention and we have tried to honor that.

We do continue to patronize them and they continue to accept us. Life is good.
    +1.
    I sent corp and my local shop a thank you anyway
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast