• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Great Northwest Washington OC report

amlevin

O'riely's follows state law,

O'Reilly's (formerly Schucks) only written policy is for Employees. No guns or even ammo allowed in Store or in vehicles parked in lot.

As for Customers, they are reluctant to confront any Customer for Anything. Employees are even told to avoid confronting Shoplifters. After all, they don't want to upset them an send them to Napa or Auto Zone.

(note: I worked for them for a few years after I retired. The local management doesn't want to do anything that might offend any customer, even if they aren't really a customer.)

sudden valley gunner

O'Reilly's (formerly Schucks) only written policy is for Employees. No guns or even ammo allowed in Store or in vehicles parked in lot.

As for Customers, they are reluctant to confront any Customer for Anything. Employees are even told to avoid confronting Shoplifters. After all, they don't want to upset them an send them to Napa or Auto Zone.

(note: I worked for them for a few years after I retired. The local management doesn't want to do anything that might offend any customer, even if they aren't really a customer.)

Yea a very close acquaintance of mine works for them. He Managed two stores before being made DMZ, been with the company for 25 years. Guns on customers good to go.

To go along with your point he once told me if someone comes in and asks for a cheeseburger he instructed his employees to go across the street get one from McDonald's, bring it back mark it up 30% and sell it to them.

amlevin

Yea a very close acquaintance of mine works for them. He Managed two stores before being made DMZ, been with the company for 25 years. Guns on customers good to go.

To go along with your point he once told me if someone comes in and asks for a cheeseburger he instructed his employees to go across the street get one from McDonald's, bring it back mark it up 30% and sell it to them.

Is his name Dave?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Saturday shopping with the Sweet Baboo. She cannot pass a yard sale sign so we stopped at a few. Invisible. We stopped in at the municipal gun range. Very nice, 135 a year, 8.50 a day for residents.

Hammer

Yesterday's OC encounter:
I was up at Custer for a match (Tac rifle) and went over to the Jack-in-the-Box for breakfast before the match, had my Glock 20 strongside in Blackhawk Serpa. Lady walks up behind me in line. My assessment was no threat, so just waited my turn to order.
She: I didn't know you could do that here.
Me: Any citizen that may legally own a handgun may legally carry it openly in WA. OK, you can pick at the 18-21 restriction, but it did not apply to either of us, so I'm not going to detail every letter of the law.
She: Oh, I thought you might be LE
Me: No, just a citizen.
She: You're not undercover?
Me: If I were I wouldn't be very sneaky, would I? No, just a citizen.
She: I wish we could do that where I'm from. (Giving away that she's Canadian, which I kind of suspected, but didn't ask)
Me: I wish you could, too. Folks seem to be much more respectful to one another when there are firearms present.
She: (slight laugh- nervous? or just my obtuse English humor?)
Then we chatted about all kinds of sundry things while we waited for orders and food. Kind of a non-encounter....

amlevin

Yesterday's OC encounter:
I was up at Custer for a match (Tac rifle) and went over to the Jack-in-the-Box for breakfast before the match, had my Glock 20 strongside in Blackhawk Serpa. Lady walks up behind me in line. My assessment was no threat, so just waited my turn to order.
She: I didn't know you could do that here.
Me: Any citizen that may legally own a handgun may legally carry it openly in WA. OK, you can pick at the 18-21 restriction, but it did not apply to either of us, so I'm not going to detail every letter of the law.
She: Oh, I thought you might be LE
Me: No, just a citizen.
She: You're not undercover?
Me: If I were I wouldn't be very sneaky, would I? No, just a citizen.
She: I wish we could do that where I'm from. (Giving away that she's Canadian, which I kind of suspected, but didn't ask)
Me: I wish you could, too. Folks seem to be much more respectful to one another when there are firearms present.
She: (slight laugh- nervous? or just my obtuse English humor?)
Then we chatted about all kinds of sundry things while we waited for orders and food. Kind of a non-encounter....

Did you get her number?:)

Trigger Dr

Wow. Really? Custer Gun Club is $65 per year.

PS Dinner at Paso Del Norte on Sat evening. No comments, no notice that I could tell.

Poulsbo Sportsman's Club is $60 a year AND you get range points for "voluntary" work parties and/or serving as RSO. These "range points" can be converted to merchandise at a local sporting goods store, etc.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
semi negative encounter

So there I was, surrounded, knee deep in Walmart. I had been shopping with my Sweet Baboo long enough to glaze over and get released. She went to clothes I went to look for some 9x18 ammunition. None available so off to find the wife and get out. From behind I hear a tiny little voice (not the beer in the fridge calling out "drink me") saying "excuse me!". I continued on, it came again, and again, until he caught up with me. "excuse me, you're showing." said he, I quickly looked down at my zipper (it was in battery). "no" and he nodded to my weapon. "Oh, yes, it is. Why isn't yours??" said I. "not necessary" said he. " I open carry all the time, it's a citizens responsibility." said I. He stared blankly, shook his head, and slowly walked away. Lori walked up and said "what was that all about?" She laughed.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I usually do not get on highways on friday afternoon, but I rec'd a new pistol in the mail and I had to get some ammunition. I needed 9x18 and headed over to Big 5 at the mall. Parked and went in the side door straight into B5. Wandered around looking at sharp things while waiting for a sales rep. Guy came over, had no 9x18, thanks anyway. He suggested trying Yeagers. Polite, and quiet. No weapon issues.
Off to Yeagers. I parked in the back and headed for the door. Sign says "check your weapon or conceal" more or less. I covered and went right to the counter girl and asked about open carry and mentioned the sign. She asked me to cover while she checked and I picked up my ammunition. I checked out at her desk and she told me that the sign was directed to people turning weapons in and OC was allowed. I uncovered, got a 10% discount on the ammunition (mil) and went about my merry way.

sudden valley gunner

I usually do not get on highways on friday afternoon, but I rec'd a new pistol in the mail and I had to get some ammunition. I needed 9x18 and headed over to Big 5 at the mall. Parked and went in the side door straight into B5. Wandered around looking at sharp things while waiting for a sales rep. Guy came over, had no 9x18, thanks anyway. He suggested trying Yeagers. Polite, and quiet. No weapon issues.
Off to Yeagers. I parked in the back and headed for the door. Sign says "check your weapon or conceal" more or less. I covered and went right to the counter girl and asked about open carry and mentioned the sign. She asked me to cover while she checked and I picked up my ammunition. I checked out at her desk and she told me that the sign was directed to people turning weapons in and OC was allowed. I uncovered, got a 10% discount on the ammunition (mil) and went about my merry way.

I never had any issues at Big 5 Nick there is very helpful and supportive of our rights, and a gun carrier himself.

Actually that reminds me I gotta get some flyers he said he would leave them on the counter there for people to take.

Hammer

Did you get her number?:)

HaHa!

Why, are you looking for a Canuck that supports carry rights?
My wife has had my number for quite a few years. Other numbers just clutter the mix, something I DON'T need.

I was back up at Custer yesterday, and in some stores around Ferndale. Same reaction pretty much everywhere- none at all.

heresolong

Off to Yeagers. I parked in the back and headed for the door. Sign says "check your weapon or conceal" more or less.

That's weird. I go to Yeager's all the time, always go in the front door, have never seen a sign, and have never been asked to do anything with my firearm. Either they mostly don't care or I am just oblivious.

ARADCOM

Yeagers

That's weird. I go to Yeager's all the time, always go in the front door, have never seen a sign, and have never been asked to do anything with my firearm. Either they mostly don't care or I am just oblivious.

There is a sign on the front door (Northwest Ave entrance) that says check your weapons with the cashier. But it also says "except for those carried for personal protection". That's from memory so it may not be an exact quote.
I think what they want you to check is any gun you'd be "handling", like one brought in for trade or for service.

I routinely carry in the store and have never had an issue

heresolong

There is a sign on the front door (Northwest Ave entrance) that says check your weapons with the cashier. But it also says "except for those carried for personal protection". That's from memory so it may not be an exact quote.
I think what they want you to check is any gun you'd be "handling", like one brought in for trade or for service.

Haha. Guess I am oblivious.

ak56

Campaign Veteran

Haha. Guess I am oblivious.

Not just you I didn't notice it until Tyler brought it to my attention last year. I always just walked in.

I haven't noticed it either. But then again, I haven't been in Yeager's in about 45 years. The place has probably changed a bit in that time.