• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first semi-auto 45 ACP

Gunslinger

I don't know what you're shooting, but an "inch or two" change in trajectory over the span of just 25 feet seems a bit wild. It think a more reasonable estimate is half an inch difference between 25 yards and 50 yards.

The difference between where I know the bullet would hit via the iron sights and where the laser is pointing at ~15 yards is about 1.5" below where the laser points. It co-witnesses at ~ 5 yards. As it's for indoor PD only, that's no big deal to me. 24/7 OSS Spec Ops 5.25" bbl, .45ACP. Not gnat's ass ranges, just roughly.

AaronS

The difference between where I know the bullet would hit via the iron sights and where the laser is pointing at ~15 yards is about 1.5" below where the laser points. It co-witnesses at ~ 5 yards. As it's for indoor PD only, that's no big deal to me. 24/7 OSS Spec Ops 5.25" bbl, .45ACP. Not gnat's ass ranges, just roughly.

My Crimson Trace works the same. I am also set up for about 15 feet, but if I got the gun up to be able to aim it with the iron sights, I would. I would only use my lasers when I can't take the time to use the real sights. It is better then nothing, and at 15 feet, it is right on the mark. Makes my .38 more fun also...

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
My bullets hit the same spot whether using iron sights or laser. If you're getting different spots with different sights then something isn't dialed in right. The fact that bullets don't go in a straight line has nothing to do with the type of sight you use, or even if you don't use an sight. When you use iron sights your vision is in a straight line-- same as a laser. If you perceive a difference between iron and laser sights it may be due to the fact that the spot of aim is more precise with a laser. When you're just eyeballing it your spot of aim is more of a general vicinity sort of deal than a pencil diameter spot put down by a laser.

IMO lasers aren't useless, but they are sort of mission specific items for certain situations. From what I've observed they have a tendency to slow shooting down because the person is looking for that dot or waiting for it to settle into a spot -- which isn't necessarily a good thing when fractions of a second count. On the other hand they can be useful when one is forced to shoot from an unconventional or awkward position-- such as from the ground.

Pyro01

This sucks, the FFL I went to in town, Pawnex, hasn't sent their FFL to the dealer yet. I gave him the info on monday, he didn't send it out yesterday, and now today the pawn store isn't open because we are in the middle of a blizzard. Last night it started, was walking the dog in it and there was lightning and thunder to boot! I don't like dealing with this guy, but he's the closest FFL around.

Video of me walking my puppy in this crazy weather

***Fixed my link*** Thanks Running Wolf.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
This sucks, the FFL I went to in town, Pawnex, hasn't sent their FFL to the dealer yet. I gave him the info on monday, he didn't send it out yesterday, and now today the pawn store isn't open because we are in the middle of a blizzard. Last night it started, was walking the dog in it and there was lightning and thunder to boot! I don't like dealing with this guy, but he's the closest FFL around.

Video of me walking my puppy in this crazy weather

Fixed link . . .

Pyro01

Managed to contact the FFL today, turns out he thought a 5 in the fax number was a 9. He said he was sending it right when I called him, and so my gun should be getting sent out today. I called up the dealer I bought the gun from and he said once they receive it should be going out today, hurrah!

Pyro01

Looks good and a .45 to boot
thumbsup.gif
. Many people including myself wear the BLACKHAWK SERPA holster which has a retention system. Also you may want to look into the Safariland ALS holsters.

I looked at all the safariland holsters and it seems all the holsters meant for a 24/7 is for the pro model, not the OSS. It only allowed up to a 4 inch barrel on all their holsters, which is too bad because I liked their holsters. I've been looking at Blackhawk Serpa holsters and have found some that would fit my gun just fine, but the only thing that I keep thinking about is what kind of holster I want. There are many good holsters our there, but should I try to find something that can be used for concealed carry, and open carry as well, or should I get two different holsters for each type of carry? I know I may sound cheap, but if I can find something that does the job well for both types of carry, isn't that good enough? That line of thinking is leading me to some sort of IWB-type holster, but until I can actually try different holsters with my actual gun, I'm thinking I should wait on purchasing a holster until I have the gun in my hand. For me, I just like versatility.

1245A Defender

Wow!!

I looked at all the safariland holsters and it seems all the holsters meant for a 24/7 is for the pro model, not the OSS. It only allowed up to a 4 inch barrel on all their holsters, which is too bad because I liked their holsters. I've been looking at Blackhawk Serpa holsters and have found some that would fit my gun just fine, but the only thing that I keep thinking about is what kind of holster I want. There are many good holsters our there, but should I try to find something that can be used for concealed carry, and open carry as well, or should I get two different holsters for each type of carry? I know I may sound cheap, but if I can find something that does the job well for both types of carry, isn't that good enough? That line of thinking is leading me to some sort of IWB-type holster, but until I can actually try different holsters with my actual gun, I'm thinking I should wait on purchasing a holster until I have the gun in my hand. For me, I just like versatility.

i have to read all about how youre searching for the perfect holster...
depending on carrying CC or OC...
now i find out,,, you dont have a gun yet,,,:banghead:

maybe you should just buy anyold holster,,,
then buy a gun that fits...:banana:

Pyro01

i have to read all about how youre searching for the perfect holster...
depending on carrying CC or OC...
now i find out,,, you dont have a gun yet,,,:banghead:

maybe you should just buy anyold holster,,,
then buy a gun that fits...:banana:

I have bought the gun, it's just I don't have it in my hand yet. It is a Taurus 24/7 OSS 45 ACP with a 5.25" barrel, and weighs 31.4 oz unloaded. It should be arriving at my FFL today, and then I still have to wait 48 hours till I can pick it up. I just need to figure out my preferred way to carry my gun (i.e. IWB, OWB, retention holsters), and that is where I'm stuck. The handgun is a large size semi-auto pistol. It's also got a picatinny rail, and it'd be really cool if I could find a holster that has enough room for something on the rail.

Last edited:

anmut

Alright, I know I'm going to get railed for this one... but: What is the appeal to the .45ACP? A .40 striker-fired can hold 2x+ the rounds and almost equal damage to a bad guy. Plus the ammo is cheaper for practice.

I've only shot a couple of them and I've never owned one, so maybe I "just don't get it."

XDFDE45

Alright, I know I'm going to get railed for this one... but: What is the appeal to the .45ACP? A .40 striker-fired can hold 2x+ the rounds and almost equal damage to a bad guy. Plus the ammo is cheaper for practice.

I've only shot a couple of them and I've never owned one, so maybe I "just don't get it."
That right there answers your question :p.

anmut

That right there answers your question :p.

LOL - okay so it *almost* does as much damage. But I think that a .40 does enough damage to do the job and that the .45 could even be overkill for what is actually needed.

So in my mind the damage factor between the rounds is moot and not a factor. Next is round capacity and cost per round - which the .40 has and the .45ACP does not.

Not trying to start a flame war or stir a hornets nest, just want some opinions from people that own them. Is it just because the 1911 is such a beautiful looking firearm? That's the only real reason I can think of that a 1911 has over any striker-fired .40.

XDFDE45

The round count is greater if you carry a .40 vs. a 1911 but as you can see by my name I carry a striker in .45 which is a 13+1 capacity. So with one in the gun and say 2 extra mags that is 40 rounds. Part of it may be the history of the .45 and how long it was used by the military and how well it served our service men before switching to the 9mm. The cost is cheaper for a .40 vs. .45 but as a member here said I like the idea of a "flying bus" heading in the direction of a bad guy
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

protias

.45ACP is less likely to over penetrate. It is a heavier bullet and is under less pressure.