• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way Public Health Center

Johnsmith1521

I got to take my daughter to WIC tomorrow and the last time I was there, there was a sign that said no weapons allowed... I was under the impression that I could carry in there Open or concealed... Correct me if I'm wrong and info would help... Oh and the sign did have the RCW code on there...

deanf

If the Federal Way Police will not enforce a fire department's administrative ban on guns, I don't see why they would enforce another agency's administrative ban.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

I'm pretty sure I've see this sign on all King County public health offices. It says something like "No weapons allowed, except what is permitted by law"

Johnsmith1521

I've looked over all the RCW's... and the closes answer I got was this..."The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the DSHS for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for for the care of the mentally ill, EXCLUDING THOSE FACILITIES SOLELY FOR EVALUATION AND TREATMENT. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public."

I'm just going there for a check up for my daughter... doesn't the state preemption come in to account for those "signs" that are up?

joeroket

I've looked over all the RCW's... and the closes answer I got was this..."The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the DSHS for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for for the care of the mentally ill, EXCLUDING THOSE FACILITIES SOLELY FOR EVALUATION AND TREATMENT. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public."

I'm just going there for a check up for my daughter... doesn't the state preemption come in to account for those "signs" that are up?

Yes they would. WIC is hardly a place that would be considered a prohibited place.

Johnsmith1521

I guess I could call but I'm sure I'll get the "It's state laws crap" I'm going to take a pic of the sign, it has the RCW 9.41.300...

Johnsmith1521

So that sign up there is to confuse people then? I emailed them and I'm still waiting for a response from them... So am I wrong to say that I can go into WIC with my firearm?

joeroket

So that sign up there is to confuse people then? I emailed them and I'm still waiting for a response from them... So am I wrong to say that I can go into WIC with my firearm?

Can't say for sure why the sign is there. Might be the manager of that office thinks he can restrict firearms on his own.

You are wrong to say that. You can go into a WIC office with your firearm. There is no RCW or WAC, that I can find, that would allow them to restrict firearms.

Johnsmith1521

Can't say for sure why the sign is there. Might be the manager of that office thinks he can restrict firearms on his own.

You are wrong to say that. You can go into a WIC office with your firearm. There is no RCW or WAC, that I can find, that would allow them to restrict firearms.

I've looked for all the laws that I could and only thing I could find was if WIC was a mental hospital or something. Well I'm going there today with my little one, she has to get a couple of shots... poor girl... thanks for all the help!

Aaron1124

If this building is a part of the King County Public Health Department, then I have indeed seen these signs. It states something along the lines of "No weapons allowed, except for what is authorized by law" with a picture of a gun in a circle, with a slash going through it. It's just a deceiving sign. It also quotes an RCW that is in regards to the unlawful "carry" or "display" of weapons.

Last edited:

amzbrady

I would think the thing to find out is if the building itself is a state building or private property leased to WIC. If it is state building I would think your good to go open carry, if it is private property then they can mandate what they want, you would need to be concealed and hope they dont realize it was you that fired off the email bringing attention to yourself.

deanf

The WAC's do not authorize the restriction of firearms in a WIC office.

The WACs don't authorize anything.

WACs are the means by which various state agencies publish their administrative rules. The authority to make those rules comes from the RCW which creates the agency in question.

Know your state government and how it operates.

joeroket

The WACs don't authorize anything.

WACs are the means by which various state agencies publish their administrative rules. The authority to make those rules comes from the RCW which creates the agency in question.

Know your state government and how it operates.

Ya freakin think? You are not the only one that knows the operation and function of a government. So far you have posted nothing that gives substance to this discussion. Please do so in the future.

The point of my post, if you related it to the other posts in the thread, is that the manager of an office cannot restrict something. They must abide by the administrative rules in place. Therefore the WAC does not authorize them, read as office managers, to restrict firearms from the premises.

Johnsmith1521

View attachment 5516 So this is the sign... Notice the "Except as allowed by law" I also got an email for DOH and they said that it's a county building not a state... So the way I look at it, you can carry a firearm in WIC... Here's the email, you be the judge...

Mr. Jones,

I received your below emailed questions.

“I notice that there was a sign that said no weapons (guns) at the Federal way location. My question is why? Isn’t the building a state ran building? Which means, a law abiding citizen could walk in with their legally owned firearm, because the state preempts when it comes to gun laws.”

The Federal Way WIC (Women Infants and Children) clinic is not a state building. The Seattle King County Public Health operates the Federal Way WIC clinic. I have provided a link to their website for your review. http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/locations/federalway.aspx

I work for the Washington State Department of Health. Our policy on weapons states “Employees shall not possess any dangerous weapon while in department buildings, on any department campus or grounds, while in a state vehicle, or anywhere while conducting state business. Possessing a concealed pistol permit shall not excuse an employee from complying with this provision. This prohibition does not include tools or utensils used by the employee in the normal course of their duties.”

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Carol Wozniak
Washington State Department of Health
Community and Family Health Division
Integrity Unit Manager
360-236-3638

Deleted_User

View attachment 5516 So this is the sign... Notice the "Except as allowed by law" I also got an email for DOH and they said that it's a county building not a state... So the way I look at it, you can carry a firearm in WIC... Here's the email, you be the judge...

Mr. Jones,

“I notice that there was a sign that said no weapons (guns) at the Federal way location. My question is why? Isn’t the building a state ran building? Which means, a law abiding citizen could walk in with their legally owned firearm, because the state preempts when it comes to gun laws.”

The Federal Way WIC (Women Infants and Children) clinic is not a state building. The Seattle King County Public Health operates the Federal Way WIC clinic. I have provided a link to their website for your review. http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/locations/federalway.aspx

I work for the Washington State Department of Health. Our policy on weapons states “Employees shall not possess any dangerous weapon while in department buildings, on any department campus or grounds, while in a state vehicle, or anywhere while conducting state business. Possessing a concealed pistol permit shall not excuse an employee from complying with this provision. This prohibition does not include tools or utensils used by the employee in the normal course of their duties.”

Sincerely,

Carol Wozniak
Integrity Unit Manager
360-236-3638

So that basically says carry on :) Good!

Aaron1124

Mr. Jones,

Sincerely,

Carol Wozniak
Integrity Unit Manager
360-236-3638

She's telling you their employee policy. It has nothing to do with you.