Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first semi-auto 45 ACP

My first semi-auto 45 ACP

Hey guys, wife gave me the green-light to buy a new gun and I actually found one under what I had budgeted. I ended up picking up a Taurus 24/7 OSS in 45 ACP, with a black frame and stainless steel slide. My budget was anywhere between $350-$450, and so I was also looking for a 1911. I realized there aren't too many 1911's out there with high cap magazines in in my price range, except for maybe a Rock Island Armory A2, but that was around the top end of my budget, and I knew my wife wouldn't like it if I spent that much money on a gun in our financial situation right now(I work 30 hours a week). But I'm genuinely excited for this gun, it's got a lot of nice features and some good reviews. I held this gun in my hand at a local gun shop in 9 mm, and it felt real good. I liked how it fit in my hand and the way the sights lined up as well. It comes with two 12 round magazines, and it's got a picatinny rail on the gun as well. I think the neatest feature is it can be fired in single or double action, and it's got a nice smooth trigger pull with a clean break. Just gotta pay for it and have it sent to my dealer now.

Last edited by Pyro01; 03-20-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added a picture
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

McX
    ahhh, 2 good things for you. i know how it feels- wife's ok, and the two tone gun. you simply must name it, so you wont ever sell it. holster it well, enjoy it and carry it proudly. i went with this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW7bA...aynext_from=PL
    Last edited by McX; 03-20-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    thats a nice looking sidearm congrats
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Thanks all, this is going to be something I'll be using for open carry and conceal carry. I got some lessons lined up with CalicoJack in a few weeks, and I'll be able to bring this thing instead of my handcannon for training, probably much to CalicoJack's pleasure. Now I just have to figure out what kind of holsters I want, so many choices!

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Looks good and a .45 to boot . Many people including myself wear the BLACKHAWK SERPA holster which has a retention system. Also you may want to look into the Safariland ALS holsters.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Congrats Pyro. I am always excited to buy a new gun. From personal experience, Taurus makes some awesome weapons. I think they have a lifetime guarantee.

Great gun! Congrats. Oh, welcome to the .45ACP club.

Nuthin' like a flying bus to stop a bad guy...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Hardballer, that link in your signature to the Buffalo Holster Company has an announcement on the front page for my gun. The irony is, I know you probably didn't change your signature for this post, but when I clicked on it, they just happened to have my new gun on their front page. :P Now I gotta check it out.

- Thomas Jefferson

XD45s are better. *ducks*
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

They may or may not be better Protias, but they are more expensive :P

- Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations on your new gun looks great.
    I am a big fan Taurus products.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    They may or may not be better Protias, but they are more expensive :P
    Depends on the 1911...I've seen a lot that are 700+.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I had one of those sold it a year ago. Nice pistol over all but the trigger pull was too long/heavy for me & the trigger reset time was to much. Those were designed to compete in the Contest for the new US Military 45.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    Hardballer, that link in your signature to the Buffalo Holster Company has an announcement on the front page for my gun. The irony is, I know you probably didn't change your signature for this post, but when I clicked on it, they just happened to have my new gun on their front page. :P Now I gotta check it out.
    Hey, Great, Yeah, adding more all the time. Several Glocks, 1911, even the J frame S&W. You got yourself a fine sidearm there. I like em...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    Great gun! Congrats. Oh, welcome to the .45ACP club.

Nuthin' like a flying bus to stop a bad guy...
    Hey-oh!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a Desert Tan 24/7 OSS Special Ops--meaning night Trijicon sights. It finished at the top of the SOCOMM .45ACP evaluation--along with SIG, then the Gov decided not to buy them. Still, well made, nice looking, if different and I like the DA/SA striker set up ("second shot capability"), and the only striker fire I have. Prefer 1911s and Hi-Powers (just bought another, the 75th Anniversary model), but with a SIG Laserlyte on the Taurus and decocked to DA, it makes an excellent home defense gun. Too big for CC, but wouldn't be my choice, anyway. I paid 5 bills for mine and see they've come down in price. Shoots low, but easy enough to allow for--and with a laser attached is irrelevant. Good buy for the money. Would take it over a Glock or XD, tied with the S&W M&P for a .45 plastic pistol imo.

Yeah, I'm considering adding a laser to it as well, I should probably look for a holster that can accommodate one on a picatinny rail. I would still practice using it with and without a laser, ya know, in case the battery ever ran out for some reason. A green laser would be cool, but I don't think I'd want to spend that much, I know they make some cheaper green lasers on picatinny rails, but the reviews about them are poor.
    Last edited by Pyro01; 03-21-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added stuff

- Thomas Jefferson

The laser is really for indoor, low light situations to my mind. A red does just fine in that environment. The fact is, I shoot much better with iron sights than any laser. Keep in mind, sight your laser in for the range you feel is optimal. Lasers go straight, bullets don't, so even the difference between 25 and 50' will put it off by an inch or two. Iron sights, once you know your gun, won't.

Yeah, I knew that about lasers, green lasers are extremely visible except on the brightest of days and the surface you happen to be shining it on. I'm not going to stick a laser on it unless it's green, I used to own a green laser pointer when they were just coming out, but it got lost at some point and I was quite sad, you could see that thing over 2000 feet away. To me, red lasers are just a joke unless you build your own to an output greater than 5 mW. I build my own lasers when I can, but I haven't had a lot of spare time or money lately. My pride and joy right now is a blu-ray laser with an output of about 120 mW. Built the circuit from scratch and soddered it all together myself, runs on a 9 volt battery and is housed in a small project box. I did try making one about 3x more powerful than that one a while back but I accidentally burnt the diode out from a surge in power, but the few times I did have it working it was glorious!
    Last edited by Pyro01; 03-22-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typos >_<

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The laser is really for indoor, low light situations to my mind. A red does just fine in that environment. The fact is, I shoot much better with iron sights than any laser. Keep in mind, sight your laser in for the range you feel is optimal. Lasers go straight, bullets don't, so even the difference between 25 and 50' will put it off by an inch or two. Iron sights, once you know your gun, won't.
    I don't know what you're shooting, but an "inch or two" change in trajectory over the span of just 25 feet seems a bit wild. It think a more reasonable estimate is half an inch difference between 25 yards and 50 yards.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I don't know what you're shooting, but an "inch or two" change in trajectory over the span of just 25 feet seems a bit wild. It think a more reasonable estimate is half an inch difference between 25 yards and 50 yards.
    The difference between where I know the bullet would hit via the iron sights and where the laser is pointing at ~15 yards is about 1.5" below where the laser points. It co-witnesses at ~ 5 yards. As it's for indoor PD only, that's no big deal to me. 24/7 OSS Spec Ops 5.25" bbl, .45ACP. Not gnat's ass ranges, just roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    XD45s are better.
    I have me one of those and I am quite fond of it.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The difference between where I know the bullet would hit via the iron sights and where the laser is pointing at ~15 yards is about 1.5" below where the laser points. It co-witnesses at ~ 5 yards. As it's for indoor PD only, that's no big deal to me. 24/7 OSS Spec Ops 5.25" bbl, .45ACP. Not gnat's ass ranges, just roughly.
    My Crimson Trace works the same. I am also set up for about 15 feet, but if I got the gun up to be able to aim it with the iron sights, I would. I would only use my lasers when I can't take the time to use the real sights. It is better then nothing, and at 15 feet, it is right on the mark. Makes my .38 more fun also...

I did find a laser that piqued my interest.

http://www.5starfirearms.com/images/loaders/460.jpg

My only concern is that it may not fit easily into a holster. The price is right though!

- Thomas Jefferson

My bullets hit the same spot whether using iron sights or laser. If you're getting different spots with different sights then something isn't dialed in right. The fact that bullets don't go in a straight line has nothing to do with the type of sight you use, or even if you don't use an sight. When you use iron sights your vision is in a straight line-- same as a laser. If you perceive a difference between iron and laser sights it may be due to the fact that the spot of aim is more precise with a laser. When you're just eyeballing it your spot of aim is more of a general vicinity sort of deal than a pencil diameter spot put down by a laser.

IMO lasers aren't useless, but they are sort of mission specific items for certain situations. From what I've observed they have a tendency to slow shooting down because the person is looking for that dot or waiting for it to settle into a spot -- which isn't necessarily a good thing when fractions of a second count. On the other hand they can be useful when one is forced to shoot from an unconventional or awkward position-- such as from the ground.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast