• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

email address for the Mayor of Maplewood

cash50

You said , "I say moron, because, despite their intentions, I have absolutely no reason to think that it would, in fact, advance the cause of open carry". Not only did that sentence make all your former English teachers mad, you implied that morons were people who didn't act in compliance with your standards of what should be done.

So to answer my question to you, which you didn't answer, yes that's what you think.

Also, I asked if not open carrying is your plan to get them to allow us to open carry? You didn't answer. How unusual. Instead, you seem very concerned about the about the appearance of the actions of people gathered "there", and to police responding innapropriately. Now in the course of two posts you've called police morons. Not only are they carrying guns where the appearance of the actions of the people gathered frowns upon such things, they also respond in a manner not in accordance with your accepted standards and are, by your logic, morons. But at least you aren't one.

I offered another chance to respond to the "if,then" scenario. You declined. Great. So only a moron would carry into a government meeting. You say it's against the law, so tell me what the penalty is for simply carrying into this meeting? And spare me anything pertaining to staying after being asked to leave.

Another interesting note some morons may want to be enlightened on is your implication that diplomacy can only be achieved through unarmed people.

And thank you for offering the olive branch here, giving your blessing on my freedom to do as I please and carry as I see fit. Given the tone of all my previous posts, I am relieved to finally be able to be permitted my freedom. I truly hope, and doubt, that you understand this message.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
If I may settle the moron debate so we can move along to more important things like OPEN CARRY RIGHTS I will gladly accept the moron title for unjustifiably attacking cash50 based solely on my own mistake and misunderstanding a few months ago. There you have it, LMTD is the resident moron, I request you say it like the dude in the green shirt from the movie animal house.

Thank you,

Openly carrying a firearm in a legal manner is a positive thing when done with class and polite behavior.
Wearing a tee shirt that clearly defines you support open carry is a positive thing when done with class and polite behavior.

It is called ADVERTISEMENT and winning support requires such.

Doing either while saying inappropriate things can not only hurt the message, they can be twisted into something they never were meant to be at all.

Since I have assisted in the moron debate by claiming the title, could we possibly work on improving my letter and sending more? We will not win this if we are busy fussing over trivial words and right now on coptalk we are all being called morons and worse, we need to change that image.

Thank you for consideration.

cshoff

As a reminder, you probably don't actually want to CC to the meeting, RsMO 571.107.1.(5). cshoff will tell you that it's perfectly fine, but we don't need another publicity hit. The shirt is very clever, and I like it, but I'm not sure it wouldn't do more harm than good.

I have NEVER said that it is "perfectly fine" to carry into a city council meeting. Ever. And I challenge you to find a post where I did.....

I will wait for you to either retract your above statement, or apologize for the false accusation.

For the record, nothing in Missouri state law prohibits a valid permit holder from carrying a concealed firearm into a city council meeting. Nothing. In fact, the word "prohibited" can't even be found in the relevant statutes. But notwithstanding that fact, it doesn't necessarily mean it's prudent to carry into a city council meeting in every/any situation.

Sorry for my part in derailing this thread, but I thought it necessary to defend myself from baseless accusations.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry for my part in derailing this thread, but I thought it necessary to defend myself from baseless accusations.

NP hoff,

Can you take a look at the boycott thread, there is some confusion on the 51% rule and I have a weak response from hotshots I want to get a second opinon on.

kcgunfan

First, it's counterproductive to mock my grammar. I certainly haven't done that to you. And, it's not likely to produce a rise out of me. So, put the red pen away, and let's talk like adults. First, I will respond to your new objections, and then I will try answer the question you think I am avoiding.

I apologize for calling the police morons by inference. That was not my intent and, I don't think anyone but you read it that way. Actually, I don't think you read it that way either, you were just looking for something to complain about. But, let me remove that from your list of objections to my post. Anyone that is authorized by law to carry into a City Council meeting is not necessarily a moron for doing so. I will try to be much more explicit in the future, instead of assuming. Is that to your satisfaction?

Yes, I do stand by my assertion that a member of the general public carrying a firearm into the Maplewood City Council meeting on April 12th is a moron. I have not generalized it to anything else. I'm explicitly limiting it to this one time and this one place. I never said to a governmental meeting. I've merely said this one. Please don't imply something I didn't say.

