Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Fun Weekend 4/30, the Final Chapter

Firearms Fun Weekend 4/30, the Final Chapter

OK Wisconsin, here is all the info, if I miss anything, I will fix it on edit.

Open Carry Meet and Eat

This will be at Bad Bones BBQ in downtown Minocqua on Saturday April 30th, 2011 and will run from noon to about 7 p.m. The address is listed below. Open carry is encouraged, but not required.

Fun Shoot and Fundraiser

Noon to Dusk

This is a free to everyone event. We will have drinks (Soda/Water) for sale there throughout the course of the day. The range is 100 yards and will accommodate any firearm up to 20 MM Sniper Rifles (I have shot one there). Full Autos are not OK at this event unless they are accompanied by LEOs or appropriate paperwork, and they should not exceed.223 or 9mm in caliber.

Awards will be given for first, second, and third place in the following 8 events set up on the day of the fun shoot.

Junior Rifle
    Junior Pistol
    Antique Military Rifle
    Antique Muzzle Loader
    Modern Muzzle Loader
    Hunting Rifle
    Carry/Duty Pistol
    Precision Rifle

There is no cost to compete in any of these events and they will be set up throughout the day to allow for some shooting for fun. Appropriate targets for the contests will be supplied by us, however, you will be responsible for your own weapons and ammunition, as well as the appropriate range and safety gear you will need. All weapons and ammunition that are in questionable condition will have to be inspected prior to shooting by a gunsmith that will be on sight. Everyone on the range will have to read and sign off on a liability waiver for the sponsors, as well as the range safety brief.

We will also have several range booths set up for a shoot for fun deal in case you just want to come out and throw a few rounds down range. We will also have extra targets for sale at the event.

We will have donation buckets set up for the Lakeland Area Special Olympics, and all of the donations as well as the money from the drink and target sales will be donated to this organization. There will also be a donation bucket set up for the Vietnam Veterans of America at the registration table, and the funds from this will be donated to help with the upkeep of the range itself.

This will be a shoot at your own risk event.

For anyone desiring to stay the night you should be sure to contact the AmericInn of Minocqua and let them know you are there with Calico Jack Defense. This is so that they can give you the letter of permission to carry openly on their property being that they have a Liquor License that has not expired yet. Their info will also be listed at the bottom of the page.

Also, the plan is to have our district's state representative stop by during the event to allow for a chance to meet some of the athletes and see what we are doing. However, I am asking that the politics be kept to a minimum as he is already well aware of OC, and constitutional carry, and this event is about benefiting the Special Olympics. I should also add that this man is a decent human being and is VERY pro gun and has worked hard to make sure we have the rights we want recognized.

There will also be no age requirement for this event, butchildren must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is legally allowed to sign the waiver and range safety brief for them.

I am hoping that the only edit I will have to make is to allow for a shotgun contest, but we will see. As usual, if you have any questions, e-mail me through my site http://www.cjdefense.com/ , PM me on here, or call me on my business line listed on the web site.

Bad Bones BBQ
    201 Milwaukee St.
    Minocqua, WI 54548
    (715) 358-0200

AmericInn of Minocqua
    700 Hwy 51 North
    Minocqua, WI 54548
    (715) 356-3730
    (Make sure you tell them you are there with Calico Jack Defense)

Last edited by CalicoJack10; 03-26-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Sounds great!

Btw just an opinion on your website, flash intros with music = heart attacks!

I remember seeing something about a "bring your dog to lunch" thing somewhere. This event isn't it, is it?

Nope, definitely not a bring your dog to lunch event.
    Calico Jack Defense

Yep, just found it. It's June 25th at the same place. I might make it up to that one with bully. :-D

I see the times for the meet and eat. Whats the schedule for the range time?

Thats going to be from noon till dusk, or till we have no shooters left. I will be starting one of the contests every 45 minutes depending on how long each one takes.
    Calico Jack Defense

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Thats going to be from noon till dusk, or till we have no shooters left. I will be starting one of the contests every 45 minutes depending on how long each one takes.
    Now the real question, do I order that new Timney trigger or not... It would give me a little advantage, although in a losing situation I would only be able to blame myself then and not the hardware. Decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Now the real question, do I order that new Timney trigger or not... It would give me a little advantage, although in a losing situation I would only be able to blame myself then and not the hardware. Decisions decisions.
    It's hard to beat a Timney for drop-in performance! As for your other concern, theres always that powder measure you've been fighting with that sometimes drops a 10% light charge from time to time.

I personally think if I make a capable firearm and I do not shoot it to it's potential, then it gives me something to work for.

That's at least 50% of what I think is fun in shooting.
    Calico Jack Defense

Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    It's hard to beat a Timney for drop-in performance! As for your other concern, theres always that powder measure you've been fighting with that sometimes drops a 10% light charge from time to time.
    I use the dips for that awesome feeling of orthodox loads. Had a powder measure device, and it'll be coming with me to the private trap range this summer for it's first and final flight.

CalicoJack -

I was wondering if the range master would freak out if someone brought a slidefire stock for an AR? Completely legal - the reason I ask as I'm thinking about investing in one before the ATF finds a reason to outlaw it.

I am the rangemaster/CRSO for this event. I would have to say you could very well get away with it. Lol
    Calico Jack Defense

I am the rangemaster/CRSO for this event. I would have to say you could very well get away with it. Lol
    LOL - nice!

This is a privately run range on state land, and I have gotten the go ahead to shut it down for a "Private Event" on that day. So as long as I don't violate the lease with the DNR, I am running the show top to bottom. And I have family that works for the DNR, so I will be the final word on what happens. (Within reason) I am open to a great many things when it comes to firearms.

So if you have any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns, just post them here and I will get the answer out so everyone knows it. Just remember, I am pro gun, pro 2A, and in my world people come first. I want this to be an event that can not only be an annual event, but will leave people talking about it for years to come.
    Calico Jack Defense

This is a privately run range on state land, and I have gotten the go ahead to shut it down for a "Private Event" on that day. So as long as I don't violate the lease with the DNR, I am running the show top to bottom. And I have family that works for the DNR, so I will be the final word on what happens. (Within reason) I am open to a great many things when it comes to firearms.

So if you have any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns, just post them here and I will get the answer out so everyone knows it. Just remember, I am pro gun, pro 2A, and in my world people come first. I want this to be an event that can not only be an annual event, but will leave people talking about it for years to come.
    Very cool - have you thought about doing any test runs of your classes? I wouldn't mind getting involved in a move and fire defensive pistol class.

I am actually putting together a "Move and Fire" pistol seminar for July. It will be a 2 day seminar, but the cost will only be about $75 per person to cover my costs. I will get you the details when I have them finalized.

As far as doing it at the fun shoot, I don't think I could get away with that as there would be several of the Special Olympics Athlete's there with their parents selling beverages and candybars and such, and I know some of them are not so pro gun.

I did however come up with a final shoot for each of the compititions that will make everyone want to shoot them. There will be some serious skill tests at this thing, I am just hoping we get the people/donations in so that we don't have to shut down one of the LASO sports this year.
    Calico Jack Defense

Very nice - I am looking forward to this event for sure. Hope there are many others that do too.

All of the supplies are either here or on their way. We all all set to set this event off.
    Calico Jack Defense

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Thumbs up Sounds interesting

I am actually putting together a "Move and Fire" pistol seminar for July. It will be a 2 day seminar, but the cost will only be about $75 per person to cover my costs. I will get you the details when I have them finalized....
    We usually spend part of July up at Star Lake CG, and if our dates coincide I would be interested in your seminar. I've shot a lot of IDPA matches so I probably have acquired some bad habits.... Please keep me in mind for this one.
    Last edited by davegran; 04-02-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I had someone suggest a contest to me for the Clay Pigeon Shooting, I like it, so I am going to do it. Here is how it goes.

1: Start with the gun loaded, laying on the bench, then we will pull the clay, and the shooter will pick up his/her shotgun and shoot.

2: Start with the gun unloaded and laying on the bench with 1 round next to it. We will pull the clay and the shooter will pick up the shotgun load, shoulder, and shoot.

3: Same as 2, but the shooter will be required to shoot from the hip.

Top shooter will get a "Best Shotgun Shooter" Trophy.

ALSO, In the event that we get a good turn out, we may do some video taping and/or have news media there. Just so everyone is aware. We can arrange to have people excluded from any video as needed.
    Last edited by CalicoJack10; 04-03-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Calico Jack Defense

I was in Minocqua for the weekend, and stayed at the AmericInn. Rates were great, my wife bought a purse from their "gift shop" area, and no one said boo about the rifle cases that I came through the back door with. I took them in the back so that I did not attract attention to the valuables in my room. While there, my wife pointed out that the "rules" for the hotel state NO FIREARMS are allowed at the hotel. I'm not sure if this is a standard document that is part of the franchise rules, but I did not ask.

I also ate at Bad Bones BBQ. Awesome food guys, really awesome! The owner commented on my shirt (Ruger) and right away said, "We support open carry!" Then I noticed the banner for the Meet and Eat.

I wont be there, but I can tell you that the food is great!

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    The owner commented on my shirt (Ruger) and right away said, "We support open carry!"

The owner is our very own Nutzack!

Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    I was in Minocqua for the weekend, and stayed at the AmericInn. Rates were great, my wife bought a purse from their "gift shop" area, and no one said boo about the rifle cases that I came through the back door with. I took them in the back so that I did not attract attention to the valuables in my room. While there, my wife pointed out that the "rules" for the hotel state NO FIREARMS are allowed at the hotel. I'm not sure if this is a standard document that is part of the franchise rules, but I did not ask.
    You are talking about the Guest Rules in the Guest Directory on page 6. The part where it says no Firearms. However, i can assure you that the hotel is Firearm Friendly. When I read this I immediately called the general manager and asked if they has changed their policy, more than anything because I just did extensive training for the staff on the new firearm policy that the GM and I wrote.

The "No Gun" policy is no longer in effect and they were not aware that this was in the guest directory, but they are contacting the printers this morning to have this re-printed without the "No Gun" rule in there. They will have those directories in the rooms until they can get the page replaced, however, this rule no longer applies. You are more than welcome to ask when you book the room if I am correct in this.

Remember if you intend to open carry, make sure that you tell them you are with Calico Jack Defense so you can get your liquor license letter.
    Calico Jack Defense

That's good news!

BTW, they offer a kick ass breakfast too! If I am back in town for just a couple days, I would definitely stay there again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast