• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun rights group" opposes open carry

jcizzle

The first section of my post was an e-mail to me from the OSA, my e-mail to them, which is posted at the bottom, is what prompted their reply.

I am in a continuing, civil discourse with Mr. Schuster from the OSA on their positions and actions associated with this bill and will post relevant portions as I can.

Rev. Jim

Sorry about that. Guess I jumped the gun on you a bit there. I apologize for not paying more thorough attention before I went off with my frustration of the excuses being used by our representatives and the ORA.:banghead:

JBURGII

Sorry about that. Guess I jumped the gun on you a bit there. I apologize for not paying more thorough attention before I went off with my frustration of the excuses being used by our representatives and the ORA.:banghead:

Oh no problem, I fully understand the frustrations associated with this issue. I engage in debate on huffingtonpost (voluntarily!!) all the time and force myself to wade through the frustration of illogical and emotional arguments just so I can practice my own positional skills... I check my blood pressure often.. lol

hrdware

A word from the author...

I heard an interview with Senator Russell (the Senate author of this bill) on the radio this morning. He is working with Rep Tibbs on this bill. They are looking at changing the age from 18 to 21 and adding in some training. The training would not be a permit like the CWL, but more like a hunter safety type course that shows you know the proper handling of a firearm and the open carry laws. He expects ORA to endorse the bill after these changes are made. He also expects it to pass the House Public Safety Committee and the House Floor. One downside to this bill is there would not be reciprocity. Open Carry would be for Oklahoma residents only.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I One downside to this bill is there would be reciprocity. Open Carry would be for Oklahoma residents only.

Can't figure out how these 2 sentences work together. Seems there might be a typo/omission there.

Do you mean that reciprocity would NOT allow OC by a permit holder from another state to OC? Reciprocity being an agreement where one state accepts the permit of another state as their own.

c45man

I know nothing of this organzation being from Pa. I am old enough though to understand the mentality of what I perceive to be a shooting organization of more traditional and older beliefs and thoughts on shooting and firearm ownership. We have an equivalant organization in Pa., which is a defacto open carry state due to no language that prohibits it.
This omission was not due to any support from the Pa. Rifle and Pistol Association which is an organization that basically fosters target shooting, hunting, and monitors proposed anti-gun ownership laws, in a general sense, within our state. Keep in mind, the concept of shall issue carry permit policies and laws are fairly new and such legislation was not fought for, by in large, by older firearm owners and especially hunters.
Have no fear, the old timers, like myself, are dying off and there is a totally new mentality regarding the uses and reasoning for firearms ownership by the upcoming generation who are much more vocal than their older counterparts

hrdware

Can't figure out how these 2 sentences work together. Seems there might be a typo/omission there.

Do you mean that reciprocity would NOT allow OC by a permit holder from another state to OC? Reciprocity being an agreement where one state accepts the permit of another state as their own.

Left out the important word *NOT*. There would not be reciprocity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know nothing of this organzation being from Pa. I am old enough though to understand the mentality of what I perceive to be a shooting organization of more traditional and older beliefs and thoughts on shooting and firearm ownership. We have an equivalant organization in Pa., which is a defacto open carry state due to no language that prohibits it.
This omission was not due to any support from the Pa. Rifle and Pistol Association which is an organization that basically fosters target shooting, hunting, and monitors proposed anti-gun ownership laws, in a general sense, within our state. Keep in mind, the concept of shall issue carry permit policies and laws are fairly new and such legislation was not fought for, by in large, by older firearm owners and especially hunters.
Have no fear, the old timers, like myself, are dying off and there is a totally new mentality regarding the uses and reasoning for firearms ownership by the upcoming generation who are much more vocal than their older counterparts

I am sure that being from PA., you are aware of PAFOA( http://www.pafoa.org/ ) They are very pro-active and an extremely effective group.