• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Fun Weekend 4/30, the Final Chapter

CalicoJack10

OK Wisconsin, here is all the info, if I miss anything, I will fix it on edit.

Open Carry Meet and Eat

This will be at Bad Bones BBQ in downtown Minocqua on Saturday April 30th, 2011 and will run from noon to about 7 p.m. The address is listed below. Open carry is encouraged, but not required.

Fun Shoot and Fundraiser

Noon to Dusk

This is a free to everyone event. We will have drinks (Soda/Water) for sale there throughout the course of the day. The range is 100 yards and will accommodate any firearm up to 20 MM Sniper Rifles (I have shot one there). Full Autos are not OK at this event unless they are accompanied by LEOs or appropriate paperwork, and they should not exceed.223 or 9mm in caliber.

Awards will be given for first, second, and third place in the following 8 events set up on the day of the fun shoot.

Junior Rifle
Junior Pistol
Antique Military Rifle
Antique Muzzle Loader
Modern Muzzle Loader
Hunting Rifle
Carry/Duty Pistol
Precision Rifle

There is no cost to compete in any of these events and they will be set up throughout the day to allow for some shooting for fun. Appropriate targets for the contests will be supplied by us, however, you will be responsible for your own weapons and ammunition, as well as the appropriate range and safety gear you will need. All weapons and ammunition that are in questionable condition will have to be inspected prior to shooting by a gunsmith that will be on sight. Everyone on the range will have to read and sign off on a liability waiver for the sponsors, as well as the range safety brief.

We will also have several range booths set up for a shoot for fun deal in case you just want to come out and throw a few rounds down range. We will also have extra targets for sale at the event.

We will have donation buckets set up for the Lakeland Area Special Olympics, and all of the donations as well as the money from the drink and target sales will be donated to this organization. There will also be a donation bucket set up for the Vietnam Veterans of America at the registration table, and the funds from this will be donated to help with the upkeep of the range itself.

This will be a shoot at your own risk event.

For anyone desiring to stay the night you should be sure to contact the AmericInn of Minocqua and let them know you are there with Calico Jack Defense. This is so that they can give you the letter of permission to carry openly on their property being that they have a Liquor License that has not expired yet. Their info will also be listed at the bottom of the page.

Also, the plan is to have our district's state representative stop by during the event to allow for a chance to meet some of the athletes and see what we are doing. However, I am asking that the politics be kept to a minimum as he is already well aware of OC, and constitutional carry, and this event is about benefiting the Special Olympics. I should also add that this man is a decent human being and is VERY pro gun and has worked hard to make sure we have the rights we want recognized.

There will also be no age requirement for this event, butchildren must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is legally allowed to sign the waiver and range safety brief for them.

I am hoping that the only edit I will have to make is to allow for a shotgun contest, but we will see. As usual, if you have any questions, e-mail me through my site http://www.cjdefense.com/ , PM me on here, or call me on my business line listed on the web site.

Bad Bones BBQ
201 Milwaukee St.
Minocqua, WI 54548
(715) 358-0200

AmericInn of Minocqua
700 Hwy 51 North
Minocqua, WI 54548
(715) 356-3730
(Make sure you tell them you are there with Calico Jack Defense)

:dude:

Last edited:

Mlutz

I remember seeing something about a "bring your dog to lunch" thing somewhere. This event isn't it, is it?

Mlutz

Yep, just found it. It's June 25th at the same place. I might make it up to that one with bully. :-D

CalicoJack10

Thats going to be from noon till dusk, or till we have no shooters left. I will be starting one of the contests every 45 minutes depending on how long each one takes.

anmut

Thats going to be from noon till dusk, or till we have no shooters left. I will be starting one of the contests every 45 minutes depending on how long each one takes.

Now the real question, do I order that new Timney trigger or not... :) It would give me a little advantage, although in a losing situation I would only be able to blame myself then and not the hardware. Decisions decisions.

pooley

Now the real question, do I order that new Timney trigger or not... :) It would give me a little advantage, although in a losing situation I would only be able to blame myself then and not the hardware. Decisions decisions.

It's hard to beat a Timney for drop-in performance! As for your other concern, theres always that powder measure you've been fighting with that sometimes drops a 10% light charge from time to time. :D

CalicoJack10

I personally think if I make a capable firearm and I do not shoot it to it's potential, then it gives me something to work for.

That's at least 50% of what I think is fun in shooting.

anmut

It's hard to beat a Timney for drop-in performance! As for your other concern, theres always that powder measure you've been fighting with that sometimes drops a 10% light charge from time to time. :D

I use the dips for that awesome feeling of orthodox loads. Had a powder measure device, and it'll be coming with me to the private trap range this summer for it's first and final flight.

anmut

CalicoJack -

I was wondering if the range master would freak out if someone brought a slidefire stock for an AR? Completely legal - the reason I ask as I'm thinking about investing in one before the ATF finds a reason to outlaw it.

CalicoJack10

This is a privately run range on state land, and I have gotten the go ahead to shut it down for a "Private Event" on that day. So as long as I don't violate the lease with the DNR, I am running the show top to bottom. And I have family that works for the DNR, so I will be the final word on what happens. (Within reason) I am open to a great many things when it comes to firearms.

So if you have any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns, just post them here and I will get the answer out so everyone knows it. Just remember, I am pro gun, pro 2A, and in my world people come first. I want this to be an event that can not only be an annual event, but will leave people talking about it for years to come.

anmut

This is a privately run range on state land, and I have gotten the go ahead to shut it down for a "Private Event" on that day. So as long as I don't violate the lease with the DNR, I am running the show top to bottom. And I have family that works for the DNR, so I will be the final word on what happens. (Within reason) I am open to a great many things when it comes to firearms.

So if you have any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns, just post them here and I will get the answer out so everyone knows it. Just remember, I am pro gun, pro 2A, and in my world people come first. I want this to be an event that can not only be an annual event, but will leave people talking about it for years to come.

Very cool - have you thought about doing any test runs of your classes? I wouldn't mind getting involved in a move and fire defensive pistol class.

CalicoJack10

I am actually putting together a "Move and Fire" pistol seminar for July. It will be a 2 day seminar, but the cost will only be about $75 per person to cover my costs. I will get you the details when I have them finalized.

As far as doing it at the fun shoot, I don't think I could get away with that as there would be several of the Special Olympics Athlete's there with their parents selling beverages and candybars and such, and I know some of them are not so pro gun.

I did however come up with a final shoot for each of the compititions that will make everyone want to shoot them. There will be some serious skill tests at this thing, I am just hoping we get the people/donations in so that we don't have to shut down one of the LASO sports this year.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Sounds interesting

I am actually putting together a "Move and Fire" pistol seminar for July. It will be a 2 day seminar, but the cost will only be about $75 per person to cover my costs. I will get you the details when I have them finalized....
We usually spend part of July up at Star Lake CG, and if our dates coincide I would be interested in your seminar. I've shot a lot of IDPA matches so I probably have acquired some bad habits.... Please keep me in mind for this one.

Last edited: