• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-OC piece on WESH TV

Rick H

Nice little hack job.
http://www.wesh.com/politics/27267558/detail.html

Please be sure to hit the poll in the center of the page, and light up the comments section.

Perhaps you folks in the O-Town area would like to let Shoot Straight know how you feel, as well.

I for one will never go back to Shoot Straight, which was one of my best choices to go for shooting and accessories, but NEVER AGAIN.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
OrlandoMan is quite proud to dispose of his own logic process in favor of hatred...

I'd comment, but their login doesn't work.

OrlandoMan, please explain how the cowardly criminal element who 'doesn't know who has a gun and is scared due to CC' is going to become emboldened by seeing one? Please cite even one example of your mis-information and dis-logic ever happening in any of the many States across the nation that respect OC and have since long before you were CCing. Just one, please. I can't find it.

Loudmouth fear-monger anti-gun freak with a gun.

Shoot Straight didn't get much of my business to begin with, now they never will again. I called out their Only Ones attitude a long time ago.

Last edited:

77zach

I can no longer watch the mainstream media cover anything because I find it too upsetting. If I knew that most people were immune to the propaganda, then I could watch the piece, just like I can watch Triumph of the Will. Still experiencing a little bit of cognitive dissonance over this whole OC thing in Fl. I would have bet a lot of money that OC would always be illegal here. Maybe if a million people marched on the capitol or something. I would have bet that no state where it is illegal will make it legal, yet OK and TX are considering it too. But Tallahassee may very well go forward even with opposition from "our" side, such as the people from Shoot Straight. Weird. Good but weird.

rvrctyrngr

I for one will never go back to Shoot Straight, which was one of my best choices to go for shooting and accessories, but NEVER AGAIN.

OrlandoMan is quite proud to dispose of his own logic process in favor of hatred...

OrlandoMan, please explain how the cowardly criminal element who 'doesn't know who has a gun and is scared due to CC' is going to become emboldened by seeing one? Please cite even one example of your mis-information and dis-logic ever happening in any of the many States across the nation that respect OC and have since long before you were CCing. Just one, please. I can't find it.

Shoot Straight didn't get much of my business to begin with, now they never will again. I called out their Only Ones attitude a long time ago.

Make sure to let them know why they lost your business.

bushwacker

hey you mite want to search man open carrying gets robbed. there is one for ya and this is also a good example why if you open carry you need that little back up darienger on the other side, and we better be willing to use to because we don't know what they are going to do with the primary one that they just got. how embaressing killed by your gun or answering questions from cops of why someone is out there killing folks with your gun...right?

Rick H

I even think i am going to send this vid to the NRA i think the are a sponsor of Shoot Straight and see what response they give them.

77zach

hey you mite want to search man open carrying gets robbed. there is one for ya and this is also a good example why if you open carry you need that little back up darienger on the other side, and we better be willing to use to because we don't know what they are going to do with the primary one that they just got. how embaressing killed by your gun or answering questions from cops of why someone is out there killing folks with your gun...right?

Please cite this incident.

Mas49.56

I'm so afraid:eek: I need my magic 1mm thick t-shirt to make me superman. That thin cloth keeps away the big bad man. Bad man gonna jump you without it! Your full sized gun is bigger than my CC one. It makes me scared too! Come spend money in my store.:banghead:

77zach

Send this Swine a Letter

http://www.seminolesheriff.org/en-us/about/message_from_the_sheriff.php

Here is mine:

Dear Mr Eslinger,

I saw you speaking out against the peoples' basic right of self defense in the criminal justice committee meeting. Some people want to know if you are doing this with your own money, or if you are using tax dollars to drive back and forth to Tallahassee. Your disdain for the rights of peaceful people is noted and will not be forgotten. Almost all states allow open carry and half of them say it is a God given right, not a privilege, and so do not even require a permit. We're sorry if our rights may inconvenience you and your deputies, but have you even considered to ask sheriffs in other states if open carry is a real problem for them? I don't think you have. I think you need to serve the people who pay your salary and stop disrespecting them.

Sincerely,

77zach

Shoot Straight Responds

Regarding the email you sent about open carry, I hear your frustration and for that I am truly sorry. I would never do anything to knowingly hurt the cause of gun ownership. Let me start by saying that Shoot Straight has always been an avid supporter of the second amendment, and the views I expressed were my own and not those of Shoot Straight.

While I totally support our second amendment rights, I do have concerns of my own on the open carry policy. The one thing I do want to clarify is that my views are totally independent of the views of Shoot Straight and I should never have presented my opinions as those of Shoot Straight.

Your passion drove you to write to us, and it’s that passion that keeps the NRA strong and I thank you for it. I hope that my opinion doesn’t reflect on Shoot Straight and all the good that they have done for the shooting industry. I tried to do what I believed was right for the industry, and if you don’t agree with my reasoning, I am at fault and not Shoot Straight. Shoot Straight is obviously a proponent of the second amendment, and was the NRA’s top independent recruiter in 2010. They signed up close to 5,000 new members and I hope that they are all as passionate about preserving our rights as you are.

I welcome your feedback and hope that you can forgive me.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I received the same message, and replied, I received another response just moments ago stating that he has changed his mind because the arguments for OC make sense.

Could be lip service. Could be real. I can see he is trying very hard to make sure no one thinks he is a spokesman for the company... Methinks a new job may be hard to find.

I'm not planning to post the exact message without asking permission. I realize that messages sent to me are my property, but I like to respect privacy. If he doesn't object to my request, I will post the response.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Permission granted.

Charles O'Meara said:
Regarding the email you sent about open carry, I hear your frustration and for that I am truly sorry. I would never do anything to knowingly hurt the cause of gun ownership. Let me start by saying that Shoot Straight has always been an avid supporter of the second amendment, and the views I expressed were my own and not those of Shoot Straight.

While I totally support our second amendment rights, I do have concerns of my own on the open carry policy. The one thing I do want to clarify is that my views are totally independent of the views of Shoot Straight and I should never have presented my opinions as those of Shoot Straight.

Your passion drove you to write to us, and it’s that passion that keeps the NRA strong and I thank you for it. I hope that my opinion doesn’t reflect on Shoot Straight and all the good that they have done for the shooting industry. I tried to do what I believed was right for the industry, and if you don’t agree with my reasoning, I am at fault and not Shoot Straight. Shoot Straight is obviously a proponent of the second amendment, and was the NRA’s top independent recruiter in 2010. They signed up close to 5,000 new members and I hope that they are all as passionate about preserving our rights as you are.

I welcome your feedback and hope that you can forgive me.

Me said:
I find a lot of gun Owners, especially Concealed Carriers from Florida talk first and think later when it comes to Open Carrry. I'm guilty of this myself. I used to Conceal Carry. But 4 experiences in which I needed to draw, and one in which I pointed my weapon at someone, changed my mind.

I realized that "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" applies to Carrying of a Firearm in the same way it applies to everything else. I realized that 'feeling' safe is not the same as being safe.

Concealed Carry, as such, cannot prevent crimes. One is forced to wait until a crime is already in process, then try to knock it back. Open Carry is about not letting it get that far.

Most Conceal Carriers don't think it through. As I said, I was one of them and learned the hard way. It's difficult and slow to draw from deep cover. When the bad guy has the element of surprise, as they always do, a Concealed Gun is something you simply can't get to. Bad Guys aren't stupid. Even with a wallet holster, they know not to let you reach into your own pockets. It's too late.

Open Carry prevents it from ever getting to that point. The argument that the OCer will be the first to be taken out flies in the face of logic. Concealed Carriers know that Criminals don't want Armed Targets. Then try to claim that "If they don't know who has a gun, then they choose a different line of work." Not knowing never prevented a criminal from doing anything. How much prevention would there be if they actually knew for a fact that 5 people in the store had a gun, because they could see it?

Yes, crime has gone down a little. But statistically, it is attributable to other changes. If you still look like a soft target, then the situation will escalate until you appear to NOT be a soft target; draw. If the firearm is Openly Carried, it doesn't come to that. You never look like a soft target. Nobody has to draw, nobody has to point, nobody has to fire. A gun in a holster is a far cry better than a gun with 3 rounds fired and the associated costs.

Please cite for me even one incident of an Open Carrier being singled-out and attacked first. Just one. It defies your own logic. If Criminals are cowards looking for a soft target, why would they then choose the hardest target in the room? We both know it doesn't make sense. It also doesn't happen. I fell for it myself. Propaganda is subtle and powerful.

The key is often "When I pulled out my gun, he changed his mind!" Will you get that chance drawing from cover? The only element of surprise a Concealed Carrier will get is when s/he realizes the joke is on him/her. The bad guy always has the element of surprise, not you. Besides, what good is the element of surprise to a defensive position? Surprise is an offensive concept, and only useful to the ambusher. It may make you 'feel' safe, but 'feel-good gun laws' are for Democrats.

Lets not even discuss "Concealed Carry Purses." They are called "purse snatchers" for a reason...

I don't expect to change your opinion. But these facts will grow as splinters in your mind. Open Carry is about prevention. Concealed Carry is about waiting until it's too late. Concealed Carry is better than nothing, but nothing is all it is better than. I let my permit expire due to the degree of uselessness in practical, real-world scenarios. The only 'surprise' a Concealed Carrier has, is the realization that a gun that can't be seen and can't be reached is not helpful. Why let it get that far?

I have not covered many other details of the positive differences that Open carry has over Concealed Carry. I don't take you for an idiot. Just someone who, like me, fell for the long standing attitude of being an Only One that exists in Florida. Florida invented Concealed Carry Permits. The feeling of being 'special' in the eyes of the State has been here longer than anywhere else. We have no Right to Carry, we have a Privilege to Carry. I hope, someday, for this to be changed as well.

I look forward to any constructive response or conversation you may have to offer.

Charles O'Meara said:
Thank you for taking the time so send out such a detailed and well thought out reply. I read your comments, did some research and talked to some friends whose opinions I value. As a result of my findings, I must disagree with you on one issue. Re: I don't expect to change your opinion. Well, you have. I must agree that [t]here are definitely times when having an open carry law makes sense.

Thanks again for showing your American gun owner’s passion in such an organized and professional manner. You are very persuasive.

Me said:
I'd like your permission to post these responses in the forums where the original article was propagated, and advocacy for boycotting Shoot Straight has begun. Hopefully, doing so may undo what has been done.

Charles O'Meara said:
That would be very nice. Thank you VERY MUCH for offering to do so.

This went well... It could be honest, it could be stroking. But it is in writing either way.

Last edited:

77zach

Here is my reply

"Apology accepted. As a supporter of the right to bear arms, I think next time you could say "While I would not practice open carry, it's outrageous that this ancient and fundamental right is not recognized in Florida. Most states don't even require a permit to do it."

As an aside, I have come to disagree with most self defense experts regarding open carry. The more I consider it, conceal carry makes less and less sense. I now believe open carry should be preferred in most situations and that behind the criticism sometimes lies a fear of doing something socially unconventional. Further, open carry has undoubtedly enhanced gun rights in other states by norming them into society.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Thanks for your reply."

Badger Johnson

It's easy to see why some people are of two minds about open-carry.

I hear stories of people acting badly at the gun range, we hear of people shooting themselves in outlet parking lots trying on holsters and it gives you pause.

There was at least one woman in my gun safety class whom I said to my partner - 'no way this woman should have a HG' and she agreed.

IMO this response by the interviewee is a pretty good and honest reply and I think one could still patronize the store given this new information.

$.02

Kingfish

Awesome writeup Ixtow...Absolutly awesome.

I do disagree that there are no "Concealed Carry Purses" that work. I use one myself (Maxpedition Versipack Jumbo) when the rare time comes that I have to CC (once or twice a month.) I have secured the buckle with 550 cord and use the belt anchor. Very very little chance it is getting snatched.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I have received an addition message, without solicitation. It seems Charles is honestly concerned.

Charles O'Meara said:
My employer, Shoot Straight, has been the staunchest of gun advocates since the company was started. We raise and donate tens of thousands of dollars each year to insure the freedom of the second amendment. I would hate to think that lifetime of service could be undone by a ten second interview that was not their viewpoint. I told you that after a little education from you, it helped me to realign my thinking on the subject, and for that I thank you.

But shouldn’t all gun advocates be working to do educate others on open carry? I received some pretty scathing letters complete with name calling, but I know why they were upset and I respect their passion. My father was a decorated, combat-wounded veteran and NRA life member, and he taught me to run to a problem and not away from it. So I am running to it and asking you and everyone else that feels so strongly about open carry to take time to educate others that may not have heard all of the facts. When properly presented it can be a very compelling argument. Though I do recognize that there are anti-gun people out there, and no matter how much sense we make of it they still won’t support the right to bear arms, concealed or not. But that doesn’t mean we will stop trying.

Thanks again for the positive tone of your response. And thank you for helping to not vilify Shoot Straight for my comments.

Me said:
I'm considered passionate to the point of being a 'troll' on Internet forums. But I'm not unbalanced or unable to have a civil conversation. I make it a rule to respond in turn and most people aren't civil. I'm glad that you have been far more civilized than most of the people on 'the Internet.' Name-calling isn't productive, I agree. Too often the keyboard barrier encourages people to act like an ass when they normally wouldn't behave that way. I try to mirror it to show the failure that it is. Most never catch on...

I'll post this follow up as well. I understand your desire to separate your commentary from any representation of Shoot Straight. Could be unpleasant in a number of ways.

I think OC is up against an unusual element in Florida, which really sets off those who are passionate. Not only is it a Right Denied, our supposed compatriots are drunk on 'only ones' sensations. A house thus divided will fall. It's double difficult, and double infuriating. I'd like to apologize on behalf of my brothers, who probably don't realize that extra restraint is needed when getting poked twice like that. Even the NRA has not yet taken a direct, favorable stance on Open Carry. It can be very frustrating.

Anything that shows the "Internet People" that good things come from not flying off the handle is helpful to all of us.

I'm sure to catch all kinds of hell for my choice of firearm. Haters gonna hate... :p

I currently OC My 30rd AK magazine. It'll be in my AMD-65 should this bill pass. Not because I want to make a scene. But because my little 1911 mag often went unnoticed. Hard to have conversations about things that nobody notices.... So you've proven that most people wander about in condition white. How is that helpful?

Is anyone else doing something to spread the word? As usual, the talkers mock the doers for making them feel inadequate.

Last edited: