• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Depot/ Lowes Policy

Livermoron

Sounds like the Starbucks model of "just let us run our business" that the Brady's just love sooo much ;) Good news on both!

Thanks for the diligence Dale!

Carry On,

Liver moron

Lowes reply, Again, good news from them, and also with a timely reply. :)

Dear Dale

Thank you for giving Lowe’s an opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe’s abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms.

If Lowe’s can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-900-4650 Ext. 1 or email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to 1605 Curtis Bridge Road Mail Code CON8, Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Jamie
Lowe’s Executive Support

Bogus

So I'm digging this thread up because I had a different experience.

I'm in Louisiana and we are definitely an Open Carry state.

I was in Home Depot buying some supplies for a late night project (8pm) when a manager came up to me and asked if I was an officer. I of course said no then she asked me to put my weapon in my car. I informed her that I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed and she said that there was a sign on the door. I said I hadn't seen it. I then politely said "we are just waiting for this guy to cut this piece of lumber and then I'm walking right there to the register and checking out and leaving, is that ok?" She said "if you go put your weapon in your car it is". :rolleyes: I said, "ok but I want to see this sign". We took a walk right where I'd need to go to check out and leave and low and behold NO sign. She said it must be on the other door. I said "I doubt it". She asked if I wanted her to print out something and I said "no I'm already at my car so whatever".

5 mins later we were done and I left.

I got home and did some googling and found this thread. I then sent an email to HD via the online form. I told them the story and that I would not be doing business until I got a personal apology from the manager that lied to me and went against their corporate policy. They replied and said I would get a call in a couple days and that they would follow up in a couple more to make sure they contacted me.

At this point the local store checked into open carry and got educated (at least something happened). They then told me what I already knew that as private property they had a right to ask me not to carry there. I explained to them that I of course knew that and that wasn't the issue. The issue was that I was lied to about this sign and that she was going AGAINST their own corporate policy. She kept telling me the private property issue and I kept trying to explain to her the same thing... it was a circle and I finally just said "so basically what you are telling me is that I am not allowed to open carry in your store" and she said that "if I am carrying they will ask me to put it in my car while I am shopping there" I said "that won't be a problem because I won't be shopping there any longer and I will be taking my business across the street (literally) to Lowes where they do respect my rights to carry in accordance with local, state and federal law" she again "apologized" and we got off the phone.

I emailed my contact back and explained what I was told and was given this statement:

Dear Mr. *****,

I thank you for your response. Your entire correspondence has been very understanding and well written.

I am very sorry that the store's response did not meet your expectations.

While I certainly understand and even personally agree with your position, I cannot take away the store's rights per private property law.

If they deem it necessary to ask you to remove the weapon from their stores, even though there is no outstanding threat, that is their right.

No policy we may have will over-rule the law of the land (I hope the context I am using in this regard is understandable).

We did speak with Lt. Marshall from your local police station who confirmed the same regarding openly carrying on private property..

Again, I sincerely apologize for this experience and thank you for your patience regarding these circumstances.

I wish you well and if there is anything more I can do, please do not hesitate to reach out me in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Brandon Johnson

So I will take my business elsewhere and I implore you to do the same.

You know the funny thing is that you have a law abiding citizen just doing his business in your store and if some maniac were to come in would do what he could to make sure no one was hurt that didn't need to be hurt and instead of welcoming him... you p!ss him off. If your concern is maniacs with guns, I don't think being a jerk is the best way to handle it. Granted, personally it just lost them money is all it did, but I'm a level headed sane fellow.

Sincerely,
Bogus

MKEgal

Since someone has already revived this thread...
Army said:
The 1000' GFSZ stops about 15' in front of our HD store. There is no parking inside that 15', which means I would have to LUCC to the door, remove it from the case, then lock it in the holster to carry inside
The Home Despot parking lot is private property.
While you're on private property, the "GF"SZ doesn't apply.
Now if you're saying that you'll have to park on the public street, that's a whole 'nuther thing.

rpyne

So I will take my business elsewhere and I implore you to do the same.

Make an even better statement by mailing the manager and corporate offices of HD a copy of the receipt every time you buy at Lowe's with a note reminding them of the sale they lost because of their policy.

Bogus

Make an even better statement by mailing the manager and corporate offices of HD a copy of the receipt every time you buy at Lowe's with a note reminding them of the sale they lost because of their policy.

I like that! Everyone should do that!