• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first 1911...looking for a holster

Harvdog

I have always wanted a 1911 and came across a great deal on a new Springfield Armory Mil-Spec full size stainless steel one that I just couldn't pass up...especially since they have been so hard to find recently.

Anyway, looking for some OWB holster options. I would prefere something in leather. I don't carry SOB now but should I consider this as well?

Here she is:
IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

t33j

I carry my 1911s in a Galco FLETCH. Not a super huge fan but it does a good job for an ok price. Also works for CC if your shirt / whatever is long enough.
Despite what the manufacturer says, it will hold a 1911 in the manner in which it is supposed to be carried.

Nice gun, like the photos. :)

Last edited:

Dreamer

Well, I guess we can't convince you to get a Serpa, so I won't try...

The Galco Fletch is a good OWB holster with a thumb-snap for retention. They are solidy built, comfortable, and very nice looking. However, I don't know if the thumb strap will work when carrying in Condition 1...

The Galco COP 3-slot holster has a thumb snap too, and has an interesting belt slot system that allows you to change the cant for different modes of carry.

The Dual Position Phoenix allows you to carry a 1911 in both a strong-side vertical position and in a cross-draw position. This might be something you want to look at if you spend a lot of time in a vehicle.

If you are interested in SOB (well, really ore like 4:00 or 5:00 position) carry, the Galco N-3 is an excellent holster, but it's more suited for CC than OC, since it is an IWB. I had one of the original versions of this design--the NSA, and it was super-comfy carrying a Colt Delta Elite. But again, it's more for CC...

I'm a big fan of the Galco FED Paddle. It's got thumb strap retention, adjustable cant, leather construction, and it's a paddle holster so it's easier to put on and take off than a belt-slide holster.

The PLE is similar to the FED, but it's unlined, and does not have adjustable cant.

Currently the only Galco I use with any regularity is a Side Snap Scabbard, and as it has no thumb strap, I use it exclusively for CC when I'm "dressing up" like in a suit, or with a sports coat. It has EXCELLENT fit and very positive "friction retention", is comfy, and the snap belt loops are VERY convenient. The wide placement of the belt loops also helps spread the weight on my belt, and that is a BIG plus with my 1911 of choice--a Para Ordnance S-14.45, which is an all-steel double-stack 1911--weighing in at about 40oz unloaded...

I have a box full of old holsters, because like many people, I have sort of "worked my way up". I started carrying my Para in an inexpensive Galco Paddle Lite, but soon moved up to a Serpa CQC for OC and a Galco SSS for CC.

In the past, whe I had a Colt Delta Elite, I had several Galco and Bianchi IWBs, a Galco FED Paddle, as well as Bianchi X2000 Phantom and Galco Miami Classic shoulder holsters. All were good in their own ways, and they all had drawbacks too.

Good luck finding a holster you like. It can be a difficult (and expensive) process.

Last edited:

tcmech

I would contact backwoods leather in Portsmouth Virginia, they make some nice stuff.