• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stockton UOC story just sharing. 3rd post.

incvoid

Friends mom passed yesterday at 1p.m. Throwing a "car wash" and asking people for donations, 2-3 hours into it sheriffs showed up I guess they got the MWG calls.

I didn't bother to store my firearm, I just left it on me and holding the car wash sign trying to get people to donate or get their car washed to put his mom in the ground.

One was in a car in front of me, looked at him, went back to sign waving, lights flash, get yelled at from behind, "hands on head", get told walk towards him, I said facing you or away from you. Cuffed, told the sheriffs deputy(I forget his actual rank) my firearm on right hip, mags on left hip, it's a serpa holster hit the button tab. Told him I'm just out here trying to raise donation money with the rest of the people out here for my friends moms burial.

Multi tool on my belt was left, he asked if I thought it was a good idea to be carrying out here. I told him, " I can...I really don't wish to talk about it". I got kinda tongue tied. I'm not gonna "battle wits" with a sheriff's department person, when they are just responding to concerned peoples(uninformed) calls. I just wish it was more publicly accepted practice.
He said I was being cooperative, un-cuffed me. I stayed where they stood me. Apologized to my friend for disturbing the car wash.

He asked about the guns condition, asked where I shoot after talking about some problems I get sometimes, asked me the recoil. I told him I'm not a big shooter, both agreed I probably limp wrist.

I went to my friends house, locked up my firearm(always keep a firearms case with me), went back to sign waving.

In my few experiences with the S.J. sheriffs they always seem cautious and professional. I like that, would seem they do a better job. The only time they seem friendly or unfriendly is when they offer advice and always say it is "advice".

It just sucks that I wasted about 10 minutes of their time and 10 minutes when cars could of been donating or pulling in to be washed :(. The weeks weather outlook doesn't look to be helping either.

I'm of the opinion that arguing with our sheriffs/police is of no good unless it trickles up the chain to the Sheriff/CLEO. I just wish they could tell the person that called that it was a legal carry. They do their jobs, I carry, it's left for the rest of "the people" to make their opinion and see their rights.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
It just sucks that I wasted about 10 minutes of their time and 10 minutes when cars could of been donating or pulling in to be washed :(.

How the police choose to spend their time is entirely their decision. It is not your fault that the police decided to burn taxpayer money investigating a non-crime.

At some point, officers and 911 dispatch will have to be trained to identify the difference between someone lawfully open carrying and a real man-with-a-gun call and respond appropriately. Law enforcement in open carry states arent obliged to respond to every call reporting a holstered firearm, and it should be no different here.

Staypuff578

This is very strange, in the three years I open carried in Stockton, the Sheriff (lived out of the city jurisdiction) never gave me a hard time like this. What area did this happen in, I'm originally from East Stockton off Fremont street in "oakeyville". Going back to visit the end of April through the beginning of may, i'd like to see if things have changed much as far as the LEO's outlook on open carry in my area.

incvoid

no problems

I don't consider the police a problem. They probably didn't realize I was with the rest of the "friends and families" doing the carwash.

Wilson and Alpine area. I forgot how close the school is and how late they get out.

I don't much like calling the east side of 99 "oakeyville". But I don't goto the corner stores much either or have many friends around too far. The only reason I don't have any "oakeyville" occurences is because my friends live houses down from me. The less stories with law enforcement the better. They know people open carry, they know people illegally carry, they gotta sort it out.

In S.J. is it folk and berryhill who I would write a letter to showing I support open carry and would like pro concealed carry legislation?

Staypuff578

I'm with you there, i'm not a fan of calling it "oakeyville" but being bored and raised there it kinda grew on me.

I'm not actually positive about who you would write, but i'm sure if you ask around it would be easy to find out.

Born2Lose

I went to my friends house, locked up my firearm(always keep a firearms case with me), went back to sign waving.

Why? If the Sheriff apologized and left why did you go lock up your pistol? How someone "feels" about me being armed doesn't concern me..however the feeling i would have after being mugged, beaten, jumped, shot, etc. concerns me greatly.

Last edited:

incvoid

For them.

I do it to show that I am cooperative with them (Sheriffs dept), above and beyond what the law says, that's about it. Like I said the only reason I left it on me was cause we just...jump started the car wash out of nowhere. Where's captain hindsight when I need him lol.

I should have kept it on me. The person that called may have went back by that intersection and seen that what I was doing was indeed legal, went and wondered why.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I forgot how close the school is and how late they get out.

Based on your "and how late they get out" comment I take it that you assume it makes a difference how late schools get out. It doesn't. If it is midnight in July you still can't open carry in a school zone.

moonbootmatt

If it is midnight in July you still can't open carry in a school zone.

Is this true? Not arguing, just curious.

What about the language at 626(c)(2):
"Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the
following places during regular school hours or within 60 minutes
before or after the schoolday or 60 minutes before or after a
school-sponsored activity at the schoolsite:....."

So what is this referring to?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Is this true? Not arguing, just curious.

What about the language at 626(c)(2):
"Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the
following places during regular school hours or within 60 minutes
before or after the schoolday or 60 minutes before or after a
school-sponsored activity at the schoolsite:....."

So what is this referring to?

It is a definition that isnt a part of 626.9 otherwise known as the "Gun Free School Zone Act of 1995".

mjones

Simply reiterating what C3 said.

626 Safe School Zones and 626.9 Gun Free School Zones do not interact with each other.

Born2Lose

Naturally! Further idiocy. We wouldn't want to endanger those empty school zones at ANY hour... regardless if no one is there. :banghead:

Well what if our precious little ones were having a recital at the school after hours or on a weekend. Surely if a firearm passed by at 999' away then all the puppies in the world would die!
You don't want all the puppies to die do you? Puppy killer!!

I could possibly see the reasoning of the GFSZ in tacking on further penalties for a crime committed in the area but the sheer act of otherwise legally carrying a firearm through a GFSZ shouldn't be a crime by itself.