Thread: Beauty Queen kills home invader

Beauty Queen kills home invader

I'm surprised y'all missed this one:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...e-home/1158689

Only thing for me is, open your door at 3AM?

Mike

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Her fiancee said she wasn't a good shot - apparently good enough.

No question though that they need some schooling in home security.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Good job Planthaber for diving in to help his fiancee, and good job Brown for stopping the attack with appropriate force.

Now...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Her fiancee said she wasn't a good shot - apparently good enough.

No question though that they need some schooling in home security.
    Agreed 10000%. According to the article, they were used to friends/acquaintances coming at all hours, and naively expected the knock to be a friend, but I suspect that may change now (hopefully so).

If someone knocks at MY door at 3AM, and it's not obviously LE (cruiser with lights flashing, uniformed officer, etc.) you'd better believe I'll have my 1911 in hand, and my wife will have the phone in hers. And that door isn't gonna open - any conversation will be through a closed and locked door.

And of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    State records show Hill had been in and out of prison since 1986 for burglary, grand theft, selling cocaine and other crimes. Hill was last arrested in Pinellas County in February for disorderly intoxication.
    Hill's girlfriend, Arielle Hope, said after the shooting that he was changing his life.
    "It's a shame everything went down the way it did," Hope said. "Al's future was bright and everything was looking up for him and me and our life together."
    Yeah, he was changing his life... right after one last assault/burglary/rape/whatever!

Sorta OT, but isn't it strange that, after someone is killed while committing a serious crime, there is always a family member, fiancee, friend, whatever, saying that the deceased was "turning their life around" and "his future was looking bright"?

In reading the article, I noticed several glaring mistakes the beauty queen and her fiance made. He brags about her $60,000 engagement ring, they try to pay for pizza with $100 bills(!!), and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age. They made themselves into targets and it was just a matter of time before someone took a stab at them.

FWIW, they are more of a target after the publication of this story than they were before. Were I in their shoes, I would seriously consider moving.

And I fully agree with 4angrybadgers; do not knock on my door after nine at night or before nine in the morning unless you want to be rather rudely greeted.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    And I fully agree with 4angrybadgers; do not knock on my door after nine at night or before nine in the morning unless you want to be rather rudely greeted.
    I will take two giant steps beyond that line. Do not come to my door unless you have legal reason to be there or are an invitee. My home is my castle and the draw bridge is up!

Occasionally have door to door solicitors who are advised as to their being unwelcome, but also report to local LEA and see them routinely detained, frequently being presented new wrist jewelry.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

[snip]

In reading the article, I noticed several glaring mistakes the beauty queen and her fiance made. He brags about her $60,000 engagement ring, they try to pay for pizza with $100 bills(!!), and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age. They made themselves into targets and it was just a matter of time before someone took a stab at them.

[snip]
    The way I read this, along with the camera surveillance etc. was that these people have a "side job" that's cash-intensive. My .02.
    Last edited by FTG-05; 03-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired
    and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age.
    Acknowledging that you said that those factors "combined" were grossly stupid, don't take my comment as being adversarial. I'm a 2nd shift worker, as are the majority of my social circle. It is not unusual for me or my roommates to have visitors at 3am. I'm sure that's true for many folk who aren't stupid.
    "I never learned anything from a man who agreed with me." - Robert A. Heinlein

Founder's Club Member
    Yes, I missed it. And, lacking a "fair use" quote, I'm wishing I had missed this thread.

C'mon guys. Give us a little sprinkling of info so we can decide if we are really all that interested in following the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Yes, I missed it. And, lacking a "fair use" quote, I'm wishing I had missed this thread.

C'mon guys. Give us a little sprinkling of info so we can decide if we are really all that interested in following the link.
    Am always willing to help.

Try this or this ...

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Am always willing to help.

Try this or this ...
    (sigh)

Now she want's to "cash in" on her new found fame.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22...sion-shooting/

Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    Where we live we have strange people show up at home(and at work) for stranger reasons. On that topic one of my co-workers keeps telling me I should get this doormat.

PLEASE supply us with a link to the vendor of these door mats... This one would be a great replacement for my current mat...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by sst0185 View Post
    Now she want's to "cash in" on her new found fame.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22...sion-shooting/

She's a model. Her image IS her product, and she just wants to be rightfully reimbursed for the use of her "product".

I have no issue with her expecting to be paid for the use of her image by a media outlet. ESPECIALLY since they used it on the "cover" of their website. And considering the propagandistic headline they used ("cashing in on killing"), I think she might have a relatively solid case for slander and libel too...

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03...11-news-front/
    Last edited by Dreamer; 03-24-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.

Thumbs up

"If looks could kill..." Good for her for having a gun in the house, this situation could have gone wrong on so many levels had she not had a gun.

Headline should read: "Fatty killed by Pretty Pink Pistol".

Benton21
    I am agree with you weapon is a basic need for the self defense.
    If she had not Then the news may be different. She is lucky that she had.

Here is the photo of her with said Revolver. Not a bad looking woman.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03...uty-queen-1-3/

Sorta OT, but isn't it strange that, after someone is killed while committing a serious crime, there is always a family member, fiancee, friend, whatever, saying that the deceased was "turning their life around" and "his future was looking bright"?
    The exact quote from the first article is kind of funny:

"Hill's girlfriend, Arielle Hope, said after the shooting that he was changing his life."

Hmmm, I'd say after the shooting, his life was changed. Do they pay these writers?

"After the March 12 home invasion and shooting, which the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said Sunday is still under investigation, neighbors weren't surprised by the location."

Robber. Break-in. Home defended, robber dead.

End of report.

Why is it "still under investigation?" Is it because they can't figure out why Bella the cockatoo says "hello?"
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by RooksGambit View Post
    I'm a 2nd shift worker, as are the majority of my social circle. It is not unusual for me or my roommates to have visitors at 3am. I'm sure that's true for many folk who aren't stupid.
    Agreed, and some weird things go on after midnight.

On the other hand, I still don't open my door until I've looked through the peephole and made a non-stupid decision whether or not to open the door.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by abechira View Post
    Here is the photo of her with said Revolver. Not a bad looking woman.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03...uty-queen-1-3/
    She needs to work on her grip.

Sounds like alot of victim raping. The bottom line is this guy barged in their home and was dealt with. Regardless of what most here are saying I say bravo to the young lady for handling her business. The rest of you can continue your whining about what they did wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    Sounds like alot of victim raping. The bottom line is this guy barged in their home and was dealt with. Regardless of what most here are saying I say bravo to the young lady for handling her business. The rest of you can continue your whining about what they did wrong
    this
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Activist Member
    I personally think demanding $1,500 for a photo of her posing with a firearm is kind of well........(Beeeep) I know these brainless beauty queens who do nothing half the time besides just tanning and laying around get paid for photo taking but cashing in on photo's like these just after she shot somebody is a bit "Daddy's little Girl" like to
    me.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

She posed for a sexy photo, with her gun, after she shot and killed someone?!? Seems a little cold, don't ya think? The POS probably deserved it, but still, it's a human life. I think if I had to shoot someone to save my life, I doubt that I could be very calm in the aftermath then try to make money off of it. That is a life changing event for the shooter as well and will stay with them the rest of their life. I am glad she and her fiance are okay, but to try to make money off of it seems cavalier to me. Which brings me to another question. Why does she still have her gun if the shooting is still being investigated? In most cases the shooter loses the gun temporarily while the investigation is ongoing.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mousegurl View Post
    She needs to work on her grip.
    Howdy Mousegurl!
    Considering that she managed to defend her home and boyfriend, I'd say she had her grip on the situation, as well as the gun, just right!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin