Thread: Like to contribute to a news story about OC in Eastern Idaho?

Like to contribute to a news story about OC in Eastern Idaho?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a news reporter in Eastern Idaho. As you all well know, Idaho preserves strong open carry rights, but I don't think it is particularly well known among many people in the state. It's pretty rare for me to see someone carrying openly, but whenever I do I'm fascinated and curious if they often run into problems in their day-to-day.
    Anyway, I'm planning on doing a news story on the people who open carry and common misconceptions people have. If you live in Eastern Idaho (or even better, in Pocatello) I'd really like to do a quick interview with you, and maybe follow you around for part of a day. You up for it?

Eastern Idaho

You should stop by Boise, there are quite a few of us, myself included, who would be more than happy to participate in what you're asking. In fact, one of the local open carriers is a partial owner in a newly opened restaurant called "Wild Bill's Barbecue." I'm certain he'd like the publicity.

Coming from a hostile state like California, and even reading 90% of the drivel that is claimed to be "journalism" from the media around here when it comes to guns, it's hard to believe you're wanting to do a positive piece. I'm a little jaded.

I've seen many reporters attempt to bait out 2nd Amendment Proponents and Open Carriers and then when you read the article there is a heavily negative tilt to it.

I hope you truly are trying to just shed light on the issue, without some negative bias that is common in the media.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reporterguy View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a news reporter in Eastern Idaho. As you all well know, Idaho preserves strong open carry rights, but I don't think it is particularly well known among many people in the state. It's pretty rare for me to see someone carrying openly, but whenever I do I'm fascinated and curious if they often run into problems in their day-to-day.
    Anyway, I'm planning on doing a news story on the people who open carry and common misconceptions people have. If you live in Eastern Idaho (or even better, in Pocatello) I'd really like to do a quick interview with you, and maybe follow you around for part of a day. You up for it?
    Properly credential reporters generally supply some background information on themselves such as by whom they are employed and contact information - something that can be confirmed and verified. A sample of your work is always appreciated too.

Meet us at least halfway and share something of yourself. I have done a lot of these interviews and can assure you that I never go in blind.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Properly credential reporters generally supply some background information on themselves such as by whom they are employed and contact information - something that can be confirmed and verified. A sample of your work is always appreciated too.

Meet us at least halfway and share something of yourself. I have done a lot of these interviews and can assure you that I never go in blind.
    Of course, I work for KIFI Local News 8 based out of Idaho Falls. Feel free to contact me at jtaylor@localnews8.com.

And just look for anything by Jake Taylor on localnews8.com if you'd like to see some of my work.