Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: School Zones = B.S.

  1. #1
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41

    School Zones = B.S.

    You know, I got to thinking.

    If they want to have this strict school zone law, they should be required to post signs that you are entering a school zone. To me, this seems dangerously close to entrapment.

    If not that, then schools should be required to publish zoning maps. Sure, I looked on the Department of Educationís website, but what about someone running a daycare out of their home but who also specializes in kindergarten schooling? Then what? You walk by an innocent looking house... felony.

    To me this just seems ludicrous they can impose a law such as this, but not tell you EXACTLY where 1,000 feet is.

    Riverside was smart. They allowed a k-12 school on almost every street in Riverside.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    4
    Did you find any good maps?

    I was gonna try to put a google earth overlay or something together for the area.

  3. #3
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSuchecki View Post
    Did you find any good maps?

    I was gonna try to put a google earth overlay or something together for the area.
    No, nothing. I typed "riverside k-12 schools" in google maps and checked around for ANY area that isn't near a school. They are few and far in-between. The Tyler area right next to the mall looks promising, except for this Montessori Academy, which has several schools that are K-12. This one, however, looks more like a day care center than a school. I emailed them to ask them if they were chartered as a k-12. If they are not, then the area around the Tyler mall looks promising.

    There is the bowling center off of Indiana that is not near a school either, that looks like it might work.

    This is all great, but unfortunately, if there is a school that is NOT listed on gmaps, or the DOE website, it's bad news bear. This was the point of my rant, really.If they want us to abide by laws, they have to make those laws feasible to abide by.

  4. #4
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
    If they want us to abide by laws, they have to make those laws feasible to abide by.
    This is the face of 'reasonable restrictions'. It is irrelevant to them how 'feasible' it is to transport a firearm, so long as you are not able to navigate the confusing and overly complicated regulations, and lack the initiative to try.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  5. #5
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    This is the face of 'reasonable restrictions'. It is irrelevant to them how 'feasible' it is to transport a firearm, so long as you are not able to navigate the confusing and overly complicated regulations, and lack the initiative to try.
    Truth.

  6. #6
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    Get involved to help people OC in your area, send an email volunteering to mapping@sboc.ca and help spread our map to your area: http://maps.sboc.ca

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Livermore, California, USA
    Posts
    229

    GFSZ (aka VDZ)

    In many cities in the SF Bay Area (as in my neighborhood VDZ) there are signs that state "Drug Free School Zone". It is not uniform however. As Bad Ace would say, "Keep your head on a swivel."

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pottsboro,texas
    Posts
    200
    I hear your crys and feel your pain on school zones. now listen to my crys.
    just today I was thnking to post a thread on school zones, because I am need of a little more help with this issue than the average person. if the average person comes to school zones, they can just go around the block or turn around but, when I come on one with my 18 wheeler ...there is no turning around and going around the block can put you in some desperate neighborhoods with narrow or blocked streets. and there you sit with your belongings and high dollar freight like a bloody steak in a room full of pitbulls.
    Oh and to mention one other thing that sticks out around the schools of this days travel is,they all were on a truck route and surrounded by streets with no truck signs thus forcing trucks to go by the schools on the narrow streeted route.
    yes they should mark all the zones and bring the distance in to just the school grounds ( well think about it , people that live across the street from schools legally can't have a gun under the school zone law what about their rights?) and allow passage down the most used street especially if it is on a truck route if not, then they should build truck routes around the zones for all to use . now which one do you think they will go for? however something needs to be done ...afterall 1000ft is 3 and 1/3 football fields. so going around the block ain't gonna cut it either
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Reasonable knowledge...

    Well, the law also states that one has to have reasonable knowledge that you were in a school zone to be in violation. However, I'm told that judges and LEOs interpret that as they see fit. So, the general consensus is to be safe than sorry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41
    Right, and as I stated the major problem with school zones is the little hole in the wall daycare centers who specialize in k-2 or something like that! Those worry me, and we have a few of them.

    Most of the time you will be WELL within the 1000 feet by the time your eyes can even see the school. Tree's, buildings, etc. Also, don't forgot about schools that may be across the freeway. Even though there is a huge freeway blocking you and the school, I am sure to bet good money a Judge or LEO would love to get you on that technically!

    Be safe everyone, and HGREEN, I am making a map right now. It's slow going, but when it's complete, I will share it with SBOC and OC.org. :thumbsup:

  11. #11
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
    Right, and as I stated the major problem with school zones is the little hole in the wall daycare centers who specialize in k-2 or something like that! Those worry me, and we have a few of them.
    "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public
    or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1
    to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds
    of the public or private school.
    "Daycare" facilities are not schools.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
    Also, don't forgot about schools that may be across the freeway. Even though there is a huge freeway blocking you and the school, I am sure to bet good money a Judge or LEO would love to get you on that technically!
    The entire law is a "technicality".

  13. #13
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    "Daycare" facilities are not schools.
    They are if they have programs for K-3... etc. (Private Schools or people that are running a "school program" but also offer daycare. These you have to be especially careful of. I don't want to be the first one to go to court and have to fight my way out of this something like this.

    Especially this Montessori Academy. This place is a joke. They put them in Industrial/Shopping complexes so these places are wiping out the safe area's.
    Last edited by vindicated; 03-23-2011 at 12:25 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
    You know, I got to thinking.

    If they want to have this strict school zone law, they should be required to post signs that you are entering a school zone. To me, this seems dangerously close to entrapment.

    If not that, then schools should be required to publish zoning maps. .
    You're looking at it all wrong. Under the second amendment, now incorporated against california gun laws directly, California lacks the authority to have that law, and the school lacks the authority to have any part in enforcing it. For either party to have done so or to continue to do so, seems to me to be a clear cut case of treason. In the position of an activist, it doesn't seem like it would do much good to ask them to make you a map. For one thing on a moral level it would be assisting them, and for another thing it wouldn't be legally binding.

    The GFSZA lost in the 90's at the federal level, got brought back, and now it needs to lose again in California and in the SCOTUS. Remember that you're talking about some real choice idiots, and it will take a court battle to spank them. Anything less is ******* into the wind.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Soon to be Yooper here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    You're looking at it all wrong. Under the second amendment, now incorporated against california gun laws directly, California lacks the authority to have that law, and the school lacks the authority to have any part in enforcing it. For either party to have done so or to continue to do so, seems to me to be a clear cut case of treason. In the position of an activist, it doesn't seem like it would do much good to ask them to make you a map. For one thing on a moral level it would be assisting them, and for another thing it wouldn't be legally binding.

    The GFSZA lost in the 90's at the federal level, got brought back, and now it needs to lose again in California and in the SCOTUS. Remember that you're talking about some real choice idiots, and it will take a court battle to spank them. Anything less is ******* into the wind.
    Hey Michigander:

    How is life on the lower peninsula?

    My born-and-raised Yooper wife and I will retire to your deep red state.

    BTT:

    We have a granny flat with no granny in it right now. You may use it for as long as it takes for you to get arrested and arraigned for violating a Kali GFSZ. After your arraignment, you will need lots of money for legal fees and your record will be tarnished for about 5 years while your case goes to SCOTUS.

    Hopefully, Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Kennedy, and Alito will still be alive. Otherwise, Obama will have appointed another neo-Marxist associate justice. Neo-Marxists like Kagen and Sotomejor don't believe in an individual right to self defense. They believe in the collective good. To them, collective rights are more imortant than your life or your individual rights.

    PM me if you want to be our lab rat.

    I am willing to bet that you won't spend one night in my empty granny flat--you will be arrested that quickly.

    I am so proud that Michigan is a red state.

    Chrysler has a great commercial about Detroit. "Imported from Detroit!!" I love it.

    markm

  16. #16
    Regular Member CORN BORN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vista, CA.
    Posts
    23
    Get involved to help people OC in your area, send an email volunteering to mapping@sboc.ca and help spread our map to your area: http://maps.sboc.ca

    HGREEN...I did send my info on how I can help to you and to the Mapping people about Three weeks ago.......yea I am still waiting for a reply.
    Last edited by CORN BORN; 03-23-2011 at 07:29 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by CORN BORN View Post
    Get involved to help people OC in your area, send an email volunteering to mapping@sboc.ca and help spread our map to your area: http://maps.sboc.ca

    HGREEN...I did send my info on how I can help to you and to the Mapping people about Three weeks ago.......yea I am still waiting for a reply.
    I'll buzz our mapping guy. He is busy running his own business and doing all this volunteering (like the rest of us), but he is committed so don't worry! Keep bugging him!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    I'll buzz our mapping guy. He is busy running his own business and doing all this volunteering (like the rest of us), but he is committed so don't worry! Keep bugging him!
    How is San Diego coming?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  19. #19
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy352 View Post
    How is San Diego coming?
    Is anyone working with our mapping guy for San Diego?

