Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot/ Lowes Policy

Home Depot/ Lowes Policy

Letter have just been sent to the CEO's of both Home Depot, and Lowes re: their corp policy. I will post any reply I receive.

I'm pretty sure Home Depot is UOC friendly.
    I've carried in the Home Depot in El Cajon many times with no problems.

Not sure about Lowes. I talked with the loss prevention guy in the Santee store and he said he would check with corporate. Never got an answer either way.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

I have carried in both, multiple times in different stores. I have 2 each with 5 miles, and both also with 25 miles.
    However, I get different opinions from different stores, and also have had members asked to leave Home Depot.

I thought it best to go to Corp and ask for their policy, before I add the to the good/anti list.

Home Depot is friendly to carry.

Lowes is friendly AFAIK. I've never had a problem there.

I just want them to state their corp policys so we know once and for all. That way, when someone has an issue with a local manager, we can say what the policy is.

Good afternoon : Thank you for your note. Our policy is that we do not prohibit anyone who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores, provided the firearms are carried in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.

I’m sorry some of the store associates your colleagues spoke with were not familiar with our position.

Steve Holmes
    Senior Manager
    Corporate Communications & External Affairs
    The Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    Good afternoon : Thank you for your note. Our policy is that we do not prohibit anyone who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores, provided the firearms are carried in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.

I’m sorry some of the store associates your colleagues spoke with were not familiar with our position.

Steve Holmes
    Senior Manager
    The Home Depot
    Great to hear this as on my vacation home I will frequently be OC'ing in HD picking up supplies for my remodel.

PDF copy of letter?

Steve Holmes
    Senior Manager
    The Home Depot
    Hey Dale,

Did you receive a hard-copy letter from Home Depot? If so, can you PDF the letter and email it to me?

I work for Lowe's. I can't wait for their response.

markm

PS: Don't UOC at Lowe's Roseville, CA. There is a school within 1,000 feet.

The Home Depot on Fairway should be well clear of any school. I don't know about the one on Sunrise.

Also, Roseville has a new police chief. He is a Sacramento PD retread. We don't know if he is 4A savvy or not.

Banned
    Go to the Michigan forums and ask for a member named Venator, he has a copy of Lowes response that allows carry according to state law.

Mark, no hard copy, just via email. If you email me at the addy below, i will forward it to you.
    Last edited by Iopencarry; 03-24-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Lowes reply, Again, good news from them, and also with a timely reply.

Dear Dale

Thank you for giving Lowe’s an opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe’s abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms.

If Lowe’s can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-900-4650 Ext. 1 or email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to 1605 Curtis Bridge Road Mail Code CON8, Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Jamie
    Lowe’s Executive Support

The 1000' GFSZ stops about 15' in front of our HD store. There is no parking inside that 15', which means I would have to LUCC to the door, remove it from the case, then lock it in the holster to carry inside

But...the Costco is well outside that same GFSZ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    The 1000' GFSZ stops about 15' in front of our HD store. There is no parking inside that 15', which means I would have to LUCC to the door, remove it from the case, then lock it in the holster to carry inside
    You all should do this as often, and as obvious as you can. Even people who dont care for guns, tend to hate stupid gun laws. The only way to change the law is to turn people against it.

What is Costco's gun policy?

Is Costco RKBA friendly?

markm

Banned
    No

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    No
    And the LEO that might get called have been proved to be very OC unfriendly.

No

No, To what?

markm

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate View Post
    No, To what?

markm
    "Is Costco RKBA Friendly?"
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

There is a thread on the Nevada page about a guy who was killed by LEO's at a Costco store in Henderson, NV. I think it's still under investigation.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Banned
    Correct, the cosco stores are not OC friendly.

Correct, the cosco stores are not OC friendly.
    I've UOC in at least two costcos. Never had an issue. One at Lakewood mall and one off katella by the race track.

Carry on

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto
    "If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Be very careful at Cosco.

Startpage - Eric Scott Cosco.

Cosco is partly responsible for what happened to him...p

Sounds like the Starbucks model of "just let us run our business" that the Brady's just love sooo much Good news on both!

Thanks for the diligence Dale!

Carry On,

Liver moron

Lowes reply, Again, good news from them, and also with a timely reply.

Dear Dale

Thank you for giving Lowe’s an opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe’s abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms.

If Lowe’s can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-900-4650 Ext. 1 or email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to 1605 Curtis Bridge Road Mail Code CON8, Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Jamie
    Lowe’s Executive Support

Welcome Jon.

So I'm digging this thread up because I had a different experience.

I'm in Louisiana and we are definitely an Open Carry state.

I was in Home Depot buying some supplies for a late night project (8pm) when a manager came up to me and asked if I was an officer. I of course said no then she asked me to put my weapon in my car. I informed her that I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed and she said that there was a sign on the door. I said I hadn't seen it. I then politely said "we are just waiting for this guy to cut this piece of lumber and then I'm walking right there to the register and checking out and leaving, is that ok?" She said "if you go put your weapon in your car it is". I said, "ok but I want to see this sign". We took a walk right where I'd need to go to check out and leave and low and behold NO sign. She said it must be on the other door. I said "I doubt it". She asked if I wanted her to print out something and I said "no I'm already at my car so whatever".

5 mins later we were done and I left.

I got home and did some googling and found this thread. I then sent an email to HD via the online form. I told them the story and that I would not be doing business until I got a personal apology from the manager that lied to me and went against their corporate policy. They replied and said I would get a call in a couple days and that they would follow up in a couple more to make sure they contacted me.

At this point the local store checked into open carry and got educated (at least something happened). They then told me what I already knew that as private property they had a right to ask me not to carry there. I explained to them that I of course knew that and that wasn't the issue. The issue was that I was lied to about this sign and that she was going AGAINST their own corporate policy. She kept telling me the private property issue and I kept trying to explain to her the same thing... it was a circle and I finally just said "so basically what you are telling me is that I am not allowed to open carry in your store" and she said that "if I am carrying they will ask me to put it in my car while I am shopping there" I said "that won't be a problem because I won't be shopping there any longer and I will be taking my business across the street (literally) to Lowes where they do respect my rights to carry in accordance with local, state and federal law" she again "apologized" and we got off the phone.

I emailed my contact back and explained what I was told and was given this statement:

Dear Mr. *****,

I thank you for your response. Your entire correspondence has been very understanding and well written.

I am very sorry that the store's response did not meet your expectations.

While I certainly understand and even personally agree with your position, I cannot take away the store's rights per private property law.

If they deem it necessary to ask you to remove the weapon from their stores, even though there is no outstanding threat, that is their right.

No policy we may have will over-rule the law of the land (I hope the context I am using in this regard is understandable).

We did speak with Lt. Marshall from your local police station who confirmed the same regarding openly carrying on private property..

Again, I sincerely apologize for this experience and thank you for your patience regarding these circumstances.

I wish you well and if there is anything more I can do, please do not hesitate to reach out me in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Brandon Johnson

So I will take my business elsewhere and I implore you to do the same.

You know the funny thing is that you have a law abiding citizen just doing his business in your store and if some maniac were to come in would do what he could to make sure no one was hurt that didn't need to be hurt and instead of welcoming him... you p!ss him off. If your concern is maniacs with guns, I don't think being a jerk is the best way to handle it. Granted, personally it just lost them money is all it did, but I'm a level headed sane fellow.

Sincerely,
    Bogus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast