• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cars on college campus question

hvtopiwala

so i frequently drop and pickup my girlfriend from campus (university of florida), and i sometimes am carrying because i pick up/drop off while doing errands (which i do while carrying), so am i allowed to drive on the college campus while having a concealed firearm in the car and on my body? i am not exiting the vehicle just wondering if the firearm is allowed to be on college grounds

77zach

so i frequently drop and pickup my girlfriend from campus (university of florida), and i sometimes am carrying because i pick up/drop off while doing errands (which i do while carrying), so am i allowed to drive on the college campus while having a concealed firearm in the car and on my body? i am not exiting the vehicle just wondering if the firearm is allowed to be on college grounds

It cannot be on your body. It must be in the glovebox, even with a CWFL.

hvtopiwala

aite so basically just remove it and throw it in the glovebox and i should be good to go...thats what ive been doing, just making sure thats ok lol

hvtopiwala

one more quick question....

the other day i was concealed carrying and i was in the far back seat of an SUV (3rd row), and we were going out to eat. driver decided to take a short cut through campus...

i sat quietly and didnt mention i was concealed carrying or anything, and didnt want to start passing my gun through a car full of people to get it into the glove box, so my question to u is, how would you of handled this situation? what is the proper thing to do? if a cop happened to pull us over, and somehow found something that required them to check all of us in the vehicle and discovered i was carrying, did i just commit a crime?

77zach

one more quick question....

the other day i was concealed carrying and i was in the far back seat of an SUV (3rd row), and we were going out to eat. driver decided to take a short cut through campus...

i sat quietly and didnt mention i was concealed carrying or anything, and didnt want to start passing my gun through a car full of people to get it into the glove box, so my question to u is, how would you of handled this situation? what is the proper thing to do? if a cop happened to pull us over, and somehow found something that required them to check all of us in the vehicle and discovered i was carrying, did i just commit a crime?

Yes, you committed a "crime." You violated what the criminals who run the state are pleased to call the "law." I carried often when I went to UCF, especially because I didn't want to be disarmed going to and from the school.

hvtopiwala

hmmm....i guess next time ill have to speak up and tell them, "hey i have a gun, can i pass my loaded 1911 to the front of the car to be kept in the glovebox" giving it to passengers that have never handled or shot a gun before...wonder how that will turn out :/

Rick H

hmmm....i guess next time ill have to speak up and tell them, "hey i have a gun, can i pass my loaded 1911 to the front of the car to be kept in the glovebox" giving it to passengers that have never handled or shot a gun before...wonder how that will turn out :/

No. you would have them pull the car over and put the weapon in the glove box yourself.

Alude904

In florida you are not allowed to have a firearm on campus no matter where in the vehicle it is. So... As long as you know youre just passing through i would not say anything. Now if he decided to stop there and everyone out, i would say something.

rvrctyrngr

In florida you are not allowed to have a firearm on campus no matter where in the vehicle it is. So... As long as you know youre just passing through i would not say anything. Now if he decided to stop there and everyone out, i would say something.

That is unequivocally incorrect.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I actually researched my campus's weapon policy for this very reason. They actually go so far as to state (I paraphrase, thus an '~' approximate quote) ~"Florida statute 790.xx does permit anyone over 18 to have a concealed handgun in a vehicle if it is securely enclosed, but permits individual 'districts' and 'schools' to make policies prohibiting it on thier private parking lots. {campus name} counts as a 'school' under 790.xx and this policy is intended to prohibit such storage."
Anyone have some suggestions on how I can go about encouraging them to drop their opt-out policy?

77zach

Incorrect. Glove box carry allowed. However, students can get in trouble with the school for violating their POLICY.

rvrctyrngr

I actually researched my campus's weapon policy for this very reason. They actually go so far as to state (I paraphrase, thus an '~' approximate quote) ~"Florida statute 790.xx does permit anyone over 18 to have a concealed handgun in a vehicle if it is securely enclosed, but permits individual 'districts' and 'schools' to make policies prohibiting it on thier private parking lots. {campus name} counts as a 'school' under 790.xx and this policy is intended to prohibit such storage."
Anyone have some suggestions on how I can go about encouraging them to drop their opt-out policy?

Phoenix, they are misquoting the statute on purpose for their own ends. The statute does not say 'districts' or 'schools', it says 'school districts'. Colleges and Universities are NOT 'school districts', and therefore cannot opt out of the 790.25 exemption, and they know this, they just think you don't. They can kick you out, but it is still not illegal.

Alude904

You guys are correct. According to statute 790.06 it states you cannot "carry into" a school, college, event, etc etc. And youre also right that it is then up to the school to set their own policy on whether you can keep it in your glove box on the campus. Im uneducated on what schools allow this and what dont but im assuming most do not. And i garauntee you if you ask any officer they will tell you that you cant have a gun on campus at all even in your glove box. I know that because thats why i thought you couldnt, because several misinformed leos told me that. But now I know!!!

~*'Phoenix'*~

Phoenix, they are misquoting the statute on purpose for their own ends. The statute does not say 'districts' or 'schools', it says 'school districts'. Colleges and Universities are NOT 'school districts', and therefore cannot opt out of the 790.25 exemption, and they know this, they just think you don't. They can kick you out, but it is still not illegal.
from their weapon policy page:
"
Florida State Statutes
Section 790.25(5), Florida Statutes, authorizes people 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon in a private conveyance for self defense if the weapon is securely encased and not readily accessible for immediate use. Section 790.115(2)(a), Florida Statutes prohibits possessing weapons or firearms on school property. Although Section 790.115(2)(a)3, Florida Statutes, provides that a person may carry a firearm in a vehicle pursuant to Statute 790.25(5), it provides that schools may provide policies prohibiting this exception.
Nova Southeastern University is a “school,” as defined under Section 790.115(2)(a), Florida Statutes. This policy is intended to prohibit the exception for carrying firearms in a vehicle on University property pursuant to Sections 790.115(2)(a) and 790.25(5), Florida Statutes."
Yeah, the statute says a school district may make such a published policy, but not a school itself. Anyone know which districts do and don't?
I know it's possible to 'get away with it' because it's wholly unenforcable without committing a crime themselves, so...
But I'd rather make a point of proving they're wrong and make them change it than 'get away with' doing it

~*'Phoenix'*~

i thought there was a law that no1 could restrict you from carrying a firearm in your car...am i wrong?

Except for school districts (only for purposes of student/parking privileges), because, you know, schools are like, you know, the sacred temple of everything holy and inviolable and must never be 'threatened' by dangerous and evil weapons. We've got to make sure at least they're safe from the NRA-pistol-packing-paranoid-gun-lobby...
I've seen that my angst against anti-weapon-idiocy is shared here so, yeah...

A district can do this, but not individual schools, as they try to claim, and only for students, not for everyone, as they also try to claim. I'm trying to find if the Broward county district has done this evil deed...

~*'Phoenix'*~

correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 234/517 would fix this, right? Guaranteeing the right to car carry anywhere you have a legal right to be?

rvrctyrngr

from their weapon policy page:
"
Florida State Statutes
Section 790.25(5), Florida Statutes, authorizes people 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon in a private conveyance for self defense if the weapon is securely encased and not readily accessible for immediate use. Section 790.115(2)(a), Florida Statutes prohibits possessing weapons or firearms on school property. Although Section 790.115(2)(a)3, Florida Statutes, provides that a person may carry a firearm in a vehicle pursuant to Statute 790.25(5), it provides that schools may provide policies prohibiting this exception.
Nova Southeastern University is a “school,” as defined under Section 790.115(2)(a), Florida Statutes. This policy is intended to prohibit the exception for carrying firearms in a vehicle on University property pursuant to Sections 790.115(2)(a) and 790.25(5), Florida Statutes."
Yeah, the statute says a school district may make such a published policy, but not a school itself. Anyone know which districts do and don't?
I know it's possible to 'get away with it' because it's wholly unenforcable without committing a crime themselves, so...
But I'd rather make a point of proving they're wrong and make them change it than 'get away with' doing it

All the ammo you need is within the statute itself. Like I said, they can make any 'policy' they want, and kick your arse off campus for any reason they want...that does not make having a gun 'securely encased or not readily accessible' in your vehicle illegal. Yes, they can punish you school-wise, but you have not committed a crime.

There's a thread around here somewhere about school districts, but I don't have time to find it right now. Happy hunting!