  20. #20
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    please pm me contact info, I have several personal maps I can scan and email. Not complete, but a start.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  21. #21
    Regular Member vindicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    41
    How are you guys mapping this? My specific question is, how are you finding out the actual school property lines? Where are you getting your information about schools? The CDOE website?

  22. #22
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
    How are you guys mapping this? My specific question is, how are you finding out the actual school property lines? Where are you getting your information about schools? The CDOE website?
    CDOE for some basic school location, then county GIS database for parcel lines, through PRA requests, some have the information posted already.

  23. #23
    Regular Member CORN BORN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vista, CA.
    Posts
    23
    will do thanks HGREEN

  24. #24
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate View Post
    Hey Michigander:

    How is life on the lower peninsula?

    My born-and-raised Yooper wife and I will retire to your deep red state.

    BTT:

    We have a granny flat with no granny in it right now. You may use it for as long as it takes for you to get arrested and arraigned for violating a Kali GFSZ. After your arraignment, you will need lots of money for legal fees and your record will be tarnished for about 5 years while your case goes to SCOTUS.

    snip

    PM me if you want to be our lab rat.

    I am willing to bet that you won't spend one night in my empty granny flat--you will be arrested that quickly.
    I'm not advocating carrying openly in those areas without a license. Nor do I believe you would need to in order to get a case going. First, I believe there are plenty of other people who have already been maliciously prosecuted. Second, law suits over deprevation of rights would be a good way to go and get the ball rolling. And I believe calguns is already working hard on that.

    My point was that as an activist it's good to try to take meaningful and effective actions. ******* in the wind is not an effective action. The trouble is that activism is all but banned there, as is demonstrated by the fact that some folks here are asking for a mapped out permission slip for where to carry.

    Would I be willing to move to kali and go and do some in your face OCing? Sure! I'll take your little spare house too, just so long as it comes with a shall issue county or city, and a decent job nearby fixing cars. Also has to be norcal, no LA. If that was possible, I'd love to go front off the tyrants who run your government. (I mean it, really I would. I was one of a small handful of people who started OCing in Michigan in the face of brutal and felonious police opposition, it still happens some to this day, and I'm in no way afraid of more)

    By the way, the upper peninsula is okay, even has a few wanna be mountains, but it's so cold so constantly, nevermind wet when it's summer, that I can't stand it. Not that any of Michigan is nice, as a matter of fact I think Kentucky is the closest nice state. But at least you will enjoy being in a fairly free state.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    The UP is cold and the winters are long.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I'm not advocating carrying openly in those areas without a license. Nor do I believe you would need to in order to get a case going. First, I believe there are plenty of other people who have already been maliciously prosecuted. Second, law suits over deprevation of rights would be a good way to go and get the ball rolling. And I believe calguns is already working hard on that.

    My point was that as an activist it's good to try to take meaningful and effective actions. ******* in the wind is not an effective action. The trouble is that activism is all but banned there, as is demonstrated by the fact that some folks here are asking for a mapped out permission slip for where to carry.

    Would I be willing to move to kali and go and do some in your face OCing? Sure! I'll take your little spare house too, just so long as it comes with a shall issue county or city, and a decent job nearby fixing cars. Also has to be norcal, no LA. If that was possible, I'd love to go front off the tyrants who run your government. (I mean it, really I would. I was one of a small handful of people who started OCing in Michigan in the face of brutal and felonious police opposition, it still happens some to this day, and I'm in no way afraid of more)

    By the way, the upper peninsula is okay, even has a few wanna be mountains, but it's so cold so constantly, nevermind wet when it's summer, that I can't stand it. Not that any of Michigan is nice, as a matter of fact I think Kentucky is the closest nice state. But at least you will enjoy being in a fairly free state.
    Hey Michigander,

    You are right about the UP being cold and wet. My wife and I will be based out of L'Anse, but won't spend spring or late fall in the UP. Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Arizona will be our winter safety valves. The dead of winter in Baraga County is a blast, with the ice fishing on Lake Superior and snow machining being fun past times.

    BTT:

    It is a tough call. Even a lawsuit not related to an arrest is difficult. I am a work'n'man. I am not rich. Most of us involved on this site are working folk. We don't have deep pockets to fund legal fees/costs. I would love to be involved in a land-mark case, but don't have the disposable assets.

    markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •