• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might be moving to the Herndon/Sterling/Chantilly area. PA resident.

Mr.FiredUp

Just figured I'd start doing some research on how friendly it is in the Herndon area. So far, the crime rate seems to be not that bad, the schools seem good (I've got 4 kids under 7), and the carry laws seem to be even better than PA for the most part.

I was mainly curious if anybody had "inside info" so to speak from that area. My brother lives in Sterling which seems nice, and his wife works in Herndon and she says it's not bad there either. Problem is, They don't even own a gun much less carry. So, they're not real "connected" to the 2a aspect of the area.

Any info is much appreciated... off to other forums;)...

hunter45

Look into western Prince William (Haymarket) and Fauquier County (The Plains, Marshall, Linden). It's MUCH nicer than it is around here and it's only 15-40 minutes further west.

grylnsmn

Look into western Prince William (Haymarket) and Fauquier County (The Plains, Marshall, Linden). It's MUCH nicer than it is around here and it's only 15-40 minutes further west.

You know, I find it sad when I see people talk about how it's "only" 15-40 minutes farther away.

About 5 years ago, my parents moved from NoVa to Spokane, Washington. My father's commute (distance-wise) didn't change much. However, because of the difference in traffic, what used to take him 45-60 minutes now takes him only 15-20 minutes, and I can see the difference it has made in his stress levels and overall health. (Admittedly, some of the reduced stress comes from having most of his grandkids around.)

Even a 15 minute difference in your commute each way steals about 120 hours of time that you could be spending with your family each year. An extra 40 minutes each way increases that lost time to almost 320 hours, or almost 2 whole weeks (13 days, 8 hours). When I bought my house two years ago, I made the switch from a 1 hour commute (by bus, train, and foot) to a 15-20 minute commute each way (by car, including picking up a coworker). Even in the worst snow storm this year, I still got home in 1.5 hours, while my boss (who lives "only" 30 minutes farther away) took 11 hours. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to that longer commute. I would never even consider a commute like one coworker (who lives in West Virginia and commutes into Arlington and/or DC every day).

For the most part, Northern Virginia is relatively low crime all over. Yes, there is some variation from place to place, and there are some places you want to avoid, but none of it is so bad that you need to consider losing so much of your limited time just to avoid crime.

Also, for the most part, pretty much every jurisdiction in NoVa is fairly friendly to carry, both OC and CC. It gets a little worse the closer you get to DC and the Potomac, but even then, it's not too bad. I've been carrying all over Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria without any significant problems for several years.

Of course, you need to decide for yourself what trade offs are worth making. If you are willing to accept a longer commute to get a bigger/cheaper house, or avoid a slightly increased crime rate, then go for it. Just keep in mind both the benefits you will be getting and the disadvantages that come with them.

Jonton

I'm in Sterling, and I feel a bit safer here than I do in Herndon. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with the area and the people, but I like where I am. The crime rate is similar, but overall I'm pretty happy living in Loudoun with close access to Fairfax. I find Sterling (Loudoun in general) to be a bit more relaxed, less crowded, and more respecting of my 2A rights. Because some parts of Loudoun are more rural than Fairfax, it seems like it's residents are more accustomed to seeing guns in a positive light, whereas Fairfax (closer to DC) associates guns with crimes.

I can't say anything about the differences in rights between PA and VA, but I know my area pretty well, as does Ed.

Hope to be seeing you soon!
~Jonathan

Mr.FiredUp

They are both equally priced and crime ridden. I carry in both as well. Herndon town has their own police force too. I can answer other local questions for you as well.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Someone told me on another forum that "Herndon proper" is the rough area and the "outskirts" of Herndon weren't that bad. I need to just drive down and take a look for myself. I'm just a crazy planner and I figured I'd ask as many questions of the locals as I could.

How is the Herndon police force? Does it reach the whole area or just a select "city" type area? Do they relate well to OC or is it an issue like with the Philly PD up here in PA?

Last question... where do people down there look for places to rent? Any help on a house search is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.