• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus firearms

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Do have any first hand experience with Taurus firearms? I own three, each has hundreds of rounds through them with no problem. Also before you post a video supporting your claim, you should read the comments below it. I read the first 20 or so and every single one of them disagreed with the review. Just my thoughts...

hit or miss...

these guns are hit and miss.. that tells me the quality control isn't good. I have a revolver that's good. A local gun shop don't sell them anymore due to poor quality control as a result of mass production.

Sounds like to me that some days the job gets done and some days it doesn't.

You wanna plink, fine deal with junk, you want to risk your life on it, fine do what you will. If I would have known about taurus before I bought my 66 I woulldn't have.

The bottom line is they are hit and miss. Guess I got a hit.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

And I'll put my 2cents in, that through I personally have never had any issue with any Taurus in my household. /shrug

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I hated the crap out of Taurus for every one of their guns I ever had the unpleasantness of using. Never had one fail, but they always had crap trigger pull and bad ergonomics. Bleh. It made me think of a Jennings with a better finish. They all just felt so 'wrong' in my hands. It made me feel like I had a booger on my finger I couldn't remove.

But I picked up a PT1911AR and fell in love. Kimber for 1/3 the price. All the bells and whistles built-in. Solid and smooth as you can ask for. I love it. Possibly the best gun purchase I have ever made.

She is parked on my belt as we speak.

Brands don't mean anything.

Last edited:

markm

I could be a Taurus owner soon.

I hated the crap out of Taurus for every one of their guns I ever had the unpleasantness of using. Never had one fail, but they always had crap trigger pull and bad ergonomics. Bleh. It made me think of a Jennings with a better finish. They all just felt so 'wrong' in my hands.

But I picked up a PT1911AR and fell in love. Kimber for 1/3 the price. All the bells and whistles built-in. Solid and smooth as you can ask for. I love it. Possibly the best gun purchase I have ever made.

She is parked on my belt as we speak.

Brands don't mean anything.

Hey ixtow,

I agree with you.

I have had issues with S&W pistols as well. The S&W quality is now much better.

I was inspecting a Taurus 44 the other day. The cylinder release was not fitted correctly to the frame. If I used a little downward pressure, the cylinder released, if I did not apply downward pressure, the cylinder would not release.

My gunsmith/dealer said that sometimes there are some minor tuning issues that are resolved by him or by Taurus, and quickly.

As I wrote before, I had to send a S&W back to the factory for rework due to poor workmanship.

As for my decision: I am leaning toward the model 629-6 with a six inch barrel. The Taurus 44 is longer, heavier, and nose heavy; however, the 44 has a ported barrel and it is $250 less.

I handload; therefore, for normal plinking or light skinned hunting, the 44 special round will be a comfortable and adequate round. For Wyoming and Montana grizzlies, who choose to attack, I can shoot 1000 foot pound 240 Grain flat point bullets. For Alaska grizz I can up that to 1200 foot pounds. I don't need to shoot the full load magnums regularly.

Bottom line: If the Taurus' barrel was 1 inch shorter and the gun a little lighter, I would jump ALL OVER THE TAURUS! As for the recoil and muzzle flip of the 629-6 without muzzle porting...oh well, I will feed the 629-6 a diet of 450 to 850 foot pound handloads!

markm

DevinWKuska

these guns are hit and miss.. that tells me the quality control isn't good. I have a revolver that's good. A local gun shop don't sell them anymore due to poor quality control as a result of mass production.

Sounds like to me that some days the job gets done and some days it doesn't.

You wanna plink, fine deal with junk, you want to risk your life on it, fine do what you will. If I would have known about taurus before I bought my 66 I woulldn't have.

The bottom line is they are hit and miss. Guess I got a hit.

I would question the OP's term for junk guns when it would seem they have little experience in Taurus firearms. Yes I have heard of people have a few slight problems, but I myself own 3 and no issues.

I have issues with 2 XDs I bought in the past. Chronic jamming/misfeeding. Does that mean XDs are junk and your rolling the dice with your life if you own one... Well in that case you better manufacture your own gun friend. I have yet to hear of a firearm company who has 99%+ perfect without flaw firearms. I would just encourage you to give Taurus a chance. If you own one and have an issue send it back to Taurus. I am sure anyone who has had any issues will agree Taurus has about the best customer service I have run into yet! Better then glock IMO:(

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm still trying to figure out the point of the thread.

I open the thread and all I see are links to another forum and youtube.

Freedom First

Taurus?

Just look at the avatar...
<--------------

Had my Taurus PT-945SS for over a year now. Never an issue. Trust my life to it? I sure do. Daily.

But hey, buy what works for you. You "need" a supergun? Buy one. Got four kids and a mortgage? Buy a used Taurus.

I understand the need to have opinions but there's no need to trashtalk about a manufacturer making some very popular firearms right here in the US. My 945 is originally from Brazil (DOB 1994) and my new TCP was just born in Miami!

Both my Taurus handguns eat whatever I feed them and I know if I ever have an issue, they go to FL for a quick fix and all I pay is one way shipping. I also own a NAA Guardian and it broke after just 70 rounds and had to go back to the factory. They fixed it up, sent it back tested and it's working fine now.

No junk allowed here... :)

my pt92 has thousands of rounds thru it with zero problems...

hit.... there's bound to be a miss sometime.. but oh duh.... this is a carry site and noone would carry junk..silly me. Maybe I posted on the wrong site. Or maybe the meaning of hit and miss isn't understood.

Last edited:

Twiztid Angel

We are a Taurus family and we love ours....NEVER have had one problem with Hubby's guns and so far no problems with my Judge. Hubby has had the oldest one for about 5 years and is very happy with its performance.

The Judge was originally put down by hoards of people all over the net but it they actually took the time to shoot the proper ammo in the gun they would quickly find out that the Judge is accurate and keeps a tight pattern when using the home and personal defense rounds made for the gun and not some cheap buckshot. It received a lot of flack but I know of at least 5 former haters who now own the gun after shooting mine:D

It's the semi's that have the most problems

We are a Taurus family and we love ours....NEVER have had one problem with Hubby's guns and so far no problems with my Judge. Hubby has had the oldest one for about 5 years and is very happy with its performance.

The Judge was originally put down by hoards of people all over the net but it they actually took the time to shoot the proper ammo in the gun they would quickly find out that the Judge is accurate and keeps a tight pattern when using the home and personal defense rounds made for the gun and not some cheap buckshot. It received a lot of flack but I know of at least 5 former haters who now own the gun after shooting mine:D

Not so much the revolvers. Although the shop I mentioned that does not sell Taurus anymore, mentioned that he had to send back Judges also.It has been the last year and a half that these problems have been arising. I can understand some ammo does shoot like crap in any gun and also causes malfuntions, so we have find the ammo that our guns like. My Taurus 66 shoots anything without malfunctioning.

My point to this thread is to make people aware that Taurus is not as consistant with QC. So it comes down to a choice of picking a gun that has a good reputation all around. I know a guy who shot a Ruger and the barrel blew off. He took the gun back to where he bought it. The shop called Ruger and talked to the "man" RUGER. His reply was, "are you OK?" Also he said the guy who built the gun no longer work for them. He got a new gun and a pocket pistol. So, there are porblems with all companies, BUT Taurus has ALOT of QC problems compared to most, and I for one can't see trusting a weak QC company just because SOME people have no problems with thier Tauruses.

As per the Ruger incident could have caused a law suit. And they rectified the problem, they fired the guy.

Would you trust a quack doctor to work on you just because 10 of your friends said they had no problem, and 5 had a problem? So the doctor did his job sometimes and other times, on monday morning, decided not to, that morning? This is a no brainer. Will most people test a gun for 1000 rounds before strapping it to thier hip and hit the beat?

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

worf.gif

Jeez, it's like someone took a Hi-Point bashing thread from a few months ago and replaced "Hi-Point" with "Taurus".

As has been said several times, every gun manufacturer has issues here and there. It seems like the OP has never used a Taurus himself, just listened to hearsay and is on a mini-crusade as a result of such hearsay. Or maybe he/she bought an expensive gun and is bitter that others have bought something similar for much cheaper?

Given the overwhelming number of Taurus owners who love their guns and have no issues whatsoever over thousands of rounds, I'd say the reliability numbers for Taurus are close to every other major manufacturer.

The... Last... Year... And... A... Half....... The qc has dropped off

worf.gif

Jeez, it's like someone took a Hi-Point bashing thread from a few months ago and replaced "Hi-Point" with "Taurus".

As has been said several times, every gun manufacturer has issues here and there. It seems like the OP has never used a Taurus himself, just listened to hearsay and is on a mini-crusade as a result of such hearsay. Or maybe he/she bought an expensive gun and is bitter that others have bought something similar for much cheaper?

Given the overwhelming number of Taurus owners who love their guns and have no issues whatsoever over thousands of rounds, I'd say the reliability numbers for Taurus are close to every other major manufacturer.

HERESAY???? Yeah OK... how would you know if I'm making this up? You want the phone number to the gun shop I was told about this? I tried to give to anohter guy and he didn't want to hear it. AWWW whatsa matta you aye?

hopnpop

I've been happy with my Taurus handguns. My first generation PT140 Millenium was a little clunky and took a few hundred rounds before I considered it reliable. Got in a money pinch and sold it. I missed it and later I'd bought a newer generation PT140 Millenium "Pro". It's fired probably around 3000 rounds now and never a single malfunction, no "break-in". It's not the most accurate thing out there for sure but I like it's size and weight and I'll be damned if it hasn't been 100% reliable and is plenty accurate for defensive situations. And just between you and I... it's even been dropped 3x now.

My wife had a Taurus 351 CIA, 38Spl that was reliable and pretty darn consistent. She didn't like the trigger poundage... but we couldn't lighten the trigger pull any more then a 1/2 pound without creating FTF's. Left the trigger original and sold it.....

And bought her a Taurus 709 "Slim" 9mm. Finally, an affordable auto that fit her little hand!! We haven't fired many rounds through it but I've been happy with it's performance and feel. Had a problem with one of the factory mags but Taurus replaced it quickly, free of charge.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
My only personal experience with them is my Rossi 462 (made by Taurus) 2" .357. It was half the price of a comparable GP100 or a Smith. It shoots great - even with full-power 125gr .357 Winchester Super-X & Remington Express cartridges. Would I rather have a 6-shot S&W snubbie? Yeah. Can I afford one right now? No. So a Rossi 462 it is, and I trust it :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Marco

SNIP
every gun manufacturer has issues here and there.
1+for the above post!!
OP, do you have any personal experience with a Taurus firearm failing?
If so, can you please enlighten us as to your negative experience.

Last edited: