• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant and Vehicle Carry?

detroit_fan

Hello to my Ohio OC friends, I remember reading somewhere about legislation in OH that would allow for carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and also clarify carry rules in a motor vehicle.

I was just wondering if you any of you had an update on these, and do you think they will pass and be signed in to law?

RT48

It's scheduled for a floor vote in the House tomorrow. Assuming it passes, it then it has to go to the Senate. Since an identically worded bill passed the Senate easily last session, I am hopeful it will make it to the Governor's desk. Supposedly Kasich said he would sign the bill.

When all is said and done, maybe four or five months from now we might be legal in restaurants that serve alcohol.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7715

Last edited:

Brian D.

Any update on when it's going to the house floor?

Sometime before this legislative session expires in about 21 months, hopefully! Sorry, being a little sarcastic there, it's not aimed at you. It's hard to say how long this will take, bills get to this point and sometimes the full House vote comes in a few days, sometimes it's weeks. Meanwhile of course the Senate side of the Ohio Statehouse is not quite as far along with their version of the bill.

detroit_fan

Sometime before this legislative session expires in about 21 months, hopefully! Sorry, being a little sarcastic there, it's not aimed at you. It's hard to say how long this will take, bills get to this point and sometimes the full House vote comes in a few days, sometimes it's weeks. Meanwhile of course the Senate side of the Ohio Statehouse is not quite as far along with their version of the bill.

Ok, thanks. I saw that it was 4 bills below the "black line", so I didn't know if that meant it was one of the next 4 to be addressed. I live so close to OH and I'm there all the time, so I guess I'm almost as anxious as you guys to get this passed.

SigP229

Restaurant and Vehicle Carry

The Senate version, SB 17 has passed to the House and the House had it under 1st consideration today (Friday). It is being opposed by the Ohio Restaurant Association. Those that have an interest in pro-gun bills passing should call and write to the House Reps that are either riding the fence or against the bill. Speaker Batchelder doesn't want to bring the House version to the floor because he feels that it doesn't have enough votes to pass. The House is down for two weeks, so whatever we're going to do we need to do it now when we may be able to change some votes.

Here is a letter that I wrote to House districts 07-13 (opponents). Use any parts of it that you feel appropriate, but write. I'll start phone calls to follow up on Monday.

Dear Esteemed Representatives,

I am writing this letter in regards to two pieces of legislation that are currently under consideration by the House of Representatives, specifically HB’s 45 and 54.

I reside in the Cleveland area, and like you, I see the violent crime statistics in our area. This causes me great concern. I am aware that many of you oppose these two bills for this reason. I have viewed extensive testimony voicing opposition to the bills such as that given by Ms. Hoover, Mr. Murphy and Mr. Wineman as well as blogs, articles and polls.

As a Clevelander, and concerned citizen, I have spoken with several police officers that actually support HB 45, so I believe Mr. Wineman is misrepresenting those Officers. More than one Officer has told me that the Police can’t be everywhere at once and when they get calls of shots fired, seconds count. These officers acknowledge that usually by the time they arrive on the scene, the damage is done and the perpetrator(s) are gone. The general consensus is that criminals are illegally carrying guns that have been stolen from vehicles into these establishments. (My wife was a victim of such a theft because she could not carry her weapon into a McDonald’s restaurant and we have an SUV with no trunk).

I believe them because they are in the line of fire and placing their lives on the line everyday to protect the citizens of Cleveland. For this reason, I appeal to each of you to support HB 45 and at least give honest citizens a chance to defend themselves. I’m sure that you’ve all heard the horrifying accounts of innocent people being trapped inside such establishments with no means of escape and no way to defend themselves while body counts and victim injuries mount. Theses are crimes perpetrated by criminals who are intent on violence, not by law-abiding citizens that want nothing more than to sit down and enjoy dinner with their families.

Your yes vote can help citizens level the playing field and minimize the collateral damage inflicted by these madmen. From testimony, I know that several of your colleagues are concealed carry holders and have expressed that they would feel safer knowing that they had the means to protect themselves in such an event. Additionally, your yes vote could dissuade criminals from acting out, because criminals are cowards and hesitate when they are aware that they may be hurt or killed.

A Department of Justice study revealed the following:

* 3/5 of felons polled agreed that "a criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun."

* 74% of felons polled agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."

*57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police.”

Concealed Carry holders are law-abiding citizens [and in some cases, legislators] and will always abide by the law. I believe that passing this legislation would honestly cause a decrease in violent crime throughout Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. Cleveland has roughly .33% (one-third) the population of all of Franklin County, yet this city alone leads all of Franklin County in violent crime (5,994 – 5,915). The fact that criminals consider Clevelanders “easy prey” is a primary contributor to those statistics. Let’s change this.

I ask you not only to trust your law-abiding constituents and vote yes on this bill, but to also monitor it for one year, and if it proves to have any adverse effect on society at all, to remember that you have the power to repeal it.

In regards to HB 54, again I appeal to you to support this legislation. Before the Caron v. United States and BATFE determination two years ago, Ohio Judges were quite capable of making just and informed decisions. Based upon the above United States Supreme Court decision, the BATFE determined that Ohio’s Judges were no longer capable of conducting the affairs of the State, a virtual slap in the face. This important legislation serves to restore the power of our elected officials to conduct the judiciary affairs of the State.

As one of your colleagues pointed out, a number of Law Enforcement Personnel were affected by this decision, precipitating a lawsuit by the Fraternal Order of Police against the BATFE. Even Mr. Murphy, the spokesman for the FOP supports this legislation.

In addition, Judges and Prosecutors who have determined that certain individuals who had proven themselves trustworthy enough to have their civil rights restored with the expectancy that their rulings would be honored, have suddenly discovered that they’re Orders aren’t worth the paper that they are written on.

My personal belief is that Ohio’s elected officials are quite capable of enacting State laws and running the affairs of State without relinquishing that authority to a federal agency. Ohio is a sovereign state with its own state laws, as opposed to a U.S. Territory governed by federal law.

By voting yes on HB 54, you will essentially be casting a vote for the confidence of yourselves as competent law-makers and Judges throughout the State to administer those laws.

Thank you all for your time and consideration of my request. I realize that it’s a little long; however, there is so much to be said when one is in the midst of a war zone praying that his elected officials in the General Assembly will pass laws that allow late evening walks with his family or discourage the groups that gather outside of establishments after dark determining who their next victim will be. This has to stop!

Thank You Kindly,
SigP229 (I signed my real name)

SigP229

Hello to my Ohio OC friends, I remember reading somewhere about legislation in OH that would allow for carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and also clarify carry rules in a motor vehicle.

I was just wondering if you any of you had an update on these, and do you think they will pass and be signed in to law?

Hi Detroit,
The bill is waiting for a House Vote. There's a lot of opposition to it, but we believe we have enough votes for it to pass. It will definitely pass in the Senate. Some time ago I sent out an Action Alert to gun groups to help support the bills: some responded, some didn't. BFA and OFCC have been pressuring legislators.

Here is the latest news:http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-grassroots-organization-slams-lundy. You can also read more on Buckeye Firearms node 7760.

I noticed that I don't see any threads on here concerning the legislation, but OFCC and BFA have extensive threads about the progress of the bills.

detroit_fan

Hi Detroit,
The bill is waiting for a House Vote. There's a lot of opposition to it, but we believe we have enough votes for it to pass. It will definitely pass in the Senate. Some time ago I sent out an Action Alert to gun groups to help support the bills: some responded, some didn't. BFA and OFCC have been pressuring legislators.

Here is the latest news:http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-grassroots-organization-slams-lundy. You can also read more on Buckeye Firearms node 7760.

I noticed that I don't see any threads on here concerning the legislation, but OFCC and BFA have extensive threads about the progress of the bills.

Thank you very much for the update! I'm a little surprised there is so much opposition in the house, considering republicans hold a 59-40 majority. Good luck and be sure to post in the MI forum if there is anything we can do to help support you guys.