• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2792 passes, please contact Senator Prozanski and Senator Courtney Now!

therealcombat

Awesome! I live right on the border, so I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this bill. What's the effective date if it passes?

I currently boycott Oregon entirely since they restrict my right to CC, and OC lacks preemption without CPL. Seriously, i stay away from OR if at all possible.

Would be nice to be able to make OR part of my road trip this summer. :)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
OFF ALERT

HB 2792, a bill to recognize other states' concealed handgun permits, passed the Oregon House on a 40 to 17 vote.

This in spite of this brilliantly researched opposition letter from Cease Fire Oregon. It never stops amazing us how little CFO knows about gun laws regardless of their efforts to end gun rights in Oregon.

No matter. The bill passed by a wide margin with a few unexpected supporters, some who voted against CHL privacy voted in favor of this bill.

Perhaps they saw the light, more likely they were looking for a "pro-gun" vote on a bill they assumed would never pass the Senate. Given the recent declaration on the part of the Senate Judiciary Chair that CHL privacy would not get a hearing there, it's very likely that the assumption is this bill is even less likely to move in that house. But, we have a long way to go and nothing is determined yet.

We still need you to do all you can to make sure your Senator is supporting HB 2787, and now we need to let them know we want their support on HB 2792.

Keep in mind, 2792 not only opens our state to law abiding visitors, it expands the places Oregonians with CHL's can travel with their self defense tools.

Please contact Floyd Prozanski and let him know that you want to have hearings on HB 2792 in his Senate Judiciary Committee as soon as it is assigned there. There will no doubt be the usual hysteria from the handful of anti-gun zealots still left in the Senate, but legislators and voters deserve a vote on this bill.

Sample message and contact info follow:

Chairman Floyd Prozanski. sen.floydprozanski@state.or.us

Senator Floyd Prozanski
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1704
District Phone: 541-342-2447
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-417, Salem, OR, 97301

Dear Chair Prozanski,

HB 2792 passed on the House floor by a wide margin. As with HB 2787, this is a bill that is important to me as a person who cherishes liberty and privacy. Please hold hearings on both these bill and allow legislators to take a stand on gun rights in Oregon.

Yours,

Kingfish

This would be great. The wife really wants to visit Oregon but I am reluctant without being able to carry in some of the cities she wants to go to.

Window_Seat

Bringing this back up because there is activity on this today:

HB-2792

• H.gif
    Mar 21, 2011: Third reading. Carried by Krieger. Passed.
  • H.gif
    Mar 22, 2011: Vote explanation(s) filed by Smith J.
  • S.gif
    Mar 23, 2011: First reading. Referred to President's desk.
  • S.gif
    Mar 25, 2011: Referred to Judiciary.
  • S.gif
    Apr 28, 2011: Public Hearing held.

• S.gif
    May 3, 2011: Public Hearing Scheduled.
Keep the calls coming into the Senate!

ETA:

The audio is here, and they are hearing on HB-2787 right now (The bill that prohibits the release of names of CHL holders to publications).

Erik.

Last edited:

eddallen1958

I just called today to check on getting a CWL license in Oregon. They told me about this bill and said it is expected to go through the Senate in June. So now I will wait since I already have a Idaho CWL. It sounded like this bill is expected to pass.

BobF

I just called today to check on getting a CWL license in Oregon. They told me about this bill and said it is expected to go through the Senate in June. So now I will wait since I already have a Idaho CWL. It sounded like this bill is expected to pass.

I hope it does pass and the Gov. signs it. If he does how long afterwards is it effective? Bob.

eddallen1958

I spoke with Kim Smith who is the one that issues CWL's for Malheur County. She just said that it is expected to pass in June. She made it sound like it would be effective right away.

BobF

I spoke with Kim Smith who is the one that issues CWL's for Malheur County. She just said that it is expected to pass in June. She made it sound like it would be effective right away.

Hi. Thanks. Sounds good! I hope someone can confirm this as 00% fact. Regards, Bob.

xxx.jakk.xxx

This is pretty awesome. I'm a Washingtonian from Oregon and I haven't gotten to go back down there since I got my gun. Now, hopefully, there will be nothing stopping me from taking road trips further south than Vancouver.

Just to clear this up, though. This will allow my Washington CPL to be good enough to carry concealed in Oregon. Will this also preempt any city ordinances and allow me to OC and CC anywhere in the state where it is legal for a resident to OC and CC? I want to make sure that I understand this correctly before going on a trip/

district9

This would be awesome! Please keep us updated on this.

Gunslinger

I've never considered OR to be a gun friendly state, due in large part to your moronic reciprocity laws. This would go a long way towards changing my mind. If it can be done in the Oregon of the Midwest, Iowa, you can do it too. Good luck. (BTW, in case you're wondering, the Kalifornia of the Midwest is, of course, the PDR of IL.)