• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assembly Bill 282

wrightme

after reading this email i only have one question. If the language in this bill does not allow law enforcement agencies to charge whatever they wish, then why not just make the simple change that puts everyones mind at ease about it. Simple, easy and everyone gets what they want. why is assemblyman oceguera fighting so hard to keep the current language if it makes no difference either way? It makes me wonder about his motives.
tbg

bingo!

varminter22

----- Original Message -----
To: [All SFA]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 9:45 PM
Subject: NRA Joins SFA & Nevada Gun Rights Groups in Asking Senate to Amend AB282

SFA sincerely thanks the NRA-ILA for stepping to the plate and assisting in our quest for proper fee language in AB-282.

See the recent (May 22) SFA Legislative Update - and much more in the SFA "NV Legislation 2011" forum.

Please contact the Senate - urge them to reinsert the $25 fee cap for CCW permit renewals - and strike the ambiguous and dangerous "actual cost" language.

Nevada Senators copy/paste email addresses:

sbreeden@sen.state.nv.us; acopening@sen.state.nv.us; mdenis@sen.state.nv.us; shorsford@sen.state.nv.us; rkihuen@sen.state.nv.us; jlee@sen.state.nv.us; sleslie@sen.state.nv.us; mmanendo@sen.state.nv.us; dparks@sen.state.nv.us; mschneider@sen.state.nv.us; vwiener@sen.state.nv.us; gbrower@sen.state.nv.us; bcegavske@sen.state.nv.us; dgustavson@sen.state.nv.us; ehalseth@sen.state.nv.us; jhardy@sen.state.nv.us; bkieckhefer@sen.state.nv.us; mmcginness@sen.state.nv.us; drhoads@sen.state.nv.us; mroberson@sen.state.nv.us; jsettelmeyer@sen.state.nv.us

Senators' complete contact and telephone info here: www.leg.state.nv.us/Senate/Current/Senators/slist.cfm

Please email and/or call soon - AB-282 is scheduled to be heard, and perhaps an amendment proposed, on Wednesday, May 25.

CPO J. L. Rhodes, USN(RET)
Board of Directors/Chairman, Legislative Action Committee & Unpaid Nevada Lobbyist/Public Affairs Officer/Past President
(775) 427-4563
www.stillwaterfirearms.org
P. O. Box 665
Fallon NV 89407

----- Original Message -----
To: VARMINTER22@charter.net
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 8:00 PM
Subject: NRA Joins Nevada Gun Rights Groups in Asking for Senate Amendment

NRA Joins Nevada Gun Rights Groups in Asking for Senate Amendment

After receiving many e-mails and phone calls from Nevada gun owners over several days, the NRA is joining fellow gun rights groups in asking that Assembly Bill 282, introduced by Assembly Speaker John Oceguera (D-16), be amended on the Senate floor to add back in the $25.00 non-refundable fee that sheriffs can charge on right to carry permit renewals.

The amended language in AB 282 states that the sheriffs can charge "the actual cost to obtain the reports required pursuant to subsection of NRA 202.356" is troublesome in that it doesn't define what "actual cost" really is. Circulating around the state Capitol is a memorandum written by the Nevada Legislative Counsel (which was requested by Speaker Oceguera to counter the gun community's concerns) that recites the administrative requirements for which the sheriff may charge the fee and concludes that since only these administrative requirements may be included within the fee, the fee is effectively "capped" so the current $25.00 is not necessary.

However, the NRA has concluded that what could be included as part of the "actual costs" for these things is not defined or limited by the legislative language. Thus, the "cap" is limited only by the ability of a sheriff to justify an expense by reference to how it supports one of these administrative requirements. This includes matters within the sheriff's own discretion, such as whether these administrative requirements mean new staffing, new computers, new infrastructure, etc.

The current language in AB 282 is likely to result in different fees being charged in different counties for the same things, depending on how efficiently a given sheriff's office operates!

AB 282 is scheduled to be heard on Third Reading this Wednesday, May 25. Please contact your state Senator immediately and ask him or her to support an amendment to restore the $25.00 non-refundable fee in AB 282 or vote to oppose it in its current form. Contact information for your state Senator can be found here.

While there are many issues to support in AB 282, the NRA can't turn a blind eye to what this could cost Nevada's gun owners, nor should those issues be used as a means to get gun owners to submit to a fee increase.

This alert is posted to www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6819

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legislative Counsel Bureau memo, May 19, 2011:
http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/p...arminter22/AB282/LCBmemo_AB282_May19_2011.pdf

NRA-ILA letter, May 23, 2011, Amend or Oppose:
http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/p...22/AB282/NRA_AB282_AmendReqLtr_May23_2011.pdf

SFA "Amend or Oppose" letter, May 24, 2011:
http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/p...nter22/AB282/SFA_AB282_Sen_Ltr_May24_2011.pdf

AB-282 will (hopefully) be dealt with on the Senate floor Wednesday, May 25, 2011.

Please continue to call/email the Senate!

--------------------------------------------------

An interesting article concerning Nevada Assembly Speaker and "his" AB-282:
In school, if you are caught plagiarizing, punishments can vary from failing the assignment or class, or even lead to expulsion from school. In the Nevada Legislature, however, there are no punishments when a legislator, especially one in a leadership position, copies the ideas of his colleagues.
Read the entire article here:
http://nevadanewsandviews.com/2011/05/22/the-two-faces-of-speaker-oceguera/

njeske

Just watched the live floor session for AB282. Senator Halseth's proposed amendment 780 was adopted via floor vote with what sounded like no opposition. As the previous post states, this amendment reverts the language we're all opposed to regarding renewal permit fees back to the original language stating the fee should be $25. As a side note, it also adds all Republican Senators as co-sponsors of the bill. Looks like good news all around.

Vegassteve

I live in Las Vegas. Yet I am a member of Stillwater Firearms. These guys have been at the frontline fighting for us. I would ask that one way to thank these folks is to send in and become a member.

wrightme

Just watched the live floor session for AB282. Senator Halseth's proposed amendment 780 was adopted via floor vote with what sounded like no opposition. As the previous post states, this amendment reverts the language we're all opposed to regarding renewal permit fees back to the original language stating the fee should be $25. As a side note, it also adds all Republican Senators as co-sponsors of the bill. Looks like good news all around.

SWEET! I was astounded at the attitute presented by the Speaker Oceguera against those who opposed the wording of the fee amendment.

By the way, not just the club SFA, but specifically, varminter22 has put countless hours into correspondence and session time this year, and he does deserve HUGE props for his effective work this (and others) year.

Sec. 5.5. The provisions of NRS 354.599 do not apply to any additional expenses of a local government that are related to the provisions of this act.
??? Not sure what that addition means yet.

http://leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/Amendments/A_AB282_R3_780.pdf

third reading today.

Last edited:

njeske

Been watching the live feed from the senate floor since 11am, hoping to see the vote, and they still haven't started. Just recently a message went up saying they wouldn't start until at least 12:15pm. Not sure what's going on...

Wayne

And now the information page includes this tidbit: "INCLUDES UNFUNDED MANDATE." Sheesh.

As soon as Senator Halseth's amendment was added correcting the fee issue, the unfunded mandate language was added. Hopefully it's not an issue for the Gov to sign it.

Vegassteve

Email I just got from Horne when I asked him why he killed the bill.

"Horne, William Assemblyman" <whorne@asm.state.nv.us> wrote:

The language I support provides for the "nonrefundable fee necessary to obtain the reports...." for the background. If you set a cap at $25, and the cost to get the records is $35, then the gun shop owner is stuck making up the difference. That's why I opposed the amendment today.

William Horne, Assemblyman
Chairman of the Assembly Committee on Judiciary
Majority Whip

Nevada State Assembly
401 South Carson Street, suite 3127
Carson City, NV 89701

Telephone: 775-684-8847
Email: whorne@asm.state.nv.us

nomidlname

Status right now is

Senate Amendment No. 780 not receded from. Conference requested. Conference Committee appointed by Senate. To Assembly.

What the heck does that mean?

Wayne

Status right now is

Senate Amendment No. 780 not receded from. Conference requested. Conference Committee appointed by Senate. To Assembly.

What the heck does that mean?

A conference committee is like a negotiation session between the two houses to work out their differences.

Not the best of situations but not lost at this point.

varminter22

Most of you know this is one of my favorite forums.

I just haven't had a lot of time to post much here since the legislative session started.

Would love to keep this forum updated with session info, but simply don't have the time to do it.

There is much legislative session info posted at http://nevadashooters.com/ in their "Second Amendment and Politics" forum.

Hope no one minds me posting that here.​