• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crippled deer in my yard

Outdoorsman1

More good info, thanks! I've been doing a lot of hiking in the Nicolet Forest/Blackjack Springs area...really cool area btw. Just to get out of the house I do this silly thing called geocaching and there's quite a few out in the woods...I do the in-town ones with the kids. Geocaching takes me to areas I wouldn't have otherwise seen.. some great spots up here. Anyway, would I be better served by carrying something more than my XD in .45? I have an SKS I could tote around without worrying if it received a few more dings to it.

XD 45... SKS... either would work. Regretfully if ANYONE is attacked by a PACK of hungry wolves, like stated earlier best chance would be to get a few before they got you. Also please understand that there has not been any attacks on humans. The DNR is watching activity real close and correctly decided to eliminate the pack around Rheinlander BEFORE any human interaction took place. They have spotters out there trying to keep an eye on things. Also it is highly likely that a couple of "warning shots" (before an actual attack) would work in dispersing the pack. So best defence would be to remain on "High Alert" status while in the woods and be proactive instead of reactive. Another best case senario would be to travel in the woods with another armed person who knew how to shoot well...

Outdoorsman1

1FASTC4

Still more good info. When the weather improves I'll do that wood tromping with my pack of kids(they're all 5 so they're pretty small). Right now the snow is too deep for them to go to some of the places I go. Anyway, I just wanted to be confident that I would be adequately equipped to keep them safe. I realize the thread is only marginally related to OC but I knew you guys would have the answers. I'll have to pick up some FN's.. I have JHP's and some ball for targets.

Edit: The only wolves I've seen have been solitary, and then only from my vehicle. I haven't encountered anything more dangerous than ground squirrels on my hikes.

Last edited:

Resdon111

Call DNR? I'm new to WI so forgive my ignorance. One hind leg not working.

I'd call a DNR conservation warden next time. Deer don't exactly fall under law enforcement's umbrella (unless a buck robs a bank). What the officer said was probably the conjecture of the man inside the uniform, not the qualified opinion of a professional who wears it. Just my two cents.

Vandil

I had assumed that wolves could not climb and that I certainly could in true monkey man fashion if pursued by a pack of wolves.

Outdoorsman1

I had assumed that wolves could not climb and that I certainly could in true monkey man fashion if pursued by a pack of wolves.

A hunter in Michigan was in his tree stand when some wolves started circleing the tree.. he decided to spend the night in the tree instead of climbing down and walking back to his car after the wolves left... bye then it was real dark...

Outdoorsman1

PS: I was thinking maybe a wolf thread...but wrong topic for this website.. so I will just leave it at that....

Lurchiron

XD 45... SKS... either would work. Regretfully if ANYONE is attacked by a PACK of hungry wolves, like stated earlier best chance would be to get a few before they got you. Also please understand that there has not been any attacks on humans. The DNR is watching activity real close and correctly decided to eliminate the pack around Rheinlander BEFORE any human interaction took place. They have spotters out there trying to keep an eye on things. Also it is highly likely that a couple of "warning shots" (before an actual attack) would work in dispersing the pack. So best defence would be to remain on "High Alert" status while in the woods and be proactive instead of reactive. Another best case senario would be to travel in the woods with another armed person who knew how to shoot well...

Outdoorsman1

Like the 'Ol saying goes...You don't have to outrun the bear; just your buddy!!!:dude:

Vandil

After hiking in numerous remote locations I carry a PLB unit.

Way more likely to take a bad fall or have a medical emergency. Last thing I want to deal with is a situation like being stuck 5 miles out with broken leg rolled down into a ravine where no one can find me! Gives me the willy's just thinking about it.

sst0185

PLB unit right on to that. A friend of mine fell down a ravine while hiking alone, messed himself up pretty bad. He was lucky though managed to get himself out and get some help.

A 10mm is nice to have also.:monkey

Outdoorsman1

Heard the true story about some guy falling into a ravine while hiking and getting his arm stuck real bad... had to cut his own arm off and walk out to survive.. The made a movie about it..

Now thats BAD AS$ survival and beyond....

Outdoorsman

"Like the 'Ol saying goes...You don't have to outrun the bear; just your buddy!!!"

Saw a tee shirt once that said... "Bomb Squad... If you see me running, try and keep up..."

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I have an SKS I could tote around without worrying if it received a few more dings to it.

Carry the pistol.

