• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great article on pistol bullet stopping power

PT111

Very interesting article on Terminal Ballistics from a different perspective:

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal Ballistics as viewed in a morgue.htm

I have seen that article posted of several other board before and have always wondered about the source of it. It always seem a little scarce of the true author of it. The other thing about it is the number of autopsies claimed (8.4 per day/365 days a year). That sure seems like a lot of autopsies for one person to see even if it means just reading the reports for that many. He makes some good points but I would like to know a little more about the source before I take it as gospel.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have seen that article posted of several other board before and have always wondered about the source of it. It always seem a little scarce of the true author of it. The other thing about it is the number of autopsies claimed (8.4 per day/365 days a year). That sure seems like a lot of autopsies for one person to see even if it means just reading the reports for that many. He makes some good points but I would like to know a little more about the source before I take it as gospel.

Search begins here:

Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

Comments by Deadmeat2 (and a few others) found on the SW Forum
Archived on Mouseguns.com July 13, 2006
Original Post is Here

Also look at the following, my pdf reader is acting up so I can't - it might be the same.
Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue Schulman

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Effective range about 20 miles with 16" Mark 7 guns, Max range about 25 miles.

The Mark 7 fired a projectile weighing about 1 ton.

Obviously, the picture show that the guns were openly carried.

That works out to a 14 MILLION grain projectile by my estimate.

I thought the caption on that picture should be "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

Vandil

That works out to a 14 MILLION grain projectile by my estimate.

I thought the caption on that picture should be "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

In order to clean the rifle a gunners mate was required to crawl through the entire length of the gun. (This was taken during the 1957 refit)

The morgue article was interesting but I'm sort of left agreeing with the poster that a 9mm +P+ would be about the same as a .357. MxV=

Last edited:

Lthrnck

World of Warcraft and the stopping power.

My wife and I play World of Warcraft.

There are spells or Buffs... whatever you want to call them, that increase the stopping power or the hit rating of your weapons.

There is always a discussion going on as to which one is better... more stopping power or better hit rating.

The players almost always pick the hit rating... why... because if you can't hit it... it doesn't matter what caliber it is.

4sooth

I have a complete issue of the 1925 World Book encyclopedia. In an article about battleships of the era, the book states that the battleships of that time could hit a target the same size as themselves five times out of twelve at 20 miles while under way--under optimum conditions. This was using the analog computers of those times and relatively crude range finding equipment.

The same projectiles today could be fitted with GPS guidance systems virtually assuring 100% hits at the same ranges. One--would be enough!!!

PT111

Search begins here:

Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

Comments by Deadmeat2 (and a few others) found on the SW Forum
Archived on Mouseguns.com July 13, 2006
Original Post is Here

Also look at the following, my pdf reader is acting up so I can't - it might be the same.
Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue Schulman

I think that it was on mouseguns when I first read it probably around that time or shortly after and although it was supposedly someone in Atlanta writing it the actual author never was revealed that I remember. I just recall the discussion about the number of autopsies per day and some other things being questionable However I don't recall anyone trying to dispute his conclusions other than they were his informed opinion rather than just Internet BS.

A very good article but also opinionated whether right, wrong or fantasy.