You also say that I said it's against the law to carry into a governmental meeting. I never said any such thing. But, let me answer your question about the penalty. And, I'm not going to give you the line about staying after being asked to leave. If you are caught with a concealed weapon in a City Council meeting, and do not have a valid CCW endorsement, you are in violation of RsMO 571.030.1.(8). The violation for breaking that statue is in RsMO 571.030.7, and it's a class D felony. if you are referring to someone with a valid CCW endorsement, I once said that it was "technically not illegal" and once said that it is prohibited. I even said that I get the free first strike because of my CCW endorsement. As far as I know, I haven't misrepresented the law for valid CCW endorsement holders in any way. I was a little sloppy about not making that explicit in my first response to you. I apologize for that. Again, I think you're trying to pick nits here, but I can be more proper with my phrasing. In the future, I'll be sure to use the term "not authorized." Is that to your satisfaction?

I believe that taking a firearm into a location where it is not wanted will tend to create more ill will than good will. In this specific case (and most other cases), I can't see how it would bring good will to people with an anti-firearm mentality. And that is regardless of whether or not it's strictly legal to have a firearm there. And I believe that we are going to need a lot more good will than ill will to move gun laws in this state to a footing more proper with the Second Amendment. The entire crux of my argument on this issue rests on the fact that I believe taking a firearm to this particular meeting will produce more ill will than good will. I certainly do not have an issue with someone who disagrees with me on this issue. But, I'm trying to explain why I think it will not be a good idea.

Again, all that I have said is that there is a couple hour period where it might not be a good idea to carry a firearm, and provided reasons why I think that. I have never advocated not carrying in general. Please do not cast me as someone opposed to Open Carry. That would not be so.

From what I understand, the question that I failed to answer was: how will unarmed people will convince the City Council to not ban armed people. That's a reasonable question. And, my answer was not explicit as it could have been, you are correct about that. Let me answer it directly. I will do so by telling you what I think is at least possible to happen.

Let's hypothesize that we've gotten the most eloquent public speaker ever. And a small army of speechwriters has written a speech for him that has the best ever rationale for not banning OC. Let's say that no rational person is able to ignore the force of the speech.

That speaker is either going to be unarmed, or will be armed. Furthermore, if he (not assuming the speaker is a male, just using the proper pronoun in colloquial English, trying to avoid your red pen is wearing me out...) is armed he will either be known to be armed (presumably by open carrying) or thought to be not armed (by concealed carrying.) Let's examine those 3 scenarios one by one.

Unarmed speakers will be treated as normal people interested in the City Council's business, no matter which side of the issue they fall on. They get no special treatment, either pro or con.

Armed speakers which are not thought to be armed, will be treated as unarmed citizens. A firearm that you cannot see cannot make the point you apparently feel should be made.

A speaker that make their carry status known, will be in a location that their CCW endorsement does "not authorize" their concealed firearm. And, if he doesn't have a CCW endorsement, he has a significant problem.

With the current perceived bias on the City Council, the speaker will most likely be asked to leave. If he isn't asked to leave, my whole house of cards partially collapses. So, here's the first place I can have my entire argument blown to smithereens. Would anyone like to bet that a person known to be armed would be permitted to enter or stay in the meeting? Make sure you factor in the 2008 Kirkwood City Council shooter.

So, the known armed citizen goes to their vehicle, disarms, and comes back in to rejoin the meeting (assuming they're allowed back in). I don't know if they can exclude people, but if they can, I bet they would. If our formerly known armed speaker is blocked from the meeting, we will never hear his words of wisdom. So, it did not help at all. QED.

Let's assume he's permitted reentry. This formerly armed speaker goes to the podium, and presents the most eloquent defense of open carry ever. The speech is recorded, and put on YouTube. Everyone on OCDO listens to it, and has nothing but praise for the speech and speaker. Unfortunately, none of this matters. It's the aldermen and Mayor that count.

But, what's going through the aldermen's heads? As I said, no rational person could remain unswayed by the force of the arguments. But remember, they seem to have a predisposition that is anti-OC. And, there's no way they're not thinking about the fact that there was an armed person in their chambers, and it will remind them of the shooting in Kirkwood 3 years ago. I would suspect that it would go a little like this. "Well gee, this person made a great case to continue to permit OC in our fair little city. And, he's totally convinced me to stop kicking puppies. But, he came to OUR council room, carrying a gun. And the police told him to leave, evidently they were concerned about him. I'll give him credit for being consistent with his principles, but he could have killed me, just like Kirkwood. We certainly can't permit this dangerous behavior to continue. I have to vote to prohibit Open Carry."

