• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help about open carry in central California :)

Monterey831

Hello my new open carry friends lol I need to know if I can open carry in California malls I have asked local police but they ain't so happy that I want to open carry :(, i haven't open carry yet , I'm trying to find out info first. I want to open carry in salinas ca it's on Monterey county the most dangerous county's in California theirs always gang shootings here that's why I want to open carry for my protection but I don't want to get introuble by this rude local happy trigger police officers thanks. Goodbless

hgreen

Why ask the police for permission to do something perfectly legal?

Know your rights, know the law, and if you have any fear that there will be police misconduct, bring a friend who is not OCing and always always carry recording deviceS.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Why ask the police for permission to do something perfectly legal?

Know your rights, know the law, and if you have any fear that there will be police misconduct, bring a friend who is not OCing and always always carry recording deviceS.

You really should search/research before you ask these questions (there are much better answers in already existent threads than you're likely to get here).

But, the main things you're going to want to watch out for are:

1. Being loaded in incorporated areas, or areas which prohibit discharge. Unloaded is defined as no ammunition in or attached to the weapon.

2. Bringing an unlocked and/or loaded handgun into a school zone (1000') without a permit, which is a felony.

Don't do either of those things!

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hello my new open carry friends lol I need to know if I can open carry in California malls I have asked local police but they ain't so happy that I want to open carry :(, i haven't open carry yet , I'm trying to find out info first. I want to open carry in salinas ca it's on Monterey county the most dangerous county's in California theirs always gang shootings here that's why I want to open carry for my protection but I don't want to get introuble by this rude local happy trigger police officers thanks. Goodbless

The police do not get to choose how you conduct your legal affairs and should not be consulted for their opinion on such. Their purpose is to investigate crime and apprehend criminals. If you are seeking legal advice, you will need to contact an attorney.
If you are going to carry in malls, be forewarned that they are still private property and may ask you to leave. Do not call them in advance asking what their policies are, because if they dont already have one in place, they may consider it after you ask. This applies to pretty much any private property venue.
Please take the time to click the link in my signature line and read the information available there- many of the questions you have may already be answered there.

Welcome to the board.

MountainMike

Hello, I too live in Salinas. First, malls; like any other business, are private property. They can ask you to leave the premises but it is no illegal to carry there. Regarding the Northridge Mall they do not expressly allow UOC, but they also do not have any signs posted saying so. As far as school zones are concerned Salinas is a minefield. You're fine at Northridge, Harden Ranch, Westridge, and Old Town. But you'll want to be very careful elsewhere. I've UOC'd at both Walmarts, Bestbuy, Khols, and the Northridge theatre without incident.

Disclamer: I am not a Lawyer, nothing said can be taken as legal advice. UOC at your own risk.

incvoid

Yup, the schools are the map ya really need to "avoid".
I need to figure out how to get google to map out 1000' "bubbles" around campus-es.

I often thought about uoc'ing at the mall in stockton during midnight releases of games(being midnight and all), but it is right across the street from a college.

I could use the walking wheels to measure feet but it feels, going out of my way to carry there.

MountainMike

Yup, the schools are the map ya really need to "avoid".
I need to figure out how to get google to map out 1000' "bubbles" around campus-es.

I often thought about uoc'ing at the mall in stockton during midnight releases of games(being midnight and all), but it is right across the street from a college.

I could use the walking wheels to measure feet but it feels, going out of my way to carry there.
Colleges are not listed in the GFSZA. They are seperate inwhich you cannot carry on campus property w/o written permission.

Again, not a lawyer. UOC at your own risk.

incvoid

gfsz

I've heard 1000 ft.
but I'm seeing (B) Within 1,500 feet of a school, as designated by the school
district....nope thats safe school zone.

I see the gfsz is 1000 ft. no time "exemptions" either, 24 hours around the clock 1000ft is 1000ft. Nothing about an hour before or after etc.

Monterey831

Thank you alot guys! :D

Thank you alot for your replys and help. I know the basic about open carry in ca. I know I have to be 1000 ft from a school but those this mean I have to be 1000 ft away from hartnell college? Or any college at all?. Or what about a childcare facility? I know I can go in to government buildings or post officer , police departments ect, but does it mean I have to be 1000 feet away??? and about the recording device I head people say when I record a police officer that I have to let them know I'm recording?.Thank you for your help again :)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Thank you alot for your replys and help. I know the basic about open carry in ca. I know I have to be 1000 ft from a school but [does] this mean I have to be 1000 ft away from hartnell college? Or any college at all?. Or what about a childcare facility? I know I [can't] go in to government buildings or post officer , police departments ect, but does it mean I have to be 1000 feet away??? and about the recording device I [heard] people say when I record a police officer that I have to let them know I'm recording?.Thank you for your help again :)

I know I have to be 1000 ft from a school but [does] this mean I have to be 1000 ft away from hartnell college? Or any college at all?. 626.9 applies to K-12 schools Not colleges or trade schools or driving schools or dance studios.
Or what about a childcare facility? Daycares are not schools.
I know I [can't] go in to government buildings or post [office] , police departments ect, but does it mean I have to be 1000 feet away? 171b applies to buildings, not areas around buildings. There is no distance prohibition.
I [heard] people say when I record a police officer that I have to let them know I'm recording? The police do not have any expectation of privacy while they are conducting their duties. Whether you tell them or not is up to you.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Last edited:

scott26

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research. No need to get arrested for not doing your homework. Also be ready to hire an attorney.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk