Thread: Foothills Trail Pierce County Parks - No Firearms

Gig Harbor, Washington, USA

Foothills Trail Pierce County Parks - No Firearms

For the first time I found an example of a violation of state pre-emption. I'm rather hoping that it hasn't been discovered and posted here before - kind of like being the first to spot a comet.

I was looking at info on the Foothills Trail, which evidently is under the jurisdiction of Pierce County Parks & Recreation, and under the rules it states, "No firearms, fireworks, or open fires are allowed."

Here's the link:

At that page you can also just make out the rules, including the firearm prohibition, on a photo of a park sign.
    Last edited by alienbogey; 03-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Snohomish County, Washington, USA
    When you discover a violation, the rule is you have to initiate the process of getting it corrected. Get to work!

Tacoma, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by geojohn View Post
    When you discover a violation, the rule is you have to initiate the process of getting it corrected. Get to work!
    True... but anyway, I would just ignore the sign, maybe they can't afford a new one yet ... There is no way I'm leaving my pistol in the parking lot of a park, no way...

Central South Sound

No Comet, but please follow up

Nice catch....they still must be working on sign conversions...

You do not need to worry about the signage and may carry in any legal manner.

But please contact Kent and let him know about the improper signage.....he's the guy with parks to get it changed. He's a good guy, and supported us to get the rule changed last November.

Thanks JT:

I will pass your Thanks on to Susan, as far as the rules sign changes we have be covering the firearm language since back in 2008 I think we have made the majority on the changes by now. However if you find any signs that need to be fixed please let me know and I'll get someone out to make the modifications.

Last edited by jt59; 03-23-2011 at 04:12 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Whatcom County
    We love to see pictures of people open carrying next to no fire arm signs....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)