• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This idiot should not be allowed to use a gun

MKEgal

There's this cookie company, and apparently birds occasionally get in their warehouse / production area, and apparently the company is OK with its employees shooting at them if there's no other way to get them to leave.
Police were told that shooting at birds in the warehouse area of the plant was not supposed to occur when employees were present.

But this guy is a complete & utter idiot.
He shot at a bird with other people in the area where he was pointing the gun!
And he hit someone.
Someone who was working a dough mixing machine, so there might be birdshot in the cookies.

That idiot pulled a piece of birdshot out of the side of his head, went on working for more than an hour, then talked with police while he was on break.
Then waited 2 days to get medical attention.

Here are 2 articles about it:
http://www.startribune.com/local/ea...ksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUzyaUiacyKU7DYaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUs
http://www.dairylanddiaries.com/bird-not-in-hand-is-worth-fine-or-time/

I googled: best maid cookie co river falls wi shooting
How many other fails can you find in this incident?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I can believe it. Some people are afraid, with good reason, of being fired for merely taking care of themselves.

As necessary as it is, the death of unions will bring about more of this as the middle class disappears and the elite/slave division becomes more undeniable.

Gunslinger

I can believe it. Some people are afraid, with good reason, of being fired for merely taking care of themselves.

As necessary as it is, the death of unions will bring about more of this as the middle class disappears and the elite/slave division becomes more undeniable.

The Unions are the main agents of the "elite/slave" division. Getting rid of them will enlarge and energize the middle class, not lead to its destruction. Orwell, "Animal Farm": we are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others."

MKEgal

1) Folks, please get off the political/philosophical bickering.

2) Let's add more "stupid gun user tricks" to the thread as we find them.

While I'm not sure this man deserves the epithet "idiot", he sure did some stupid things.
http://www.jsonline.com/118751514.html
27MAR11
A 10-year-old Town of Delafield boy was accidentally shot in the stomach by his father...
Authorities reported the father was cleaning his gun when the boy was accidentally shot in their home.
I've aleady posted a comment on the article talking about the 4 rules, and how this was not an "accident", it was negligence.
From all reports, the boy is recovering nicely & should be fine.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Something seems off about this story. Especially the reaction by the person supposedly shot.

He was hit with shot from a .22 shotshell.

I probably wouldn't have sought medical attention 2 days later, 2 months later, or ever.

Have you ever been shot with one of those? Taken a ricochet at least?

They are not powerful.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What I do not understand is:

1) USDA allows quite a bit of non-food stuff to be in products designed to be eaten by humans. Just what percentage of the dough would the bird be if the whole thing fell into the batch being processed? And if the bird did not fall in, whatever bird parts/byproducts fell in would be even less. So what's the problem?

2) OSHA and state-equivalent agencies usually have all sorts of workplace violence rules that prohibit firearms in the workplace. You'd think folks would be aware and follow those rules.

3) The odds are pretty low that the bird flitting around inside the factory was a nuisance species. Odds are much higher it was either migratory or songbird species, both of which are protected by federal & state laws that carry higher penalties than what the jerk was charged with. How did the JBT prosecutors miss their chance to really stick it to the idiot?

4) "Salt and pepper pellets"? I know you are supposed to put salt on a bird's tail to keep it from flying away. but what company makes shells for pre-seasoning your fowl? Do they also make garlic shells for vampires?

stay safe.

Aknazer

1) Folks, please get off the political/philosophical bickering.....

This is the Social Lounge, not general discussion specific to OC or RKBA.

True, but she did make the thread and if she doesn't want it to get derailed I don't think it's too much for her to ask for the posts to be kept on target. If people want to talk about things like unions they can just as easily make their own thread.

Greg Bradburn

He was hit with shot from a .22 shotshell.

I probably wouldn't have sought medical attention 2 days later, 2 months later, or ever.

Have you ever been shot with one of those? Taken a ricochet at least?

They are not powerful.

I remember when I read Ronald Reagan's auto-biography he had a story in there about how, after his terms as President, he would be walking on his ranch with secret service in tow and see a rattlesnake in the path in front of them. He would draw his revolver and plaster the snake from 10-15 yards away, shooting from the hip. The secret service were always extremely impressed. He admitted in the book that he never told the secret service that he revolver was loaded with bird shot :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I remember when I read Ronald Reagan's auto-biography he had a story in there about how, after his terms as President, he would be walking on his ranch with secret service in tow and see a rattlesnake in the path in front of them. He would draw his revolver and plaster the snake from 10-15 yards away, shooting from the hip. The secret service were always extremely impressed. He admitted in the book that he never told the secret service that he revolver was loaded with bird shot :)

OK, but was it a .22?

Have you seen .22 shotshells?

There is "bird shot", and there is "bird shot".

The shot in my .45 shotshells would qualify as "bird shot".

The shot in a .22 shotshell is super tiny in comparison.

Gunslinger

True, but she did make the thread and if she doesn't want it to get derailed I don't think it's too much for her to ask for the posts to be kept on target. If people want to talk about things like unions they can just as easily make their own thread.

Once you get another 7 or 8 hundred posts you'll see that nothing on this forum is linear, nor should it be. Too many ground rules and requirements stiffles creative thought. While the Mods may be a bit heavy handed at times on certain subjects, they give great latitude in most areas. That's one reason I stick around.

You can't "start another thread" to answer a post on the one you're reading. You can take it to another thread, if the discussion has value and legs. Most of us can make that distinction. Here, I don't believe it's applicable.

Gunslinger

OK, but was it a .22?

Have you seen .22 shotshells?

There is "bird shot", and there is "bird shot".

The shot in my .45 shotshells would qualify as "bird shot".

The shot in a .22 shotshell is super tiny in comparison.

And a .22LR isn't exactly packed with powder to propel them, either. A good air rifle would generate as much velocity, I would think.

Aknazer

Once you get another 7 or 8 hundred posts you'll see that nothing on this forum is linear, nor should it be. Too many ground rules and requirements stiffles creative thought. While the Mods may be a bit heavy handed at times on certain subjects, they give great latitude in most areas. That's one reason I stick around.

You can't "start another thread" to answer a post on the one you're reading. You can take it to another thread, if the discussion has value and legs. Most of us can make that distinction. Here, I don't believe it's applicable.

I have posted far more than 700-800 posts on various forums and don't need to post even more on any forum to know that things don't go in a linear pattern. But that doesn't mean that a thread can't stay on subject either. This thread isn't about unions, its about people being stupid with guns. If the first person wanted to talk about unions then he could make another thread about it. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep a thread somewhat on topic and preventing it from devolving into an argument that's off topic to begin with.

EDIT: And yes I've seen people take something from one thread and make a whole new thread. They would even link back to the original thread for where their idea came from. No reason it couldn't be done here if you really wanted to talk about unions.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I have posted far more than 700-800 posts on various forums and don't need to post even more on any forum to know that things don't go in a linear pattern. But that doesn't mean that a thread can't stay on subject either. This thread isn't about unions, its about people being stupid with guns. If the first person wanted to talk about unions then he could make another thread about it. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep a thread somewhat on topic and preventing it from devolving into an argument that's off topic to begin with.

EDIT: And yes I've seen people take something from one thread and make a whole new thread. They would even link back to the original thread for where their idea came from. No reason it couldn't be done here if you really wanted to talk about unions.

But, you're off topic debating the merits of staying on topic, n'est pas? And you don't have any experience on this forum, irrespective of other forums you've been on, so don't know the ropes. My intent was to help you learn them on 'this' forum.

Last edited: