• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crippled deer in my yard

xd40arff

Down by me the County Sheriffs will come out and dispatch it for you with proper documentation. Then they will even let you keep the deer if you wanted it for hide/meat or whatever.

1FASTC4

Down by me the County Sheriffs will come out and dispatch it for you with proper documentation. Then they will even let you keep the deer if you wanted it for hide/meat or whatever.

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. Called Vilas County Sheriff. One of their guys came out, nice guy. Since the deer could get up and "run" he said it would actually be fine and no need to shoot it. He said the leg will eventually fall off and that the deer would be ok. I had no idea... learned something.

xd40arff

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. Called Vilas County Sheriff. One of their guys came out, nice guy. Since the deer could get up and "run" he said it would actually be fine and no need to shoot it. He said the leg will eventually fall off and that the deer would be ok. I had no idea... learned something.

Leg will fall off? Can't say I have ever heard that. Well either way it will be a coyote/wolf snack eventually.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Another example of why you NEVER ask the cops ANYTHING!!!

also,,, you didnt learn anything, that dear should be in someones freezer, now its coyote snack!

LR Yote 312

One of a couple things could happen...
Yeah...it might become Yote Bait....I doubt it,tho.
Most likely it will bone over and make a big lump at the break.
Or the broken bone will break thru the hide and sever itself off.

Deer will sometimes bunch up in small herds and will try to protect each other to a point,too.

Every once in a while I see a tri-pod. They do pretty well actually.

LR Yote

stickbow95

The eight-pointer I shot this past season (55yds, on the run, with a handgun I might add... where is the horn tootin' smiley? :lol:) had broken his right rear leg. It had healed into a big knot. Didn't seem to be much of a problem for him as he was moving fairly well through a fairly rough spot in a clearcut.
As LR says they do alright. Unless infection/gangrene sets in of course. Seen that too, from a prior arrow wound. It was pretty sad.

anmut

So the county sheriff deputy came out and said it was okay to go on? Probably - however more than likely he didn't have the firearm to get the job done properly and gave you a B.S. excuse on why he wasn't going to do it.

Captain Nemo

lame deer

Having hunted deer for 62 consecutive years let me assure you the deputy is correct. More than likely the deer was wounded during hunting season. The fact it survived this long during this Winter indicates it surely is finding enough food and able to fend off coyotes, wolves may be a different matter if they single him out as not being physically fit. The blood supply to the wounded area will stop, the skin and muscle area will dry up and the lower leg will fall off. The skin will then heal over the bone and barring unforseen problems the deer will survive. Of course that isn't as dramatic as some would like it to be.

1FASTC4

Ya that's about what the deputy said. Coyotes are essentially considered vermin in AZ(where I moved from), can you shoot them here? I have small kids who play in the yard so I'd rather not have wolves and coyotes back there hanging around. I've never seen tracks in the yard, but I know they are in the area.

Thanks.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Ya that's about what the deputy said. Coyotes are essentially considered vermin in AZ(where I moved from), can you shoot them here? I have small kids who play in the yard so I'd rather not have wolves and coyotes back there hanging around. I've never seen tracks in the yard, but I know they are in the area.

Thanks.
You can hunt coyote year round (except in northern WI during gun deer season) with a Small Game license. No daily limits on coyotes.

You can download the regulations here,

-Small Game starts on page 4
-Furbearing Animal info for coyotes is on page 15
-Map that shows the areas that can't be hunted during gun deer season is on page 16

Outdoorsman1

Last fall I was on my way home from work and came up on a deer (nice buck) that was in the ditch unable to get up after being hit by a car. The LEO was already on scene with the lights flashing. I was about 3 cars back when I head about 6 rounds fired. I got out and slowly walked up to the scene. This young LEO had just tried to mercy kill the deer with his side arm. I do not no the caliber but I am thinking if the deer was still alive after 6 rounds close range then maybe 9mm? Anyway, the LEO went to the squad and got his 12 ga. and did the job with 1 round point blanck to the head...

I drove away with a tear running down my cheek... But at least the 12 ga. got the job done in a hurry..

FYI.. Wolves in WI are protected by the Federal Endagered Species Act. There has been some wolf problems in Northern WI. For a lot of good info... my other favorite website.... www.lake-link.com... Search Forums for wolves...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Where can I acquire this feature?

Well I eat lots of Alaskan King Crab in hopes of absorbing some of it's genetic properties. Not sure if it's working yet.

Having hunted deer for 62 consecutive years let me assure you the deputy is correct. More than likely the deer was wounded during hunting season. The fact it survived this long during this Winter indicates it surely is finding enough food and able to fend off coyotes, wolves may be a different matter if they single him out as not being physically fit. The blood supply to the wounded area will stop, the skin and muscle area will dry up and the lower leg will fall off. The skin will then heal over the bone and barring unforseen problems the deer will survive. Of course that isn't as dramatic as some would like it to be.

Do you think perhaps that 62 years of consecutive hunting may have desensitized you a bit? 'Cause the only way your post could get more dramatic was if the deer in question now has to rescue it's mate from a drug dealing gang of Wild Hogs. Crazed hogs who are currently holding the forest hostage with threats of brush fires if ransom is not paid.

:eek:

Outdoorsman1

Originally Posted by Captain Nemo

"Do you think perhaps that 62 years of consecutive hunting may have desensitized you a bit? 'Cause the only way your post could get more dramatic was if the deer in question now has to rescue it's mate from a drug dealing gang of Wild Hogs. Crazed hogs who are currently holding the forest hostage with threats of brush fires if ransom is not paid.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

As a former hunter and current outdoorsman (not just a screen name) I did not see Captain Nemo's post as dramatic at all. In fact it was 100% accurate as well as informative. There in fact have been deer killed in WI recently by a pack of wolves as well as a few dog kills and a few dog attacks. The DNR recently eliminated a pack in the Rheinlander area because of these attacks and also because they we becoming acclimated to human presence (they were see "tracking" hunters to close for comfort). Wolves are becoming a real problem in WI. Heres drama.... If you are attacked by a pack of wolves in WI.. the best you could hoope for is to take a few with you (if armed).. after that the rest will have you for supper...

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman,

Last edited:

1FASTC4

More good info, thanks! I've been doing a lot of hiking in the Nicolet Forest/Blackjack Springs area...really cool area btw. Just to get out of the house I do this silly thing called geocaching and there's quite a few out in the woods...I do the in-town ones with the kids. Geocaching takes me to areas I wouldn't have otherwise seen.. some great spots up here. Anyway, would I be better served by carrying something more than my XD in .45? I have an SKS I could tote around without worrying if it received a few more dings to it.

stickbow95

In the northwoods a .45ACP is adequate. No bear issues in the winter of course. Even when they are around, the bears aren't usually an issue anyway. I have a sow and cubs on my property from time to time. They never bother anything but the garbage can when I don't put it in the garage. Coyotes, wolves, humans, and the occasional loose domestic dog worry me more.

If you're going to carry a .45ACP consider stoking it with non-expandiing bullets, preferably of the Flat Nose (FN) variety. You will have better penetration, and the wider, flat meplat will still make a good permanent wound channel. I use a hand cast 230gr truncated cone when I carry my 1911 in the woods. Otherwise I carry a big bore revolver.

Last edited: