Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New Bills in NC Legislature this session--the BIG tally...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    New Bills in NC Legislature this session--the BIG tally...

    Here are some of the more notable bills in the NC General Assembly this session:

    HB 52
    "Castle Doctrine"
    Gives people who lawfully use lethal force in self-defense civil immunity.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h52

    HB 63
    "Parking Lot Bill"
    Makes it illegal for a business owner to forbid a licensed gun owner, including an employee, from keeping a gun out of sight in a locked vehicle in the business parking lot.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h63

    HB 74
    "Castle Doctrine"
    Same as HB52, but with stronger language--gives penalties for perps (or their survivors) who try to file civil suits against their victims. Considered by many to be the better of the two Castle Doctrine bills on the floor...
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h74

    HB 111
    "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks and Retaurants"
    Allows people with CHPs to carry concealed in establishments that serve alcohol, and prohibits cities and municipalities from restricting carry in city- or county-owned public parks.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h111

    HB 184
    "Concealed Carry Permits: Elected Officials"
    Allows elected officials with CHPs to carry in state government buildings.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h184

    HB 241
    "North Carolina Firearms Freedom Act"
    Similar to the recently-enacted laws in MT, UT, AZ, AK, ID, WY, SD, and TN. This bill removes Federal jurisdiction on firearms and ammo "manufactured and retained in NC".
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h241

    HB 390
    "Repeal Pistol/Crossbow Transfer Permit"
    Would do away with the requirement for Purchase Permits for Handguns and Crossbows.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...11&BillID=H390


    If I've missed any that are important to us, please let me know, and I'll edit this list.

    I wanted to give people an "all in one" links page to this information--it will make it easier for people to track these bills, and will serve as a reminder to CALL and WRITE your reps and senators as these bills work through the General Assembly this session.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    434
    I truly had no idea crossbows required purchase permits.

    I thought you could order those things straight to your door, no?
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

    I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    I truly had no idea crossbows required purchase permits.

    I thought you could order those things straight to your door, no?
    We are the only state that requires a permit to purchase a crossbow.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I challenge anyone to show me the logic used to require PPPs for a damn crossbow. It is, at the most extreme, a cross between a long gun and a bow, neither of which require a permit.

    Also, thanks for the compilation Dreamer. It's much easier to check on the bills now.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    MODERATORS:

    Can we "sticky" this thread, please?



    --Done--
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Durham county, North Carolina
    Posts
    11

    re:

    been lurking here for a while, just joined after seeing this, thanks for the links. I just got done sending an email to my local representative.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I challenge anyone to show me the logic used to require PPPs for a damn crossbow. It is, at the most extreme, a cross between a long gun and a bow, neither of which require a permit.

    Also, thanks for the compilation Dreamer. It's much easier to check on the bills now.

    I would love to see someone do some research as to when this particular requirement was enacted and what the circumstances around its enactment were...

    A quick google search shows one person on a forum claiming that it was because of a drive by shooting with a crossbow that killed a teenager.

    Supposedly the case is "NORTH CAROLINA v. RUSSELL BRICE HINSON No. 499A94"

  8. #8
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Though unfounded, it has been my impression that it was implemented at the same time as the change to allow all hunters to use crossbows, where formerly only handicapped people were allowed to.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntersville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    231

    turn for the worse

    HB 111 has been amended and passed a 4th reading. It now says that even though you can carry in state and local parks the town can still put up signs and prohibit gun owners from carrying. Then a compromise was put in there again saying that the gun owners were able to lock their gun in their car. Very disappointed in this new version.

    It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.buildings and their appurtenant premises. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility."

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Here are some of the more notable bills in the NC General Assembly this session:

    HB 52
    "Castle Doctrine"
    Gives people who lawfully use lethal force in self-defense civil immunity.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h52

    HB 63
    "Parking Lot Bill"
    Makes it illegal for a business owner to forbid a licensed gun owner, including an employee, from keeping a gun out of sight in a locked vehicle in the business parking lot.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h63

    HB 74
    "Castle Doctrine"
    Same as HB52, but with stronger language--gives penalties for perps (or their survivors) who try to file civil suits against their victims. Considered by many to be the better of the two Castle Doctrine bills on the floor...
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=h74

    HB 111
    "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks and Retaurants"
    Allows people with CHPs to carry concealed in establishments that serve alcohol, and prohibits cities and municipalities from restricting carry in city- or county-owned public parks.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h111

    HB 184
    "Concealed Carry Permits: Elected Officials"
    Allows elected officials with CHPs to carry in state government buildings.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h184

    HB 241
    "North Carolina Firearms Freedom Act"
    Similar to the recently-enacted laws in MT, UT, AZ, AK, ID, WY, SD, and TN. This bill removes Federal jurisdiction on firearms and ammo "manufactured and retained in NC".
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h241

    HB 390
    "Repeal Pistol/Crossbow Transfer Permit"
    Would do away with the requirement for Purchase Permits for Handguns and Crossbows.
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...11&BillID=H390


    If I've missed any that are important to us, please let me know, and I'll edit this list.

    I wanted to give people an "all in one" links page to this information--it will make it easier for people to track these bills, and will serve as a reminder to CALL and WRITE your reps and senators as these bills work through the General Assembly this session.
    You missed a big one, SB 34 Castle Doctrine

  11. #11
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    You missed a big one, SB 34 Castle Doctrine
    Isn't that still roughly an equivalent to HB 74?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Isn't that still roughly an equivalent to HB 74?
    Roughly, HB74 has a provision that if you are sued and you win, the loser pays all bills. SB34 has the work place provision in it. Other than that the two are the same.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    is there anything being done to address the paid admission rule?

    i'm not saying that riding a roller coaster with a .45 strapped on is a good idea necessarily (at least with out a serious retention holster) BUT i would like to be able to go to see a movie at the theater that gets out after dark or even maybe a midnight premier and still be able to protect my self and loved ones from the door to the car
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by edrolee View Post
    is there anything being done to address the paid admission rule?

    i'm not saying that riding a roller coaster with a .45 strapped on is a good idea necessarily (at least with out a serious retention holster) BUT i would like to be able to go to see a movie at the theater that gets out after dark or even maybe a midnight premier and still be able to protect my self and loved ones from the door to the car
    Not that I know of.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    If I've missed any that are important to us, please let me know, and I'll edit this list.
    You need to add HB650 - Amend Various Gun Laws

    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...11&BillID=H650

  16. #16
    Regular Member Ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hickory, N.C.
    Posts
    134

    Cool

    HB 111 whats the current status? Clicked on link above and need a lawyer to help me figure it out...Did it pass, will it pass and if so when will it become law?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    HB 111 whats the current status? Clicked on link above and need a lawyer to help me figure it out...Did it pass, will it pass and if so when will it become law?
    Look here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...ubmitButton=Go

    It crossed over to the Senate and for the time being is on the back burner. The Senate shold pass it. Just don't know when. Have to get the budget worked out first.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hickory, N.C.
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    Look here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...ubmitButton=Go

    It crossed over to the Senate and for the time being is on the back burner. The Senate shold pass it. Just don't know when. Have to get the budget worked out first.
    Thanks for the info........

  19. #19
    Regular Member LovesHisXD45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    580
    Any updates on the status of this bill. I am crossing my fingers that it passes. It would be a good step in the right direction for NC, that's for sure.

    Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •