• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first semi-auto 45 ACP

Pyro01

Hey guys, wife gave me the green-light to buy a new gun and I actually found one under what I had budgeted. I ended up picking up a Taurus 24/7 OSS in 45 ACP, with a black frame and stainless steel slide. My budget was anywhere between $350-$450, and so I was also looking for a 1911. I realized there aren't too many 1911's out there with high cap magazines in in my price range, except for maybe a Rock Island Armory A2, but that was around the top end of my budget, and I knew my wife wouldn't like it if I spent that much money on a gun in our financial situation right now(I work 30 hours a week). But I'm genuinely excited for this gun, it's got a lot of nice features and some good reviews. I held this gun in my hand at a local gun shop in 9 mm, and it felt real good. I liked how it fit in my hand and the way the sights lined up as well. It comes with two 12 round magazines, and it's got a picatinny rail on the gun as well. I think the neatest feature is it can be fired in single or double action, and it's got a nice smooth trigger pull with a clean break. Just gotta pay for it and have it sent to my dealer now.

24-7-OSS-DS45S.jpg

Last edited:

Pyro01

Thanks all, this is going to be something I'll be using for open carry and conceal carry. I got some lessons lined up with CalicoJack in a few weeks, and I'll be able to bring this thing instead of my handcannon for training, probably much to CalicoJack's pleasure. Now I just have to figure out what kind of holsters I want, so many choices!

Max

Congrats Pyro. I am always excited to buy a new gun. From personal experience, Taurus makes some awesome weapons. I think they have a lifetime guarantee.

Pyro01

Hardballer, that link in your signature to the Buffalo Holster Company has an announcement on the front page for my gun. The irony is, I know you probably didn't change your signature for this post, but when I clicked on it, they just happened to have my new gun on their front page. :p Now I gotta check it out.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I had one of those sold it a year ago. Nice pistol over all but the trigger pull was too long/heavy for me & the trigger reset time was to much. Those were designed to compete in the Contest for the new US Military 45.

hardballer

Hardballer, that link in your signature to the Buffalo Holster Company has an announcement on the front page for my gun. The irony is, I know you probably didn't change your signature for this post, but when I clicked on it, they just happened to have my new gun on their front page. :p Now I gotta check it out.

Hey, Great, Yeah, adding more all the time. Several Glocks, 1911, even the J frame S&W. You got yourself a fine sidearm there. I like em...

Gunslinger

I have a Desert Tan 24/7 OSS Special Ops--meaning night Trijicon sights. It finished at the top of the SOCOMM .45ACP evaluation--along with SIG, then the Gov decided not to buy them. Still, well made, nice looking, if different and I like the DA/SA striker set up ("second shot capability"), and the only striker fire I have. Prefer 1911s and Hi-Powers (just bought another, the 75th Anniversary model), but with a SIG Laserlyte on the Taurus and decocked to DA, it makes an excellent home defense gun. Too big for CC, but wouldn't be my choice, anyway. I paid 5 bills for mine and see they've come down in price. Shoots low, but easy enough to allow for--and with a laser attached is irrelevant. Good buy for the money. Would take it over a Glock or XD, tied with the S&W M&P for a .45 plastic pistol imo.

Pyro01

Yeah, I'm considering adding a laser to it as well, I should probably look for a holster that can accommodate one on a picatinny rail. I would still practice using it with and without a laser, ya know, in case the battery ever ran out for some reason. A green laser would be cool, but I don't think I'd want to spend that much, I know they make some cheaper green lasers on picatinny rails, but the reviews about them are poor.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

The laser is really for indoor, low light situations to my mind. A red does just fine in that environment. The fact is, I shoot much better with iron sights than any laser. Keep in mind, sight your laser in for the range you feel is optimal. Lasers go straight, bullets don't, so even the difference between 25 and 50' will put it off by an inch or two. Iron sights, once you know your gun, won't.

Pyro01

Yeah, I knew that about lasers, green lasers are extremely visible except on the brightest of days and the surface you happen to be shining it on. I'm not going to stick a laser on it unless it's green, I used to own a green laser pointer when they were just coming out, but it got lost at some point and I was quite sad, you could see that thing over 2000 feet away. To me, red lasers are just a joke unless you build your own to an output greater than 5 mW. I build my own lasers when I can, but I haven't had a lot of spare time or money lately. My pride and joy right now is a blu-ray laser with an output of about 120 mW. Built the circuit from scratch and soddered it all together myself, runs on a 9 volt battery and is housed in a small project box. I did try making one about 3x more powerful than that one a while back but I accidentally burnt the diode out from a surge in power, but the few times I did have it working it was glorious!

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The laser is really for indoor, low light situations to my mind. A red does just fine in that environment. The fact is, I shoot much better with iron sights than any laser. Keep in mind, sight your laser in for the range you feel is optimal. Lasers go straight, bullets don't, so even the difference between 25 and 50' will put it off by an inch or two. Iron sights, once you know your gun, won't.

I don't know what you're shooting, but an "inch or two" change in trajectory over the span of just 25 feet seems a bit wild. It think a more reasonable estimate is half an inch difference between 25 yards and 50 yards.