• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beauty Queen kills home invader

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Her fiancee said she wasn't a good shot - apparently good enough.

No question though that they need some schooling in home security.

4angrybadgers

Good job Planthaber for diving in to help his fiancee, and good job Brown for stopping the attack with appropriate force.

Now...

Her fiancee said she wasn't a good shot - apparently good enough.

No question though that they need some schooling in home security.
Agreed 10000%. According to the article, they were used to friends/acquaintances coming at all hours, and naively expected the knock to be a friend, but I suspect that may change now (hopefully so).

If someone knocks at MY door at 3AM, and it's not obviously LE (cruiser with lights flashing, uniformed officer, etc.) you'd better believe I'll have my 1911 in hand, and my wife will have the phone in hers. :uhoh: And that door isn't gonna open - any conversation will be through a closed and locked door.

And of course...
article said:
State records show Hill had been in and out of prison since 1986 for burglary, grand theft, selling cocaine and other crimes. Hill was last arrested in Pinellas County in February for disorderly intoxication.
Hill's girlfriend, Arielle Hope, said after the shooting that he was changing his life.
"It's a shame everything went down the way it did," Hope said. "Al's future was bright and everything was looking up for him and me and our life together."
:banghead: Yeah, he was changing his life... right after one last assault/burglary/rape/whatever!

SFCRetired

Sorta OT, but isn't it strange that, after someone is killed while committing a serious crime, there is always a family member, fiancee, friend, whatever, saying that the deceased was "turning their life around" and "his future was looking bright"?

In reading the article, I noticed several glaring mistakes the beauty queen and her fiance made. He brags about her $60,000 engagement ring, they try to pay for pizza with $100 bills(!!), and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age. They made themselves into targets and it was just a matter of time before someone took a stab at them.

FWIW, they are more of a target after the publication of this story than they were before. Were I in their shoes, I would seriously consider moving.

And I fully agree with 4angrybadgers; do not knock on my door after nine at night or before nine in the morning unless you want to be rather rudely greeted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And I fully agree with 4angrybadgers; do not knock on my door after nine at night or before nine in the morning unless you want to be rather rudely greeted.

I will take two giant steps beyond that line. Do not come to my door unless you have legal reason to be there or are an invitee. My home is my castle and the draw bridge is up!

Occasionally have door to door solicitors who are advised as to their being unwelcome, but also report to local LEA and see them routinely detained, frequently being presented new wrist jewelry.

FTG-05

[snip]

In reading the article, I noticed several glaring mistakes the beauty queen and her fiance made. He brags about her $60,000 engagement ring, they try to pay for pizza with $100 bills(!!), and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age. They made themselves into targets and it was just a matter of time before someone took a stab at them.

[snip]

The way I read this, along with the camera surveillance etc. was that these people have a "side job" that's cash-intensive. My .02.

Last edited:

RooksGambit

SFCRetired said:
and they allow visitors at all hours. Those factors, combined, equate to gross stupidity in this day and age.

Acknowledging that you said that those factors "combined" were grossly stupid, don't take my comment as being adversarial. I'm a 2nd shift worker, as are the majority of my social circle. It is not unusual for me or my roommates to have visitors at 3am. I'm sure that's true for many folk who aren't stupid. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Yes, I missed it. And, lacking a "fair use" quote, I'm wishing I had missed this thread.

C'mon guys. Give us a little sprinkling of info so we can decide if we are really all that interested in following the link.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, I missed it. And, lacking a "fair use" quote, I'm wishing I had missed this thread.

C'mon guys. Give us a little sprinkling of info so we can decide if we are really all that interested in following the link.

Am always willing to help.

Try this or this ...:lol:

Dreamer

Where we live we have strange people show up at home(and at work) for stranger reasons. On that topic one of my co-workers keeps telling me I should get this doormat.
51fZe3QoFoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PLEASE supply us with a link to the vendor of these door mats... This one would be a great replacement for my current mat...

Dreamer

She's a model. Her image IS her product, and she just wants to be rightfully reimbursed for the use of her "product".

I have no issue with her expecting to be paid for the use of her image by a media outlet. ESPECIALLY since they used it on the "cover" of their website. And considering the propagandistic headline they used ("cashing in on killing"), I think she might have a relatively solid case for slander and libel too...

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03/23/032411-news-front/

Last edited:
B

Benton21

I am agree with you weapon is a basic need for the self defense.
If she had not Then the news may be different. She is lucky that she had.

Trekker

Sorta OT, but isn't it strange that, after someone is killed while committing a serious crime, there is always a family member, fiancee, friend, whatever, saying that the deceased was "turning their life around" and "his future was looking bright"?

The exact quote from the first article is kind of funny:

"Hill's girlfriend, Arielle Hope, said after the shooting that he was changing his life."

Hmmm, I'd say after the shooting, his life was changed. Do they pay these writers?

since9

Campaign Veteran
"After the March 12 home invasion and shooting, which the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said Sunday is still under investigation, neighbors weren't surprised by the location."

Robber. Break-in. Home defended, robber dead.

End of report.

Why is it "still under investigation?" Is it because they can't figure out why Bella the cockatoo says "hello?"

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm a 2nd shift worker, as are the majority of my social circle. It is not unusual for me or my roommates to have visitors at 3am. I'm sure that's true for many folk who aren't stupid. ;)

Agreed, and some weird things go on after midnight.

On the other hand, I still don't open my door until I've looked through the peephole and made a non-stupid decision whether or not to open the door.