• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying handguns for transport to and from airports

randian

I've heard airports like LAX have been arresting people and confiscating handguns. Are those incidents of people who were visibly (and in my mind foolishly) carrying in the passenger compartment, or are the police preemptively searching cars that enter airport property and confiscating arms that are being lawfully transported in locked containers in the trunk of the car?

pullnshoot25

I've heard airports like LAX have been arresting people and confiscating handguns. Are those incidents of people who were visibly (and in my mind foolishly) carrying in the passenger compartment, or are the police preemptively searching cars that enter airport property and confiscating arms that are being lawfully transported in locked containers in the trunk of the car?

There is no preemptive search.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
That's good. So how are these people getting themselves arrested?

You are the one claiming people are being arrested - it's not unlawful to carry guns openly in california including at airports - if people are getting unlawfully arrested, they should be suing for damages and other relief.

randian

You are the one claiming people are being arrested - it's not unlawful to carry guns openly in california including at airports - if people are getting unlawfully arrested, they should be suing for damages and other relief.
I'm repeating handgunlaw.us's claim: "People have been arrested and guns confiscated for just having them in their vehicle upon driving on LAX property. Handgunlaw.us urges extreme caution and do watch out for signage upon entering any Airport property in California".

randian

There are preemptive check points where vehicles are searched by officers and dogs at the Sepulveda ramp. Not sure if this is what the OP is referring to where handguns or guns in general are seized.
I'm not sure either, since I was trying to alleviate my ignorance by starting this thread. I read allegations of arrests and seizures but there's no press on the matter, not that if there were any press they'd be pro-carry.

markm

You can bet the farm that if an OCer was arrested in LA it'd be on the news.

Hey All,

I have been through LAX many times. I have searched for flights for a trip to meet-up with SBOC at one of their events; and my intent was to legally transport one of my wheelguns to the meetup (SBOC event, flight schedule, and my work schedule never seem to mesh).

I have never been searched by an LA Deputy Sherrif or LAPD. Their presence at the airport has been minimal.

I have never parked a car at LAX though. I have ingressed and egressed through the front door.

My guns have traveled by commercial airlines many times, and I they will continue to do so. I feel better about transporting my guns than giving up my 4A protections to TSA gate-rapists.

markm
PS: I love it when TSA at small airports check my gun for GSR. I always remark: "You know, I was hunting and did bag some game with this gun!" Of course they find GSR--who-da-thunk!