• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT99 Carry Condition

shiiiion

I was just wondering what is the recommended carry condition of a Taurus PT99. I've heard carrying in Condition 1 could wear down the sear over time and cause problems. I've heard many times Condition 2 is the best choice for Beretta 92, and since the PT99 is a clone of the 92, I assumed it is also recommended for it..?

I normally carry in Condition 2 because as far as I know that's what I should be doing. Since I don't have a de-cocking feature on my early model 99 I'm a little sketched out having to manually ease the hammer down. THUS why I'm asking in the first place.

tcmech

I was just wondering what is the recommended carry condition of a Taurus PT99. I've heard carrying in Condition 1 could wear down the sear over time and cause problems. I've heard many times Condition 2 is the best choice for Beretta 92, and since the PT99 is a clone of the 92, I assumed it is also recommended for it..?

I normally carry in Condition 2 because as far as I know that's what I should be doing. Since I don't have a de-cocking feature on my early model 99 I'm a little sketched out having to manually ease the hammer down. THUS why I'm asking in the first place.

A beretta does not have the option for locked and cocked unlike the taurus. I have a taurus and when I carry it I usually have the hammer down and the safety engaged, but it does have the decock feature that your early model taurus does not have. I have never heard of a problem with the sear wearing with the guns being carried cocked and locked but I am sure that someone will be along shortly to answer your question about that.

I have to wonder though do you have the factory grips on your taurus? If the grips were replaced with after market beretta grips they may block the operation of the safety not allowing the decock feature to work. If I were you and the grips did not say taurus on them I would remove them and see if the safety lever would go down further and decock the gun.

j4l

I've a different model (800-series .45) , but I prefer to carry Condition 2., even though I can carry Condition 1 if desired, like I used to on 1911's.
With the 1911's you at least had the additional safety of the grip safety, but lacking such on these arms (which is one reason why I chose it), I prefer not to go C1.

Chambered round, hammer down, safety on should be fine. I've practiced with it enough that manually cocking it when drawn doesnt slow me down enough to worry about.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
When I've carried my 99 I carried decocked, it was before I trained on a 1911. I suggest cocked and locked whenever you cary an auto with that feature. I think the PT92/99 are superior to the Berettas, because the safety/decock is on the frame and manipulated just like the 1911.

It really depends on the user. The most important thing is training. You can carry an H&R .22 revolver. If you've trained well on it, you'll win a gunfight against a thug who handles a .45 Glock like he's seen on TV.

j4l

"It really depends on the user. The most important thing is training. You can carry an H&R .22 revolver. If you've trained well on it, you'll win a gunfight against a thug who handles a .45 Glock like he's seen on TV."

Concur-100%. Whatever the choice, whatever the features,etc. Practice with it will get you where you need to be. I've an old Raven .25. also. Most folks discount them out of hand. I've practiced well enough with it to be able to empty it into a playing card @ 25 meters while on the move. Despite all the rumors of being inaccurate, jamming, ineffective, etc.
Baloney. It's the practice-with ANY sidearm. Master it- with either hand, and in any mode of carry, Including Israeli-style.

shiiiion

sorry for the delayed response.

i have aftermarket grips on it. i don't really see the grips getting in the way of the safety but i have made up my mind up on just carrying it with one in the chamber, hammer down, safety on.

thanks for the help.

Freedom First

sorry for the delayed response.

i have aftermarket grips on it. i don't really see the grips getting in the way of the safety but i have made up my mind up on just carrying it with one in the chamber, hammer down, safety on.

thanks for the help.

This link is for a PT-99 but it shows the "standard" taurus frame decocker. It's the same on my PT-945 as well. So, just take off the left side grip and compare to these pictures. Have fun and carry yer gun!