I wouldnt carry the rifle. Too easy for someone to say your "hunting" illegally.

Otherwise pick up a small game license and carry the rifle.
Then you can claim your yote hunting.

Yote hunting doesnt have restricted hours or a weapon restriction.
So be sure to camo up....and carry a couple of small cheap calls.
You dont want to look like a deer hunter.

The only time yote "season" closes is over the deer seasons in the Northern Counties
so be sure to pick up some regs to see where your County falls and what restrictions apply.

Yote hunting is very challenging. I do quite abit of it and enjoy it to the point ya might say I live for it.

Wolf is a kinda sensitive topic for me.
I see them as a beautiful animal. One of natures most efficient predators that has a place in the order of things.

But when a pack of three or four attack a 3 or 4 thousand dollar bear dog some things have outlived their usefulness and I will declare myself on the bear dogs side.
No thought process involved.
The 3 S's work....And Work well but only if the last "S" is used with extreme diligence.

For the most part Wi. Blackies arent all that aggressive and wont usually be a problem.They are more afraid of you than you are of them.
Gettin in between Mama and Cubs breaks all the rules and your on your own there.

Bear noses are extremely good.They can smell things very well. Your not gonna trick them much with cover scents and sprays. Avoid the use of apple scent.Something with a fruity sweet smell will act as an attractant so pay a little attention to things like what shampoo you use.If your carrying a pack and a lunch use ziplock bags.

LR Yote

Attachments

• 09180010461.jpg
    09180010461.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 97
  • 10160012361.jpg
    10160012361.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Entrance9942.jpg
    Entrance9942.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

1FASTC4

I think I will get a small game license just for the heck of it. Maybe I'll carry the rifle from time to time.. this way I'll be covered .. thanks for the tips.

Coyotes here must be different than AZ coyotes. In Az if oyu want to shoot coyotes, you can just go sit in the dark out in the desert for a while and soon you'll have some around to kill. I lived on the edge of civilization there and you could always here the 'yotes and wild burros at night.

LR Yote 312

I think I will get a small game license just for the heck of it. Maybe I'll carry the rifle from time to time.. this way I'll be covered .. thanks for the tips.

Coyotes here must be different than AZ coyotes. In Az if oyu want to shoot coyotes, you can just go sit in the dark out in the desert for a while and soon you'll have some around to kill. I lived on the edge of civilization there and you could always here the 'yotes and wild burros at night.

It aint the Yote thats so different as it is the land itself.
Out there its pretty open. (once away from the cities)

Here...the land is in smaller parcels and someone usually owns it.
Some dont welcome varmint hunters, usually one of the kids on the farms
or the farmer them selves shoot them.

Here,they are more of a target of opportunity.
They are heard almost on a daily basis here....seeing them is a
little different. They are pretty skittish.
Most have been shot at once or twice and they learn quick to avoid the
open areas.

If the .22LR or .22mag were as effective as everyone thinks we wouldnt
have a need for the .22-250.

I use a .308 and it dont tear them up as bad as one would think.

Avoid FMJ ammo...that might get ya a ticket from the Warden.

LR Yote

Cobbersmom

Good advice here

You did right calling the cops. The DNR doesn't show up unless a law is being broken and they don't do injured deer unless they are available and in the area. I can't count the number of times I've had a cop dispatch a hit by car (that others have hit). They usually go for a head shot. The one I picked up two weeks ago was hind end paralyzed, cop stood behind and one quick shot to the head dispatched the deer. I also agree with what your cop said about if its running around, it's fine. Lots of tripod deer from car accidents or hunters. The only bad tripod I saw was last year. It lived in Minocqua by the hospital and got hit again, injuring a second leg. Now it was in bad shape and wasting away. The cop followed it until he got a good shot and put it out of its misery. Like someone else said, if yours is surviving on three, it's fine.
If you're in the Eagle River area, do you know about the wolf/wolves in the Hwy. G area that was stalking the kids in the backyard? It attacked their golden retriever who ran out to protect the kids.
I never go into the woods without a gun, NEVER. And like someone else said, the bears don't bother us. They're hunted here and are used to humans as predators. Unlike the wolves who are becoming acclimated to human activity and are not hunted. Hence, they become more bold and teach their young the same. Instead of just taking bear dogs, they now come into yards and take pets.
Now lets see if I can attach a pic of my 'pet coyote'.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 119

stickbow95

Avoid FMJ ammo...that might get ya a ticket from the Warden.

LR Yote

I shouldn't have used the word "non-expanding" when I referred to loads for the .45. I should have said cast lead FN. Yes, Jacketed, non expanding would be a no no.

I don't have a need for a .22-250. I use a .223 pistol;) I agree however about the .22 LR and WMR. They will get it done but it's nice to be able to reach out there if you have to. My brother likes the .308 too. It's plenty versatile.

I'm going to have to look into this geocaching thing, sounds interesting.

hardballer

Thanks for a lot of great info... Very interesting thread. I live about 30 yards from the Mississippi in Buffalo County and out my back door have seen coyotes, twice seen a gray wolf, once a black bear, once a bob cat and many deer, more raccoon than you can shake a stick at as well as eagles, hawks, ducks, geese and on rare occasion, the odd drunk or goblin with nefarious intent.

The coyotes and dog packs are becoming a problem, but that's about it. I am always armed with the .45 but a shotty would be a good addition for night time carry.

Hardballer out!

LR Yote 312

Yote pelts in prime were gettin $75-$100 this past season.

I never shot anything with a .45 r n,swc or hollow point....I cant imagine it bein
pretty....

It will either be skinned out or gutted out when ya go to pick it up.

I had one get up and run on me using 12ga 3-1/2 Tungeston Iron BB.
15-20 yrds. Mod Choke. Neck/shoulder shot.

Lotta guys like OO Buck.

LR Yote

Last edited:

MR Redenck

HIt it in the head with a hammer, drag it in the backyard and cut em up into little steakes.
Wash off the excess blood and roll the meat in flower. Throw the fixins in a hot pan of grease and chicken fry.
Problem solved in the most tastful manner! :lol:

1FASTC4

You did right calling the cops. The DNR doesn't show up unless a law is being broken and they don't do injured deer unless they are available and in the area. I can't count the number of times I've had a cop dispatch a hit by car (that others have hit). They usually go for a head shot. The one I picked up two weeks ago was hind end paralyzed, cop stood behind and one quick shot to the head dispatched the deer. I also agree with what your cop said about if its running around, it's fine. Lots of tripod deer from car accidents or hunters. The only bad tripod I saw was last year. It lived in Minocqua by the hospital and got hit again, injuring a second leg. Now it was in bad shape and wasting away. The cop followed it until he got a good shot and put it out of its misery. Like someone else said, if yours is surviving on three, it's fine.
If you're in the Eagle River area, do you know about the wolf/wolves in the Hwy. G area that was stalking the kids in the backyard? It attacked their golden retriever who ran out to protect the kids.
I never go into the woods without a gun, NEVER. And like someone else said, the bears don't bother us. They're hunted here and are used to humans as predators. Unlike the wolves who are becoming acclimated to human activity and are not hunted. Hence, they become more bold and teach their young the same. Instead of just taking bear dogs, they now come into yards and take pets.
Now lets see if I can attach a pic of my 'pet coyote'.

Ahh, I was hoping to hear from you about this. I didn't know about the wolves but that just confirms a thought I had about our back yard. There's enough clear area that I could fence it in and there would be plenty of room for the kids to play. Yes, wolves can jump fences but they wouldn't jump a fence to kill something they couldn't haul back over the fence. I know they are protected but if I see a wolf stalking my kids I'm gonna shoot it... bury it in the yard and never mention it to anyone.

Coyotes are a similar problem in AZ. They have no fear of man so they roam the neighborhoods eating out of garbage cans and killing pets. They aren't protected but few people bother to hunt them and they are quite populous.

LR Yote 312

HIt it in the head with a hammer, drag it in the backyard and cut em up into little steakes.
Wash off the excess blood and roll the meat in flower. Throw the fixins in a hot pan of grease and chicken fry.
Problem solved in the most tastful manner! :lol:

I sure hope he's talkin about venison....

LR Yote

Resdon111

After hiking in numerous remote locations I carry a PLB unit.

Way more likely to take a bad fall or have a medical emergency. Last thing I want to deal with is a situation like being stuck 5 miles out with broken leg rolled down into a ravine where no one can find me! Gives me the willy's just thinking about it.

Keep it up, you'll make my job a lot easier. I'm one of the guys that will come looking for you if you activate that PLB and your chances of being found increase dramatically.