Now, let's say that the speaker was unarmed, but there was gallery full of armed individuals that were disarmed and readmitted. The alderman's internal dialog would be a little different, but I believe it would reach the same conclusion.

Again, I could be wrong here also. It may be possible to win the aldermen with a predisposition against open carry over with a sufficiently good speech, or with a gallery of armed citizens. But, I think a lesser quality speech would accomplish the same effect, if there wasn't a concern about the speaker or the gallery being armed in a City Council meeting.

At least that's how I see it playing out in my mind. Evidently, you have a different vision in yours. I tell you what. Explain what you see happening at the April 12th meeting if we all (or just some) march in with firearms on our hips. Tell me how you see it playing out. Then we can discuss both of our visions.

kcgunfan

I have NEVER said that it is "perfectly fine" to carry into a city council meeting. Ever. And I challenge you to find a post where I did.....

I will wait for you to either retract your above statement, or apologize for the false accusation.

For the record, nothing in Missouri state law prohibits a valid permit holder from carrying a concealed firearm into a city council meeting. Nothing. In fact, the word "prohibited" can't even be found in the relevant statutes. But notwithstanding that fact, it doesn't necessarily mean it's prudent to carry into a city council meeting in every/any situation.

You're fine. I will retract my statement. You never said it was perfectly fine to carry a gun into a City Council meeting. As a matter of fact, we've never discussed City Council meetings ever. Our biggest discussions have been on posted no gun locations and city owned buildings. For the record, you and I both agree on the same thing. it's legal for a CCW endorsement holder to carry a firearm (as far as I know, there is no requirement for concealment) into a City Council meeting.

What I was trying to clumsily say was really a contrast in our attitudes towards open carry. In previous conversations, you seemed to take a position that you should go ahead and do what you want until someone calls you on it, because it's not illegal. My general position is that you should obey the intent of the law, and not wait to get called on it.

cash50

kcgunfan....

It wasn't the grammar as much as the...oh well.

My post was meant to entertain (myself) and parody yours.

I see you've learned nothing though, as you're assuming you know what the intent of the lawmakers was. Perhaps their intent - and this is just me here - was to make these "restricted places" to make all the yuppies, you included, feel really swell about there being no guns there, because they "shouldn't" be there. Mission accomplished (George Bush on the warship style). And the real intent: to allow us to carry into those places, and keeping the more discerning individuals armed, and happy, in the yuppie zones. I'm just spitballin' though.

And my final writing lesson to you: good writing is like a skirt, it's gotta be long enough to cover everything up, but short enough to keep it interesting. In other words, there's no way I'm reading all of that.

(this was another entertaining parody)

mspgunner

Since Maplewood is on my boycott list I will not be attending/did not attend.

You are not going to go and speak against this? It is not in force yet? Are the OC folks in our area going to just "fold" in the face of hearing? If so you can kiss open carry good bye!
It's your "right" under the constitution. If you are not willing to stand by your rights on this, what are you doing on this forum? Sorry!

REALteach4u

Two important things I see here that need addressed.

1. Will Maplewood be able to get an OC ban instated prior to the April 12th meeting or is that meeting clearly to be about instating such a ban?

2. Has anyone contacted a media outlet to get them on-site for that meeting? If not, how can this be done?

REALteach4u

(snip)
Then again, if OC becomes extinct, then I'll CCW. Carry is carry, just a wee bit more inconvenient when you CCW, especially during float season.

:shocker:

Do my eyes deceive me? That's not like you at all, I'm used to you standing your ground firmly, so don't you dare lay down on this without a fight! (just don't say you wear a speedo, just don't say you wear a speedo)

I agree 100%. Options (freedom), options (freedom), options (freedom)...and the fact that the US Constitution does not give ANYONE the authority to regulate how/where firearms can be carried. At least not in the 2nd Amendment that I've read. But I digress. :banghead:

Last edited:

mspgunner

Two important things I see here that need addressed.

1. Will Maplewood be able to get an OC ban instated prior to the April 12th meeting or is that meeting clearly to be about instating such a ban?

2. Has anyone contacted a media outlet to get them on-site for that meeting? If not, how can this be done?

It requires two votes in most municipalities to get an ordinance on the books, this would be their second vote. I'm sure the media is in tune and no I do not want to contact them. No advantage to our side to have media there. I have had requests for interviews, I said no, again no advantage to keep OC legal. Besides I have no desire to be hijacked by the media.